• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagPersonal Story and lots of deaths...Source
Ybrahim.2084
Target Source
#1 -

Was the personal story designed with the assumption that it was OK for the player to die repeatedly? I find that constantly dying in a story ABOUT MY LIFE kind of breaks the immersion. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been jumped by 8 or more mobs who dogpile me so fast I am dead before I really get to do much more than start my auto-attack. Now granted, I am an old guy, so I’m not super reflex guy, but it seems like the designers were thinking, “well, if they die they can just go on from a checkpoint.” This is true, but it is also horrendously bad storytelling.

Repeatedly dying in WvW or even regualr PvE is OK, but getting ganked by piles of mobs in an instanced quest that is supposedly tailored for you is not.

thanks,
Matt

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

For any difficulty issue (or bug, or any comment on a particular story step) please provide the name of the quest, your current objective, your class, and level. There are hundreds of different story steps, so I need specifics to know which one to look at. (Just remembering an NPC or moment in the step doesn’t help, either, since many appear in multiple branches.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#9 -

“Dead of Winter” will be adjusted in the 9/17 update, and I’ll be taking a look at “The Battle of Fort Trinity” later today (for the 9/24 update.) Again, thanks for the specific info.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#87 -

I’m not sure what the “defensive golem” is you’re using (I don’t know engineer very well) but I found that between net shot and the net turret he was immobilized most of the time, and with the thumper turret I was able to keep him occupied while I wore down his health. The turrets can be placed while you’re moving, so you don’t need to stand there and take it for the half second or so it takes to build.

Edit: I also noticed that Batana isn’t helping in the Rakt fight, which is probably making things harder than it should be. I’ll put in a fix for the 10/8 update.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#126 -

Which step are you on? Waiting for a “major overhaul” isn’t going to happen without more information. As I’ve mentioned before, I play all of the story steps with an equal level character (not downscaled) and haven’t run into any consistent issues, but if there are specific steps that are too difficult, I can look at adjusting them.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#128 -

as my original post says, the summoning mobs seem to summon to many and/or are so close together that they all pull at once, ending in me getting slaughtered. i had one dredge suit that had 7 dredge summoned in that mission (dredge assult, in the norn personal story) i can normaly dodge 1 or 2 of them but the rest just knock me down. and garrentee that i get no hits in before im downed.

Thanks, that’s extremely useful info. The dredge suits can summon up to 5 minions, but you also have a half-dozen Vigil soldiers with you. If you’re running in and aggroing all 5 minions and the suit, you probably need to slow down. I just completed this without getting hit at all during the suit attack by letting the Vigil wade in, then I picked off the suits at a distance. (I tried it with an engineer.) Most of the NPCs did get killed during the fight, but they can rezz each other, so the entire group was back up for the cave exploration step.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#137 -

I was intentionally hanging back a bit, I didn’t mean to imply that the only way to win is to stay at a distance. I also play the story steps as a d/p thief who melees everything, but I tried engineer since it’s considered one of the weaker/lighter classes. The simple truth is that we can’t take every single class/build/play style into account when we build the story steps, so they do require some flexibility. They’re also intended to be challenging, so charging directly into fights (especially when you have a handful of NPCs with you) is generally not the best route. It’s a tricky balancing act, since we can’t make the NPCs powerful enough to complete the story step with no player intervention, but in general they should act as enough of a speed bump for you to deal with the enemy. We don’t always get it right, though, which is why I’m always asking for specific information on troublesome story steps so I can give them a try and see if they should be adjusted.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#151 -

I’ll take a look at that step tomorrow. NPCs are capable of rezzing players, and we try to set any named NPC so they’ll rezz if they’re out of combat, but we have to set it on a story-by-story basis, so it’s quite possible that we missed that step.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#154 -

I just checked “Dredging Up the Past” and Sieran wasn’t flagged to resurrect players. I’ve fixed that and it should go live in a future update—though I don’t have an ETA. Thanks!