• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagStory Skipped or Changed? [merged]Source
ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#1 -

[EDIT]
Current Issues:
There is currently an issue where completing certain story steps as part of a group can change the path of your character’s story if you are not the story owner.

While we’re still working on identifying the underlying issue , we do know that the bug is triggered by players completing story missions as a group that include making a big decision or completing story missions as part of a group that check for the decisions you’ve made.

We will continue investigating this bug, but in the meantime, if you want to play it safe and lower the chances of running into this while doing group story, here are the quests you should complete solo (these are the story steps we’re aware of; there may be others).

Chapter 5

• Skritt
    • Set to Blow
  • Ogre
    • The Lost Chieftain’s Return
  • Grawl
    • Attempted Deicide
  • Quaggan
    • Evacuation
  • Hylek
    • Unholy Grounds

Chapter 7

• The Battle of Fort Trinity

Unfortunately, if you’ve already run into one of these issues, we cannot reset your progress or change your existing story path.

The problem is that there is literally no difference between a character who intentionally picked the Vigil and one who got sent there by the bug, so there’s simply no way to automatically fix affected characters. Our CS team does not have the ability to change your current quest or order, either, so it’s not something that we can manually fix on a case by case basis, either.

We will continue to monitor and update this thread as information comes in and changes are made.

Past/resolved issues:

• Initial bug: Players skipped 18 levels of personal story content after completing “Kellach’s Attack” in a group.
  • Resolution: Affected players were reset back to the personal story step they were on before the skipped content.
  • Initial bug: Players who completed the story step where an order is chosen as part of a group ended up as part of the Vigil by default.
  • Resolution: This cause behind this issue was fixed in the 10/22 patch; it should not reoccur. Unfortunately, we have no way to retroactively fix this for players who have already been affected.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#291 -

Edit: Thanks for the responses! There should be a fix on the way for the bug.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#299 -

I understand Starsky, I would be frustrated too. We’re looking in to what we can do for you guys.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#488 -

Update:

The 10/1 build should reset players who skipped forward back to the “Choose your order” step (which varies by race), though it’s a code-side change so I don’t know any details beyond that.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#491 -

No, it only affects players that skipped steps.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#508 -

The original issue that caused the skip has been fixed for some time now.

As far as I know, if you were skipped ahead, you will be reset, period.

I’m also seeing several posts that have nothing to do with this thread. If you have general problems with a story step, please post in the story forum. (After checking to see if there’s already a thread.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#528 -

I wanted to restate the fact that we have reset the accounts that were impacted by the “story-skipping bug.” This took place on October 1st. Your character now should have all the options and quests that it should have in order for you to progress the story as you desire.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you have a lot of fun catching up on the story bits that you missed and choosing the path that you desire.

There are two other semi-related bugs that I’ll update about in a few minutes.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#529 -

Now, we are aware that there are a couple of other bugs related to story steps.

1. The first involves a split in parties paths upon selection of one’s Order. I’ll update a separate thread about that and you’ll be happy to know that this one has been repro’d and a fix tentatively developed. Upon successful testing, it will be rolled to live.
  2. The second involves a similar kind of split when the party chooses their greatest fear (at level 70). This fix is under review by QA and the details are not yet fully known. It will be addressed as soon as we are able to replicate and then develop a fix.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#531 -

Would appreciate more information on this and how to best avoid running into problems.

Short answer: if you’re playing a Sylvari, don’t group with someone when they choose their order. The issue I’m aware of happens to secondary players who choose to advance their story past the “choose your order” story step, but never actually chose an order. (The player who “owned” the story step will be fine.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#541 -

As noted earlier, if you have a character who was jumped forward in their story (a while ago), you were reset back to the L26 step where you choose an order, so you won’t miss any content.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#543 -

How did you do the quest twice? Did your friend NOT accept progress the first time?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#545 -

At what point did your next quest change? Did it suddenly go from “Tower Down” to “Shell Shock”? What was your next listed step when you finished “Forging the Pact”? Just looking at the journal there’s no apparent issue, it looks like it would for any character that chose that story branch.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#558 -

Note that the “Estate of Decay” bug has nothing to do with this thread topic.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/story/Estate-of-Decay-Enter-and-find-the-Scouting-Party/374430

TL;DR Known issue, jumping on TOP of the door will allow you to interact with it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#573 -

The fix won’t hit the live servers until the 10/22 content update.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#581 -

I’ve said it before, we’ve fixed the bug to prevent it from affecting new players, but we CANNOT fix characters that have already been affected. There is NO differencetween a character that was sent to the Vigil because of the bug, and one that chose the Vigil, so there is no way to do any automatic fix. CS does NOT have the ability to change a character’s active story steps, so this is not something that can be dealt with on a case by case basis if you petition them. I wish I had better news, but I’m just being brutally honest.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#583 -

Please read my post above.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#585 -

I’ve asked out QA team to look at the second issue (order switching if you do the lesser race stories co-op). I’ll give an update once I know more.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#590 -

Hey everyone, I’ve updated the OP with the status of the bugs which caused your story to skip or be changed, and posted the current, outstanding bugs that you may still encounter if you run complete a story mission as part of a group.

If you’re new to the thread or looking for an update, you may want to re-read that post.

It was possible for the engineers to identify those accounts affected by the ‘skipping quests’ bug because there were some obvious artefacts in their character data. Since these artefacts are based on completing/not completing quests, I would assume that such a checking function exists. A script was then written, whereby these accounts were singled out automatically and then repaired as appropriate.

However, I would argue there are some criteria that would identify many (if not most) of the accounts affected by the order choice issue. Have you considered a potential query along the lines of: " ‘race:sylvari’ AND ‘order:vigil’ AND !questComplete(‘quest_vigil_1’) " and possibly also checking data/time for active quest started/previous quest completed if such data exists?

I’m not a programmer, so I can’t speak to the specific of the system, but it’s been made clear to me that there are no differentiating “artifacts” in the currently affected players’ character data. In other words, while we would reset players if it were possible, we cannot make any further retroactive fixes.

As Jeffrey stated, we’ve come to a point where we want to make this clear so that players who have been waiting for a retroactive fix know what the status of this issue is. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#610 -

Re: the sylvari quests, is this recent or something you saw a while ago? This should have been caught in the Octover round of fixes.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#617 -

When is “recently”? Which story step was it?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#622 -

That’s a known bug, that will be fixed when the Wintersday content update is rolled out shortly.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#635 -

In order to make it easier to identify new issues, a new thread for these bugs has been started here that also includes updates on the Forging the Pact quest.

Thank you for reporting these issues; this thread will now be closed.