• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagWho sets Gem prices?Source
Colonel Kernel.7506
Target Source
#1 -

I can’t even put in a buy order.

Very disappointing.

And the insane inflation of Gems is another matter. Rising over 30s/100 in just over a week is ridiculous.

Seriously, who’s setting Gem prices? Is it the sellers?

Or is it ANet/NCSoft/Nexon?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#22 -

Out of curiosity, how many feel that a 100% free market would be a good idea?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#34 -

You can’t have anything resembling a free market is this game (or any game for that matter), Anet, is basically the God of GW2, anything you do to the game (bugs, fixes, added content. Node respawns etc…) can destroy or create markets in minutes. So It would make no sense to do such a thing or even pretend to do such a thing.

That is correct, there has never been a completely free market in any MMO, patches and fixes modify markets. For the sake of this argument though I think you have to assume (you know economist really don’t like assuming :P ) that the game design is static.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#36 -

In order to keep this discussion productive we should try a couple of things (I know it’s the internet, but I have faith in all of us ):

1. Provide evidence of our opinions, assuming your experience is indicative of all experiences is a fallacy.

2. Don’t poison the well.

3. Make an attempt to be unbiased.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#102 -

I do.

And the whole "no real free market exists’ thing is red herring.

What we have now for gems is a completely fake free market – you guys made an algorithm that lets the trade value shift slightly – but the algorithm has aa strong attractor for the point you would prefer.

So what we mean when we say we want a free market is that people make sell and buy order for gems with no restrictions.

The intent of this was to provoke an academic debate over whether players thought a free market would be superior.

I’m not asking if you want a free market, I’m asking for players to discuss why or why not they think a free market would be better.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#104 -

(you know economist really don’t like assuming :P )

I’m a 4th year Econ major and what is this?

90% of everything I’ve ever done is grounded in some pretty ridiculous assumptions the get absolutely crushed in real world scenarios. The ones that don’t get crushed are universally necessary, like ceteris paribus.

That’s the joke I was making.

A doctor, an engineer and an economist are in a shipwreck and stranded on a island alone.
The doctor says I’m going to go look for the food and water that we’ll need to survive.
The engineer says don’t bother, I can build a radio out of anything.
The economist says, you people are crazy, I’m just going to assume a boat is right over there.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#107 -

- The acknowledgement of price manipulation leads to more distrust of the current system.

Can you elaborate on this?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#109 -

There has been no price manipulation, there is a transaction fee, I don’t feel these are the same thing.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#296 -

There seems to be some confusion:
The currency exchange has a supply of Gems and Gold.

If players are converting Gold to Gems, then the Amount of Gold player will receive for their gems goes up.
If players are converting Gems to Gold, then the amount of Gems players receive for Gold goes up.

The exchange rate changes based on the scarcity of each supply. You cannot inflate it, it’s an exchange rate. As players purchase in one direction, it entices purchases in the other direction.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#298 -

John, thank you for confirming (at least in part) how the currency exchange works.

Another issue that is often debated is to what extent (if any) the initial exchange rates (and possibly initial supply of gold and gems) when the game launched have on the current rates. Are you able to provide any insight on this?

Virtually none at this point.