• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagAuthenticator Questions/Concerns [merged]Source
ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#1 -

Please post in this thread if you have issues, questions, or concerns about the Guild Wars 2 authentication system (either the mobile or *email" authentication systems).

Note: If you resolve your issue, please post an update here, as well, so our Security Team can focus on the continuing issues and so they know when things are resolved. If you did certain things to correct your particular issue, please share them.

Thanks!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#6 -

No worries. We’re improving security and you’ll see a forum announcement here that explains.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#44 -

As you may have read in Mike O’Brien’s article on account security, we will have other options for authentication that you may choose to use. This will be coming in the near future.

As a side note, I’m sort of surprised that the system would send to you for a dynamic IP situation, since the IP would still be in that same location. I had believed that an IP at 12.34.567.890 would be considered “the same” (geographically) as 12.34.567.9. So I rather believed that a player would not be asked to authenticate every time.

I’ll ask the team about this.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#45 -

If you’re having issues like this, please contact Support and they will help you. We certainly do not want you to be unable to authenticate, or to find that authentication is a problem.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#50 -

As a side note, I’m sort of surprised that the system would send to you for a dynamic IP situation, since the IP would still be in that same location. I had believed that an IP at 12.34.567.890 would be considered “the same” (geographically) as 12.34.567.9. So I rather believed that a player would not be asked to authenticate every time.

I can only speak for German users, but our biggest ISP (>10 million customers) allocates addresses from several completely different subnets on every reconnect.

Thank you for that insight, Iruwen. I was not aware of that.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#53 -

I think this will be helpful: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/E-Mail-Authentication-Tweaks-to-Increase-Security/first#post241425

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#54 -

I am not getting any email so I can’t log in.
I checked the trash email folder and no email in there either.

How do I play now?

I think you should contact Support. Click the tab at the top of this forum and review the answers in the Knowledge Base. If they do not help you, please go to “Ask a Question” and submit a ticket.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#107 -

Fastest support ever.. Didn’t even take 24 hours. Thanks! Can be locked.

Woot! Thanks for that update. * beams happily *

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#123 -

-snip-

So can you please add an option in the Account Management to allow us to choose which countries we might be willing to allow access to our account from

Because hackers proxy into all sort of “legitimate” countries, I don’t think this is a good or viable idea at all.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#139 -

I’m sorry that you’re experiencing this inconvenience. The answer may be the large pool of IP addresses used by your Internet Service Provider (as mentioned in the forum post above). So where in the past IP locations generally appeared nearby, they seem to be spreading out a bit and someone in Chicago may see “an access attempt” (by them ) in Florida. A player in the UK was getting IPs that were listed as being 400 miles distant from him, and yet they were all legitimate, and all reflected his own legitimate access attempts.

If this is a considerable inconvenience, I think it would be helpful to gather information about your particular situation. Consider filing a ticket and provide:

• The name of your ISP
  • Your location
  • Various IP addresses that you are asked to validate

Alternately, have you considered using Mobile Two-Factor Authentication, instead?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#146 -

The Support Team will be able to help you. Disabling one does not automatically enable the other so get in touch (use the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page) and an agent will lend a hand.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#148 -

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9222

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#152 -

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked, but any sort of information on this matter would be very helpful.

Is ANet planning on creating their own Authenticator?

Thank you

There’s nothing in the works at this time, but there’s always a possibility that this will be something we undertake in the future.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#182 -

Just happened to me a few minutes ago… thank goodness for email authentication. I just changed my password to something a lot more complicated. Let them try it again

That’s exactly what you should do. Thanks for posting.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#203 -

Keyloggers are usually related to computers, and phishing, and personal security, and generally are not specific to a game. They are common with bot and exploit programs, which is one of the reasons we discourage the use of third-party programs.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#222 -

Are there any thoughts on possibly adding the option to use a Key-Chain device Authentication to log in with?

No plans at this time, although it has been discussed. There are issues with any system, and I don’t think we’re heading down that road.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#223 -

I see quite a few questions for which you can find answers on the Knowledge Base.

For questions about E-mail Authentication, see this post.

For questions about Two-Factor (mobile) Authentication, please see our FAQ.

If you continue to have questions, please read through this thread for player-to-player assistance, or contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#227 -

Are there any thoughts on possibly adding the option to use a Key-Chain device Authentication to log in with?

No plans at this time, although it has been discussed. There are issues with any system, and I don’t think we’re heading down that road.

This can already be done easily with any TOTP capable device (if ANet correctly implemented TOTP according to RFC 6238, wich they did according to the FAQ), please see my post and Keiko’s very good detailed reply on how to do it with a Yubikey here. The Battle.net authenticator Blizzard offers also is just a branded Vasco DIGIPASS GO 6, so this device could also be used (it’s more expensive but also a bit more secure because it doesn’t require a client component).
Also see this thread. Should I create a separate thread on that topic? Seems to be asked frequently. You could also add it to the FAQ for convenience.

Thanks for the info, Iruwen! I’m sure that folks who are asking this will be wise enough to search this thread and find the details you’ve provided. I’m not sure about adding it to the FAQ because since we are not offering the “dongle,” we cannot support it, and having it in the FAQ might confuse the issue.

But this is good info and thanks again for posting.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#247 -

Once you remember a location, the mobile authenticator does not ask you about that particular location again. It will ask you about different locations, of course.

The two-factor/mobile authentication system is still in beta form, and I believe that in the final form, you will have the option to tell it “Don’t remember locations; ask me every time” which I believe is what a few of you would like to see.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#252 -

No, it’s not supposed to do that.

I was looking at the Authentication FAQ., and I don’t know that there’s anything there that would help you. Perhaps another player can respond here if they have overcome this “refresh” situation, but if not, I’d suggest you contact Support.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#252 -

Found this article: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Beta-Feature-Mobile-Two-Factor-Authentication/first#post398418 See if that helps, ok?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#270 -

I’ll check into this. I know once an IP is accepted, the authenticator won’t ask you for another approval, and going to a friend’s house may call into the same IP. However, it’s worth asking about, so I will!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#273 -

Ok, I checked with Security, and these situations appear to be a simple misunderstanding of how the authenticator works.

When you log into an IP (or an IP range — a cluster of nearby IP addresses) you will receive a message asking you to verify that IP as “accepted.” This is commonly called “whitelisting” the IP.

If you log into an IP or IP range in the future, you will not get a message because you’re already said “This IP is ok — allow my account to be accessed from this IP.”

In the future, we will allow you to always require approval of an IP, even if it’s you logging in for the fourth time in a day from the same computer at the same location. That will be your choice, and many people recommend that you do choose that option once it becomes available.

But right now, in beta form, the authenticator “whitelists” the IPs you approve and then does not ask you to approve them again.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#283 -

A few people have asked about which physical authenticator would be likely to work with Guild Wars 2. According to our Security Team, any configurable RFC 6238 device should be compatible.

We cannot provide technical support for physical authenticators, but I hope this info is helpful to you.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#334 -

HELP!!!!!

my friend bought the game today and we made an account and tried to add an authenticator to his account and when we went to sign in on the account it was not asking for it so we never made a character and he said forge the authenticator because it was giving us problems linking with his account so we deleted the app…. so he goes to play the game and it asks for the aunthenticator and he cannot unlink the authenticator because we never made a character (need character name along with serial code)

PLEASE REPLY FAST

Please ask him to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist your friend with this situation. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please ask him to review this post and provide as much as possible to expedite the ticket.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#340 -

I have just tried to play this game again for the first time in a few months and was told I was signing in from a different ip even though this is the same PC I used to play the game with before, and that I had to verify the log-in via email. I opened my email and was told a log-in attempt was awaiting authorization with this underneath:

Address: 2.121.79.178
City: Caddington
Region: A5

I don’t even know where Caddington is lol… So I came onto the forums and found this thread and after reading a couple of pages and skimming the rest someone said you can type what is my ip into google and verifiy the ip is correct, which is it. I was still wary of allowing it though as the City was not one I knew, but since I only got these emails the few occasions I tried logging in today then I’m hoping it’s ok.

If in doubt about an IP address, I recommend that you contact your ISP and ask them about it. For instance, “I’m in Portsmouth, but the IP address says I’m in Edinburgh. Should my ‘dynamic IP’ be quite that dynamic?” They can tell you if the addresses being offered are legitimate, or if someone is trying to sneak onto your account. If you’re at all uncomfortable, I suggest changing your password, and making sure it’s unique to GW2 only and very complex.

Hi,
Early this morning when i try to log into my game with mobile authenticator. It have stop me from logging in. It just keep showing me that Invalid Username and/or Password. Keep asking me to do a Recovery on my Account which i did and reset my password. It still doesn’t work at all. The only reason i can post on here is that i disable the Mobile Authenticator. I have tried to link back with the mobile authenticator but it can’t go through.

I really like to use Mobile Authenticator rather then using email to verify. Using Email to Verify is not a good ideal for me since my email itself need to be verify via SMS. Which now i’m force to use it or no Authenticator at all.

Hope to heard from you soon for any resolve.
Thanks and keep me posted A.S.A.P .

I believe that Support can help with this. Could you contact them? I will post a link in this thread.

I’ve been forced to authenticate every login attempt from the same IP address ever since I got the game.

I thank your help in advance.

This could happen if your ISP had an extremely “dynamic” set of IPs. But every time? That can be an inconvenience. (Although, in point of fact, other players have requested that level of authentication.) If you want help, please go ahead and contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They should be able to assist or advise you.

I am not a computer gamer per say, just a registered nurse working on a Doctorate/PH D. I am unable to log into my game account due to email verification problems which was forced upon me without my say so. I would ask that arena networks consider installing a tog gable verification option as my next action will be to simply delete gw2 from my computer and never play it again. Hello Gaile “froggy” G.

Amby, email authentication should not be “forced on” anyone. If you don’t want authentication, get in touch with Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you remove authentication.

I personally recommend that you keep it, and I’m hoping that you will, and that Support can help you keep auth and get into the game easily and smoothly.

Froggie says, "I do not understand ‘uninstall,’ but judging from the ghastly pallor of my human friend’s face, this thing called “uninstall” must be bad in the extreme. The Frog encourages you to reach out to Those Who Serve for assistance."

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#415 -

For the second time my account somehow got compromised.
I have for the second time successfully reclaimed my account.

I have e-mail verification enabled.

I have viewed my account’s Authorised Networks and all the network’s IPs are located in Britain (where I live).

Either the individual(s) who have compromised my account in the past are situated in Britain or they are somehow able to by-pass my email Authentication.
I have been getting emails telling me that IPs in China (as an example) have been trying to access my account. So, the Authentication system is working on some threats.

I would like to understand why this is happening.

P.S. I do not own a Smart Phone, therefore I cannot take advantage of the Smart Phone App verification. I own a none-smart phone. It feels like upgrading to a smart phone to protect my account is rather petty.

Because this involves security, I’d like to suggest that you confer with an agent about this via a ticket. It would not be prudent for us to discuss the matter in a public forum, since the information involved is related to your security, and because in a general sense, talking about this might provide details that a would-be hacker could capitalize upon for others in a situation similar to yours.