• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagForum users ARE NOT the minoritySource
Lordrosicky.5813
Target Source
#1 -

I hate it when people say forum users are the minority of the community.

We aren’t. Anyone who knows about maths and sampling knows that forum goers provide a snapshot of the community and what we say reflects generally the feelings of the whole player base.

I know forum users = self selected sample so we arent totally reliable for feedback but that doesnt mean the people here and on other forums culminate to be a minority. It doesnt.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#111 -

In the strictest of terms, the number of people who post on the forums is a minority of the game population as a whole. The forums do provide a modest, self-selected sampling of the player population, but so do fansite forums, twitter and facebook.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#121 -

In the strictest of terms, the number of people who post on the forums is a minority of the game population as a whole. The forums do provide a modest, self-selected sampling of the player population, but so do fansite forums, twitter and facebook.

Thanks for the response. Out of curiosity, for what purpose, in ArenaNet’s view, are these forums? Since you can get similar samplings from the aforementioned fansites, twitter, etc., I’m thinking perhaps ArenaNet has something else in mind?

First off, we definitely value feedback from the forums. Just because the forums don’t make up the majority, or the only sampling, does not mean we do not value your feedback.

The forums, however, are multipurpose. The forums are meant to be a place for Guild Wars 2 players to gather, share wisdom, help each other out and more. If you haven’t been over to the Players Helping Players subforum, I recommend you check it out. The purpose of that subforum is for questions to be asked and answered by other players and it serves that purpose. The account issues forum’s aim is for players to get account help from ArenaNet staff. The Black Lion Trading Company forum is full of people speculating on the trading post market. Fan-generated content is full of threads sharing fan art, fanfiction and machinima. There are some really cool things shared over there.

A game’s community is not limited to one forum though. Some people prefer facebook, twitter or fansites for sharing and discussion. Others, like yourselves, prefer official forums. We understand that not everybody is participating on our forums and it behooves us to pay attention to feedback from all avenues.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#171 -

Okay everybody, this argument is getting a bit circular now. What’s important is the following.

• The forum population is not a majority, but does provide valuable feedback which we do take into account, along with feedback from other sources.
  • The silent majority is not all in-favor or against. Their opinions vary as much as any group of people’s opinions tend to.
  • They are players just like you. They voice their opinions by either playing or not playing.
  • Others not on the forums show their opinions on their personal blogs, fansites, twitter and facebook.
  • Everybody’s opinions are important and valuable.

I hope this clears some things up. I’m going to close this thread now. Please continue to provide us with feedback to help us to continue improving Guild Wars 2.