• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagCan not play due to screen going blackSource
Warborn.3621
Target Source
#1 -

Just started GW2. First day was fine, played a few hours. Second day again played about 4 hours with no issues. Then it started. Screen goes black, can still hear music, have to hard reboot the computer. Changed Nvidia panel setting as recommended, changed in-game settings as recommended, GPU running cool etc. What is going on here? I see a lot of people with the same problem. I have never experienced this on any other game, EQ, WoW etc., everything runs fine on high settings. Now screen goes black 1 min into the game.

Win7 64
i7 CPU
GTX 285, 306.97 driver.
1000W PSU
12G RAM

Help?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#3 -

Hi Warborn – First, I’d like for you to try updating your DirectX. The game client requires the latest DirectX 9 components; this is true even if you have DirectX 10 or higher already installed. Please follow the instructions at Microsoft’s web site to install the newest DirectX 9 update:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

Please be sure to save the file to your Windows desktop. Then create a new folder on the desktop and extract the DirectX files into it. Once they have been extracted open the new folder and use the DXsetup file to install DirectX.

If that doesn’t work then I would deleting the local.dat file and repairing the client (navigate to Documents\Guild Wars 2).

Unfortunately there isn’t one set “fix” that will resolve this issue as it does seem to vary from player to player depending on their individual setups and when exactlty they experience the black screen.