• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagCharacter Select Screen caps at 50fpsSource
SHUYIN.8940
Target Source
#1 -

Recently when logging into the game I have found that the frame rate at the character select screen is capped at 50fps. If I enable Vsync it then corrects itself to 60fps. Disabling Vsync returns it to 50fps. Frame Limiter is set to Unlimited. I know this is not caused by the CPU/GPU because in game fps averages higher than 50 (55-75fps) and sometimes when logging in or returning to the character select screen the frame rate is the expected 60-63fps.

This has been noticed on a computer w/ AMD FX-8350 paired with Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB. I have also seen this 50fps cap, though on much rarer occasion, on an Intel i5-3570k paired with XFX Radeon 7850 2GB.

Note: CPU/GPU/RAM are all running stock.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

This is by design. We cap the frame-rate in non-gameplay views. Previously, on a mid-high end rig, the frame-rate would reach numbers of 500 or higher (I was getting 2300 FPS in Character Select). This would cause your computer hardware to overwork itself, or in some situations, overheat and/or make an extremely obnoxious whining noise.

I believe cinematics, character create/select and loading screens are all hard-capped at your monitor’s native refresh-rate.

Believe me, hearing the deathly sound coming from my video card scared the life out of me.

:D

-Bill

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

I agree, that does sound odd. Do you have your refresh-rate set at Default or did you specify it in your Graphics Options?