• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagKarka Chest Distribution [merged]Source
ldyAmalthea.5028
Target Source
#1 -

I am uncertain if this is the correct place to post this but I would like some assistance.

All of the players that I know have received one of these boxes. These players have completed the event, received the chest at the end, and still received one of these items through game.

My husband and I have not received this mailed item. Can this be corrected please?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

Edit: I had originally suggested that those who did not receive a chest should submit a support ticket, but at this point I do not think that is necessary, because we’re researching more broadly and whatever we find out should resolve this for everyone.

You’re welcome to submit a ticket, but it is not necessary to do so. We can fix this for those involved without individual tickets.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

Edit: See above. I don’t believe that it’s necessary to submit a ticket.

But please be sure your mailbox on your account is empty so you can receive the chest. In a few cases, it might be queued up but unable to slip into the box because it’s full.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#48 -

Several threads have popped up about the Karka Chests and their distribution.

Please post in this thread if you have question, concerns, etc.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#64 -

Guys,

We are looking into this matter. We initially believed that anyone who earned a chest surely would receive one, and that is why the email refers to clearing the mailbox. We believed yesterday that the list was complete and all earned chests were distributed. However, we have noted continued questions about the matter and we are not discounting that there may be an issue. The team will get to the bottom of it and I’ll update you when we know more.

P.S. The “copy paste” complaints are sorta silly. When we have a distribution of thousands, if not tens of thousands of items, it makes sense to develop solid messaging to send those whose who contact us, no? While you might feel that each answer should be individually hand-crafted for you, I make no apologies for a well-written, clear, and concise “form letter” when it serves the purpose. Better than than having a dozen messages written just enough differently that players wonder “Does that mean what that other thing said, or is it somewhat different? Is that guy going to get something I don’t get?” So please forgive the “form letter” but please try to understand the absolute value of sending that form of response in specific cases. That’s value for us, for you, for greater justi… I mean for greater clarity!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#73 -

I wanted to add a note: I don’t see how it is possible — given the coding for the distribution — that someone who did not log into the event at all would have received a chest in yesterday’s distribution. Maybe they forgot they logged in, but the way the distribution was configured persuades me that they did attend and that it why they received the chest.

Let’s be sure we don’t get into “I know a guy who…” discussions, but keep the topic ON topic and relevant to the discussion. If there is an issue, we’ll fix it!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#81 -

Wow, I know you want your chests, and I agree – if you qualified, you should get them. But please keep the posts positive and stop the aggressive attacks. I shouldn’t have to flag posts for flaming and attacks five minutes after I’ve given a few detailed responses. Let’s keep it helpful, contributing, and friendly!

What more can I say to those who post in all caps, post flames, or demand an immediate answer? There is no immediate answer, that we can give, because the issue is still being investigated.

Are we saying you’re wrong? Definitely not!
Are we doing our best to investigate and find out what happened? Yes!
Will every single one of you who posts get a chest? I don’t know yet, but if you participated and if you earned it, you should get it, and we acknowledge that fact.

Please allow us the time to investigate this issue.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#87 -

Gaile Gray, just to be clear as this doesn’t seem to have gone through to the devs. Any script that applies to people who logged on to the event will only make matters worse at this stage. There is a huge portion of the community (i.e. Australia, and people with jobs and other commitments) who were unable to attend, and are angry about that. Many would have attended, and did log on to whatever parts of the Lost Shores they could. This is only adding insult to injury.

Thank you to ANet for trying to fix this, but please take this into consideration for the next fix.

Just so you know, the devs created, reviewed, and implemented the script.

And yes, I do understand your comments about “one time” events. I have a lot of GW and GW2 friends in your part of the world, and I think of you every event, because I know the timezone differences can make attendance challenging. Thanks for your positive comments and suggestions.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#93 -

I feel the same way, most we can do is hope we atleast get something and if not keep complaining. I just can’t believe people who hadn’t logged on for days are getting them, that’s a real kick in the face.

I can’t believe that, either, Kurama — in fact I do not believe it. Talking to the people involved in the creation of the script, I just don’t see how an account that wasn’t even logged in — at all! — could get a chest. I would like to hear from someone who was in that situation, who flat out states, “I did not log into the game during the entire event, and yet I got a chest.”

• We have plenty of reports of people who got a chest who earned it.
  • We know of players who did not receive the chest, and we’re working on that.
  • We have a few reports of people who got a second chest. (No, to answer the question, do not expect a second chest if you got one — those who got a second got it in error, but we’re not going to take it away, nor are we giving out “second helpings” to everyone. )
  • I don’t know of anyone who flat-out did not earn the chest who got one. I’d love to hear from that person!

Thanks for your patience as we look into this whole situation.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#94 -

Yeah! Gaile is the support mastermind, she just interfaces with the public while the developers scurry in the background to figure out what’s going on. They’re definitely involved, guys, don’t worry about that fact. I didn’t get my chest, and while I think I deserve one considering the criteria Gaile has described, I’m not all that worried. I’m sure it’ll get sorted out, and if not, there will hopefully be more super-awesome-epic chests in the future for me to try my hand at earning.

I appreciate the ANet teams’ effort in trying to reward people who suffered disconnects and the like during this event. I think that’s just swell and really commendable; most companies would say it was your fault and to deal with it. This sort of dedication to fairness is part of what separates ANet from the crowd.

Oh man. This is a day-brightener, and thank you for posting this.

I know people are upset. And I understand why, I really do.

We’ll get it sorted!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#99 -

Guys,

We are looking into this matter. We initially believed that anyone who earned a chest surely would receive one, and that is why the email refers to clearing the mailbox. We believed yesterday that the list was complete and all earned chests were distributed. However, we have noted continued questions about the matter and we are not discounting that there may be an issue. The team will get to the bottom of it and I’ll update you when we know more.

P.S. The “copy paste” complaints are sorta silly. When we have a distribution of thousands, if not tens of thousands of items, it makes sense to develop solid messaging to send those whose who contact us, no? While you might feel that each answer should be individually hand-crafted for you, I make no apologies for a well-written, clear, and concise “form letter” when it serves the purpose. Better than than having a dozen messages written just enough differently that players wonder “Does that mean what that other thing said, or is it somewhat different? Is that guy going to get something I don’t get?” So please forgive the “form letter” but please try to understand the absolute value of sending that form of response in specific cases. That’s value for us, for you, for greater justi… I mean for greater clarity!

Thanks for the clarification, Gaile.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out quickly, and I will not have to keep running back to my pc every five minutes to see what is going on.

P.S. Your point regarding the copy-paste answers is well-made and true. I apologize for kittening about it here and elsewhere, as I had not considered the sheer volume of support requests (or screaming hysterics, depending on your point of view) that are sure to be cluttering Support’s inboxes.

Wow, another positive post, and I’m frankly really surprised. People hate “form letters,” and I do, too. But being on the other side, I know how important it is for us to get you information that you need, and I’d rather “form letter it” than have you get confusing info, or have a response miss some of the details you need, etc. Our agents are great at responding, and I trust they’d get it right, but for large-scale issues, honestly, a “form letter” is better for everyone, because it gives you as much information as possible as clearly as possible. (Well, “clearly” if I’m doing a good job writing it up. )

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#115 -

Furthermore I already stated this, but never NEVER ever do something like this during the off hours, but do it during business hours so you can jump on any problems immediately. This is just another major F-up by you guys.

Wow. You’ll go far rolleyes

The script was run during business hours (Based off the posts, sometime between 11am-12pm Pacific time). It apparently took longer than they estimated, however, and ran late.

Not sure of the surprise “Lock you out of the website and game” maintenance was related or not.

The maintenance was unrelated, you’re correct.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#118 -

I feel the same way, most we can do is hope we atleast get something and if not keep complaining. I just can’t believe people who hadn’t logged on for days are getting them, that’s a real kick in the face.

I can’t believe that, either, Kurama — in fact I do not believe it. Talking to the people involved in the creation of the script, I just don’t see how an account that wasn’t even logged in — at all! — could get a chest. I would like to hear from someone who was in that situation, who flat out states, “I did not log into the game during the entire event, and yet I got a chest.”

• We have plenty of reports of people who got a chest who earned it.
  • We have a few reports of people who got a second chest. (No, to answer the question, do not expect a second chest if you got one — those who got a second got it in error, but we’re not going to take it away, nor are we giving out “second” to everyone.)
  • I don’t know of anyone who flat-out did not earn the chest who got one. I’d love to hear from that person!

Thanks for your patience as we look into this whole situation.

I know I’m doing the “I know someone….” thing, but I know for a solid fact that my boyfriend did not log in at all during the event… actually none of the phases. He slept through the whole entire weekend event stuff :p But he did end up receiving a chest yesterday (I still haven’t).
And the reason why I know he wasn’t logged in is because my steam will pop up a message anytime he logs in (it automatically logs him in when he starts up his computer), and I didn’t see the “so and so is now online” pop up in game. I swear I don’t stalk him
Oh, and I also was discussing this stuff with him yesterday as well

Wow, this is good information. Can you PM me his display name? (Don’t worry, we won’t take away the chest, but if you’re positive he did not attend, it would be good research to see why he received a chest! Thanks.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#121 -

ETA: I realized after I posted this that the devs are already aware of the mailbox capacity issue.

I discovered something last night that I think may be of help in tracking down the issue.

I logged in and saw that I didn’t have the chest, and my mailbox was not full – I was only at 50% of capacity. I figured since I had my mail open anyway, I might as well clear out some messages I didn’t need to keep.

When I started clearing out the messages, more messages instantly appeared to replace them (at a one-to-one ratio, so not just a coincidence) even though my box wasn’t reading as full in the first place. One of those replacement messages was the karka reward.

Is it possible that the problem might involve the script perceiving the recipient mailbox as full even if it isn’t? Because I’m fairly sure that happened with my account, so it may have happened to others. Just a thought.

Very valuable information, Anakita — thank you for posting this!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#123 -

Gaile, I got a chest even though I did not participate in the final event. I was in Southsun Cove earlier in the weekend and logged in just after the Ancient Karka event ended. After some hesitation I opened it, assuming it was for being in the zone earlier in the weekend (or having gotten my account into Southsun when the even was officially still going on) and just not having the time to participate and/or for responding to the questionnaire that was sent out after the event.

Were any of these reasons to get the chest and if not what should I do with the items i got from it? destroy them?

Good report, and very appreciated. Please do not destroy the chest — you’re ok to keep it,. And again, this info is helpful in investigating the issue.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#134 -

So let me see if I’ve got this down. My entire guild, and basically everyone else I’ve seen, gets a second, third, sixth chest, but I do not. What kind of college trainees code for Anet anyways? Everything that happens reeks of amateur failure.

After almost 1,100 hours played (as a ranger, please kill me now) this is the last straw. I can’t do it anymore. Done with the game after this weekend, which sadly is the weekend I’ll be getting a legendary.

Flame on, idiot fanboys. I no longer care.

You’re getting lengendary, and on a Ranger, without doubt the best profession in the game. (Yes, I’m serious!)

Don’t give up now. We’ll get this sorted and I really think you’ll continue to enjoy the game, especially with Wintersday coming and more cool things in the future.

And no, I’m not paid to post this stuff. Yeah, sure, I post, but this one is coming from the heart.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#135 -

I just sent over a bunch of names. We have several people looking at this from various angles. Be assured we are on the case. It’s Friday, nearly mid-day, and I can’t make you any sort of promise that we’ll get this sorted today. But please, please know we are actively reviewing this, and I truly believe that those of you who qualify will get your chests!

Thanks, once again, for your patience.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#138 -

Gaile Gray can i just ask a question, which if answered could really make me and many others relax.

The question is : If I (we) have attended the final event, played it for many hours, and crashed at the end of it ( in my case i died , tried do rez trough a wp but infinite loading and then could’nt log in back), am i qualified to get the chest?

I am not asking " Can i have a chest", cause i may be a liar, i may already have got 10 of them, everything you want.

I just ask if actually playing the event count for get the chest, doesn’t matter if today, tomorrow or if in 1 month.
I just ask to know if you value that for giving the chest and we can count that things will be fixed up.

Please.

Simply, with what you have outlined, yes you will.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#140 -

So let me see if I’ve got this down. My entire guild, and basically everyone else I’ve seen, gets a second, third, sixth chest, but I do not. What kind of college trainees code for Anet anyways? Everything that happens reeks of amateur failure.

After almost 1,100 hours played (as a ranger, please kill me now) this is the last straw. I can’t do it anymore. Done with the game after this weekend, which sadly is the weekend I’ll be getting a legendary.

Flame on, idiot fanboys. I no longer care.

You’re getting lengendary, and on a Ranger, without doubt the best profession in the game. (Yes, I’m serious!)

Don’t give up now. We’ll get this sorted and I really think you’ll continue to enjoy the game, especially with Wintersday coming and more cool things in the future.

And no, I’m not paid to post this stuff. Yeah, sure, I post, but this one is coming from the heart.

You honestly reckon ranger is the best? blushes oh stop you , hopefully I get a leaf of kudzu precursor for my ranger in my reward then wink wink :p

I am not saying “most powerful” or “most balanced” or “most likely to win in a snowball fight.” But I love, Love, LOVE the Ranger, and when I hear “Legendary” from a Ranger, well, my heart expands just a bit.

on a Ranger, without doubt the best profession in the game.

Have you started a GW2 bow collection?

Not yet. But I will.

And I have gotten totally off-topic and I do apologize. I know better, and I should be ashamed of myself and it shall not happen again. * wink, wink *

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#172 -

So now that it’s been pretty much proven that ALOT of people have been mailed the chest that did NOT attend the final event and are able to keep the chests dosent this cause problems with the entire community?

Is that proven? I don’t really see that many people saying “I didn’t attend and I got a chest.” In fact, I’m trying to find people who, for instance, didn’t log in all weekend, and positively did not attend the event at all, but who actually got a chest. Haven’t found but one, and I’m looking into that.

There’s no denying that some people got a second chest without needing it. And there’s no denying that some people who earned the chest didn’t get one. I’m just not seeing the “I didn’t attend and got a chest in my mailbox” comments.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#174 -

First, those of you newly posting — please read up, look for the red ArenaNet tag, and you’ll be updated on what we’re saying. No worries — we are on the case.

Also, random comments:

• No one is pushing this under the rug, Wintersday or no Wintersday. We’ll work on this until we can resolve it.
  • I don’t know that we’ll have this resolved today, or even in a few days, but I have confidence that any issues will be resolved as soon as possible. Remember, there’s an issue (in that not everyone who qualified got a chest). The first order of business needs to be finding that issue and resolving it, so that we know why some of you didn’t get your chests.
  • Not everyone who got a chest in the event got a second chest later. Some did, yes, and they may keep the chest or — better still! — pay it forward by sharing with someone else. But most who got the chests didn’t get a second one.
  • Admittedly, the “you did not qualify” response does not apply to everyone, although it does apply to some players. We’ve stopped sending that, to avoid confusion.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#178 -

Not to say much, but it’s highly unlikely many people are going to post they didn’t attend yet got a reward mail. It’s simple statistics. Only a small portion of the playerbase posts on the forums and even a smaller portion of that will have received a mail while not having attended the event at all.

It would be faster to check the accounts that got a mail to the login records of that day.

You are correct, but I am hoping that a few people will give me this data, and I feel it does not hurt to ask it here. It’s not as if we would go onto their account and delete the chest — I just want some actual cases of this — where someone did not log into the event at any time — to help our programmers assess the situation.

Can’t hurt to ask, right?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#181 -

I have seen several posts on various sites with people claiming they got the chests and weren’t on. Google searches can be done to find them all. That’s not to say that all of the reports are accurate, I assume some are trolling. The main problem seems to exist for those of us who were trying to participate and couldn’t log in due to server error. We were not on and there is no way to prove why. It would be so easy to claim we tried and not have actually done so. In this situation we might be left in the cold.

Tell them to post here, then Anet would have their user ID to investigate.

But then, of course, they would likely be worried about the Devs investigating and calling them out for lying.

Be assured that no one is going to call anyone a liar. And no one is going to go onto the account and remove the unearned chest.

As I’ve said, I’m simply looking for some actual cases where a player’s account absolutely was not involved in the event in any way, shape, or form. The best ones would be where someone didn’t log onto his computer at all, so as to avoid the cases where someone, somehow got credit for being a participant in the event by being in the game.

It’s not a big deal, we can get this data, I was just mentioning it in case someone was able to provide the info and I could save some time for the folks investigating the bigger issue.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#197 -
  • Not everyone who got a chest in the event got a second chest later. Some did, yes, and they may keep the chest or — better still! — pay it forward by sharing with someone else. But most who got the chests didn’t get a second one.

Gaile,

I’ve known you for years (GW1 Ascalon gatherings, good days) and I am honestly so disappointed at your approach on this. Despite your commendable effort in soothing the community, this has to go on a “how not to do customer care” manual somewhere.

You are basically saying that so many people will wrongfully get an extra chest while others (and I don’t mean the ones with disconnecting issues, who have to yell to get what it’s due) will finish the event empty handed.

Every other MMO company has seen itself in this situation and has done the right thing. Please, please, please stop alienating your fan base and do the right thing too.

Thanks,
A player who has been hooked to GW since 2004 beta weekends.

Nice to see you, and thanks for your support all these years.

I have to gently correct you, however. I have not said “You will be out of luck!” Please do a search of the dev tracker, or toggle my name and you’ll see I have said repeatedly that we will address this issue fairly. That doesn’t mean we’ll rely on pass-alongs, that was an idea I came up with on my own, not at all part of the solution!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#199 -

Those of you posting “They’ll just sweep it under the rug” or “They won’t help us” or other concerns need to pay attention: We are investigating this issue. We will address this as fully and as completely as possible.

Please stop and read the thread before posting negative and non-contributory posts.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#201 -

Hi Gaile,

I attended the event, and looted the end chest without issue. As of last night, I have not received an ancient karka chest in the mail. I assumed this was expected, but others are saying there are people getting their second ancient karka chests in the mail. Should I expect to receive one at some point too? Not super concerned either way, just curious.

Thanks!

You will not automatically receive a second chest if you successfully looted the chest during the event. Please do not expect a second one.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#202 -

Gaile, yesterday you told us to wait until today and submit tickets if we didn’t get a chest in the mail but feel we should.

Now, I’ve just read your post that tells us your people are still looking into the issue of people not receiving anything. Should we wait for the results of that, or file our tickets anyway so our circumstances can perhaps be taken into account as part of that investigation?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

If you already filed a ticket, that’s fine. But there is no need to file a ticket. The team is already working on a resolution, and whether there is or is not a ticket on file will not affect the future distribution.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#207 -

so when they figure this out and fix the distribution problem…… all that means is the people who got chest in mail will get another chest in mail and most of the same people who didnt will be out of luck again. fun fun

Oh goodness! That is not what will happen at all.

Let’s see what happens, knowing that individual who continue to have issues can, of course, submit a support ticket to discuss their individual situation. I think those numbers will be very low, btw.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#209 -

In response to recent suggestions:

• No, if someone gets a second chest it’s a mistake and not an indication that somehow they are “more valued.” We’re not going to get into a teeter-totter of “give this, give that” to try to even it out beyond what someone earned.
  • No, we’re not going to give a chest to every Guild Wars 2 player.

Kindly realize that negative, unhelpful, demanding, and whine-filled posts are not welcome, are not of value, and have been and will be deleted, not because we’re trying to pretend there isn’t a issue, but because we’re working to correct the issue. Off-topic posts with ill-thought demands just do not help!

We made an error. A lot of upset people have managed to control themselves, to post helpfully, and to wait with much-appreciated patience for us to correct our error. Thank you to those (many) of you who have shown your good will. We will do our best to get this corrected ASAP. And please remember, if there are individual issues after we’ve made a more broad-based remedy — and we’ll let you know about that — we’ll help you individually through a support ticket. (If you submitted a ticket and get your chest, kindly go into the ticket and close it out so agents can focus on continuing issues.)

Thanks for understanding.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#210 -

Let’s see what happens, knowing that individual who continue to have issues can, of course, submit a support ticket to discuss their individual situation. I think those numbers will be very low, btw.

I’ll go submit a support ticket. Thank you for your help (not being sarcastic)

Why? We have not made any changes to correct the issue, so please submit only after the fix is in place and only if your situation has not been resolved.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#216 -

Ok, at this point I’m shaking my head wondering if you recent posters are even reading what I’m writing. Perhaps the fact the ridiculous posts were removed doesn’t make it clear. Let me try again:

“Please just give everyone a chest, even if they haven’t logged in since August.”

No. That would be wrong.

“Please give me 3 chests because I read on the Internetz that someone got 3 and I will think you don’t love me if you don’t give me the same number.”

No. That also would be wrong.

Some people were accidentally sent a second chest. That does not impact you and that should not cause you distress. If you earned a chest and you get a chest, that’s good. Otherwise, what do you suggest: We give every 10 chests? But what about the guy who already had one? He has 11! Oh wait, we need to give everyone 1 more chest. But that gal over there had one from looting and one from mail, so now we need to give…

Do you see? It’s not doable! It’s not reasonable! It’s not a good expenditure of dev resources to look at 2 million accounts and try to “balance” this.

The answer is: If you earned a chest, you should be given one. And that is what the team is trying to do for you, even as I write. Please be patient and please, please be reasonable.

Lastly, we’ve looked into the “I didn’t attend the event” people, as we’ve been able, and maybe they forgot the attended, maybe they don’t know the parameters, but we haven’t found the proverbial “My computer wasn’t turned on the entire event, my account was not accessed, and I still got a chest.” At this point, again, this does not impact you and your account and if, somewhere and for reasons we cannot ascertain, someone gets a chest without attendance at the event, then, well, I suggest you just let it go.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#219 -

I’m not sure why the suggestion that has already been brought up, which says to patch things up by simply giving a chest to everyone who has not received one in the mail yet, is getting shut down. From an unbiased viewpoint, I see that as the only fair solution.

I appreciate that you’re trying to help, and thanks for the ideas. I can tell you why it won’t work, and you can see that in this very thread:

• But they got one and I attended. Give me two.
  • But you accidentally gave my friend a chest and he already looted, where I was disconnected and couldn’t loot. Give me another.
  • I wasn’t able to join because I was cleaning my mother’s basement.

Ok, I’m joking about the third one. But honestly, we’re seeing all sorts of ideas, and believe me, every one of them has been considered and the only fair system has been developed and will continue to be refined until it addresses the issue for everyone as fairly as possible.

Will it be even-Steven? I guess not, with the errors made. Will it be ok? Yes, I think it will, if people will realize that there is no easy and complete solution that addresses every single possible aspect of this, and that, in the end, those who earned the chest will get one.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#224 -

Hi gail I did not attend the Event (at the time it happened) but did receive a mail.

I attended the First days event and the second day the event chains were broken all day for me, the third day i attended the event many hours after it had been completed (because of my timezone is AUS) i missed the actual third event as i was working..although i did login to the event that day.

Sadly i hope i get to keep my mail contents even though i missed the Actual event?

I think you will get a chest. I cannot say for certain, though, so please wait for the remedy.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#225 -

Gaile, I’m sorry, I realise you must be very tired and frustrated at this stage, but I think that last response was unfair.

““Please just give everyone a chest, even if they haven’t logged in since August.”
No. That would be wrong.”

Many posters at this stage have expressed in detail exactly why they think this would not be wrong. It is hardly a ridiculous request, and it at least deserves an explanation, or at least some kind of apology to fans in difficult timezones.

Yes, it would be wrong to give everyone a chest, because some people attended the event, participated, did their level best to kill the boss, etc. We’re being more than lenient, but giving a chest to everyone — even if they never logged in the whole weekend — would be seen as a way to diminish the time that those who participated put into the event. We’re being generous in giving chests, but giving to non-participants would be seen as unfair by a large number of our players.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#233 -

Actually clarifying what these parameters are would probably put alot of the community at rest and i can’t see a negative to simply telling us

That is not my decision to make. I will ask the team members involved in the distribution if they’re comfortable providing this level of information. Please understand that it’s later in the day here at the studio and even if they do give me the details and their ok to post, I may not be able to do that for a while.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#236 -

At this point, again, this does not impact you and your account and if, somewhere and for reasons we cannot ascertain, someone gets a chest without attendance at the event, then, well, I suggest you just let it go.

Sorry Gaile, this is beginning to seem like a dog pile but the quoted bit manages to be awful and insulting at the same time.

As people have asked, what are the parameters to determine who “earned” their chest? What of the login server not letting people log in to the event?

That’s a fair question, but if someone didn’t log in (and I’m assuming you mean for the full 72 hours?) how would we know? I honestly cannot say if there is an “attempted log-in” record, and at what point does that “earn” a chest? As I said, I’m not in a position to make these decisions, but I’m also unsure how other players would feel — “He never logged in and he got a chest? I attended all weekend and I get the same? This is unfair.” (And I don’t know that I disagree, but I see your point, too!)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#242 -

Gaile,

I’ve known you for years (GW1 Ascalon gatherings, good days) and I am honestly so disappointed at your approach on this. Despite your commendable effort in soothing the community, this has to go on a “how not to do customer care” manual somewhere.

You are basically saying that so many people will wrongfully get an extra chest while others (and I don’t mean the ones with disconnecting issues, who have to yell to get what it’s due) will finish the event empty handed.

Every other MMO company has seen itself in this situation and has done the right thing. Please, please, please stop alienating your fan base and do the right thing too.

Thanks,
A player who has been hooked to GW since 2004 beta weekends.

I do see your point but, really, what do you suggest? That everyone who got one chest get a second? Interesting idea, but did you read my post above? Honestly, how does that work? What about the guy who looted three bosses and got a chest. Do we send everyone three more to balance him? The person who couldn’t join — and I’m very sympathetic with that! — does he get one for trying? Two because someone else got two? Or… more?

Player “Fred” joined the event, put in many hours, finished the event, and looted the boss. He got a chest. He did not get a second chest, but he got what he earned, so that seems ok.

Player “Mary” did all the same, but somehow, through an error, she was mailed a second chest. What’s the best remedy? Given everyone else a second chest? But for some, that would be their first chest, so they’d need two, I guess, and for some, that would be three more than they already got, and…

Well, the head just spins.

I think you guys are reading more heat into my words than I intend. I hope you’ll understand I’m trying very hard to explain how difficult it would be to balance this even while understanding that you would like everything to be corrected. But with connection issues, some looting, some not looting, and then the (admitted) errors in distribution, I’m just not at all sure what is truly fair for all players because there are so many different players involved: participants, out of timezone, non-participants, multiple recipients…

Please bear with us, and do understand we are doing our level best to come to the best resolution, even if that may not be the resolution that you, personally, would desire. In the greater picture, I believe the resolution that the devs will choose will be the most fair resolution possible.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#245 -

But those who participated in the event get two (at least).

No, not everyone who participated was mailed a chest. It wasn’t that simple. The chests were mailed — with some admitted errors — to those who participated and who we believe had not received a chest.

Yep, errors were made. But nope, not everyone who was there got a second chest.

We are not saying that people that got Chest + One in mail another one just balance it. Surely your script must have log and just go trough and see who got it… send the rest one.
But yeah I don’t even care for it anymore, just these last two days were wierd, and I guess some people got rich by mistake

That’s what we tried to do, yes. Unfortunately, it seems it wasn’t possible to accurately ascertain who got a chest and who did not so some got another one.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#248 -

I also hope gaile that you do see it from a players perspective having people that got the chest that didnt attend any of the events but were simply online seems very unfair for players that tried to participate in the event and got dc’d or couldnt even log in.

Oh gosh yes, I do see that very clearly! I only wish there was a way to make everyone happy!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#253 -

Hey guys,

Here’s an update: We have verified the source of the issue — or at least the source in the vast majority of cases — and the good news is that we will be making a distribution (most likely later this evening ) that should address this issue for a lot of people, if not all.

I think that people who get the mail will post here, so you guys will know when it has happened, but if I am able to do so I will post later as well.

After this distribution, if you still have an issue and have not received the chest that you earned, you may submit a support ticket. I’d like to ask that you not submit tickets asking for a second chest because someone else got one. If you got the chest that you earned, that’s good and we’re sorry for the confusion, the delays in distribution, and for the errors. We’re sincerely sorry, and our team members are doing their level best to make this right for as many players as possible!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#279 -

I read it again and I understand what you meant now. However, yes I do still have doubts. A 20% drop rate for precursors would be insane, I’m pretty sure it would just break the game. Even the unique skins at Halloween had a much much lower drop rate than that an they weren’t worth nearly as much. I suppose I don’t have any logical evidence to dispute this other than the fact that it just makes no sense for it to be that high.

samrogan,

Some of the guys playing with me got 2 percursors from the event chest…

Wow, then they had really good luck. Those are very rare drops, so I’m pretty impressed. Maybe they should pick up a lotto ticket, huh?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#280 -

CHEST

Community
Harassing
Every
Support
Team

Ok, I lol’d. I really do understand why people are “hot under the collar” about the issue, and the team really is doing all it can to make this right. In the grand scheme of things, I guess some would say this is just a tiny thing. But right now, and fully understandably, it looms large, and we’ll do our best to get it addressed as fully and correctly as possible.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#281 -

From my limited perspective, it very much seems that ArenaNet’s first priority was to ensure the “naughty” did not get rewarded (naughty meaning those who didn’t attempt to participate in their very flawed event). If true that is indeed unfortunate. Their priority should have been to ensure the deserving were rewarded and if that meant a few naughty got undeserved rewards then so be it.

From anecdotal evidence it would appear that their first priority was not entirely successful as there are quite a few people saying they didn’t even log in but they got a chest. And from there it really went sideways as it also seems very many who had already received a chest (or more than one) were sent yet another.

For the life of me, I can’t see how this ever gets straight because their priority was never where it should have been (and doesn’t appear to be there still).

And with all due respect, I think you are exactly 180 from the truth of the matter. The event offered a reward. With issues that folks had, the team is trying to give the reward to everyone who participated, even — as you’ve seen — not fully or not to the end of the event. I’d say that the team is doing more to reach out to more players, not trying to put up some sort of silly barrier.

We can agree to disagree, but your thinking just isn’t at all accurate. That will be even more clear when you seen the sheer volume of people who get the reward with the distributions made.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#282 -

The concept of “one time events” is controversial, and the development team is taking all your comments and input into consideration. Nothing is written in stone. What we do one time does not necessarily drive what we do the next time.

For example, you’ll find that the disclosures for Wintersday are much more informative and detailed than they were for Halloween. Why? Because you players told us that you wanted to know a bit more. Keep the interest, but don’t make it too hard to know what’s coming, in short. And the devs listened.

I don’t know how future events will go — that’s not my area of the game or the company. But I did want you to know that all your feedback — good, bad, and indifferent — is respected by the development team and many things that come along are a direct result of courteously expressed and well-thought player input.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#297 -

We are currently running a script to distribute the chest to additional qualifying players. It will take a while — some hours, I think — so please allow time for it to complete and for those cute, furry little mail carriers to reach your individual mailboxes with your loot.

This means that one person may have gotten a chest an hour ago, but yours may not arrive for some hours to come. Such is the nature of scripts. So hold on and, as THHGTTG says, if you don’t have the chest yet, “DON’T PANIC!”

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#359 -

The script has completed running and we everyone whom we believe qualified for the chest has received one. Thank you again for your patience during this distribution.

I honestly do not know the requirements to receive a chest. I may be able to find that out on Monday, but in truth, I think the best I can tell you is that the script was designed to be generous in consideration of a player’s involvement in the event. I am pretty sure, from what I’m reading now, that you not need to kill the boss to get a chest. I believe that you did not need to be in the final event (but that’s sort of speculation on my part, based on player comments and I could be wrong). Again, and as you can see from people who got a chest, the distribution was on the generous side of things.

Having said that, we are aware that a few qualified players still may not get their chests, due to the way the script is constructed.

The number of players who qualify for a chest but did not receive one at this point should be very small. If you participated in the Lost Shores event and never received a chest – either during the event or though this week’s distributions — please follow these steps:

• Empty your mailbox (to make room for the in-game mail)
  • Wait a couple of hours to allow things to shift around within the mail system. (It may not be necessary to wait if the box is empty, but I’m making the suggestion because I’ve seen it work for others.)
  • If you do not have a transmittal email after, say, Noon Pacific (3:00 PM EST; 8:00 GMT; 9:00 PM CET) today, please submit a ticket to Support with the subject line “Missing Karka Chest.” Don’t worry, you don’t need to send that ticket immediately, just when it’s convenient. (I put the time to allow the dust to settle and to see if a few more chests shift into people’s mailboxes.)

These tickets will be sent to a special queue for a review. Please allow a few days for this review. From what I’ve observed on the forums, there are a few “edge cases” that will require a pretty significant amount of research, so your patience would be appreciated.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#360 -

I put in a support ticket last night at 23h (CET – France), and received the chest when I logged in this morning at around 10h. I suggest that anyone who hasn’t received the compensation yet and actually attended the event send in support tickets, it seems to speed up the process somewhat.

That’s interesting… my ticket has been in considerably longer (since shortly before the first script was announced) and I still haven’t received one.

Lucky you :p

I’ll keep waiting, I suppose.

Yes, please do keep waiting. The tickets for this situation were put into a special queue to await the distribution, because it is likely that many of those who wrote will have received a chest with the last two major distributions. If you will read up one post, you’ll see my comments about submitting a ticket and an explanation that each will be answered, but may take a few days.

Thanks for your continued patience.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#366 -

That’s interesting… my ticket has been in considerably longer (since shortly before the first script was announced) and I still haven’t received one.

Lucky you :p

I’ll keep waiting, I suppose.

Submitted a ticket some hours ago about not receiving chest, attended the event but had plethora of issues to deal with, majorly d/cing and being put on different overflows, thus not being able to get at the chest after fighting the karka twice.

Hope to get an answer soon. Still nothing.

As I mentioned just above, “These tickets will be sent to a special queue for a review. Please allow a few days for this review. From what I’ve observed on the forums, there are a few “edge cases” that will require a pretty significant amount of research, so your patience would be appreciated.”

Thanks for understanding.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#367 -

Still no chest its nearly 2 PM. I hear from others they never got further in the event than setting foot in south sun for the first time as I did and they got a kittening chest? Where is mine?

Please read my post above for instructions. Posting here really will not get you closer to the resolution — following the instructions above will.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#389 -

Guys, you should be aware that we are accepting tickets, and not every chest has been distributed. I see some down-heartedness here, and while some of you simply may not qualify, some will.

So feel free to submit a ticket and outline your situations, and then please give the team time — a few days, if you please — to review your situation and get a decision back to you.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#404 -

Just poking into the thread to remind you that it will be a few days until you get a response, but we will carefully review each ticket (one ticket per player, please ) and an agent will get back to you this week. (When I say “this week” I don’t necessarily mean “by the end of the week” but I do want to give the team members time to address the tickets and would not want someone expect an immediate reply on Monday morning.)

Thanks, once again, for your continued patience.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#419 -

Thanks for the reply Gaile, was just wondering if anyone was looking into the tickets we sent, guess I just gotta wait and see

Yep, each and every ticket will be reviewed and answered, you bet!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#430 -

Anet wrongly terminated my account for 6 days and I did not get to play the event; I did not do anything wrong and after review I receive my account back . No chest for me – this is what the e-mail for Anet said:
“Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Guild Wars Support Team. We’re very sorry for any inconvenience caused by being unable to log into the game during the Lost Shores event. Unfortunately, we will be unable to offer you compensation for the time missed and unable to distribute the chest rewards to you. This was only something offered for players who experienced the disconnection issue while in the process of doing the event. As your account was not a part of the event, we will not be distributing the Lost Shores rewards to you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please be sure to let us know!

Regards,

(deleted name) – Guild Wars Support Team

I truly believe I should receive a chest since I would have been playing all 3 days had Anet not made the error calling me a bot or what ever.

What say you Gail?

Should I file another ticket?

I’d like to review the ticket. Can you provide the 12-digit Incident or Ticket number? Thank you.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#431 -

Guys quick question about posting a ticket.
I’ve been sending an in-game ‘report a bug’ ticket named ‘Missing Karka Chest’. Will that do the thing or I should have used the other support link to get my account reviewed? The ticket has been sent on sunday night so I hope it was the right way to report my problem.

This is not a bug, and using the in-game system will not function properly. You can contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please read this post.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#437 -

Where would I look for a response to my ticket, in game mail, email or my support account?

Email and/or your support account. The support account is the best source — it’s a little more complete than email.