• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagThe censor system - No kittens please.Source
Oxstar.7643
Target Source
#1 -

I’m one of those people who are godly sick of cathuggers on the internet – So instead of replacing swears with the word “kitten” can’t you just star or heart it out like a lot of forums, SPUF among others, do? Most of us can figure out what a word was when it was written just by reading the context and the amount of filtered letters, and if we can do that anyways then there is no reason to try and protect us from bad words because we already know them. And use them. A lot.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#13 -

Most of us can figure out what a word was when it was written just by reading the context and the amount of filtered letters, and if we can do that anyways then there is no reason to try and protect us from bad words because we already know them. And use them. A lot.

Yes, it’s true that filtered words still may be obvious in context. If the use of a kittened word is identified as an insult or as off-topic, it will be moderated anyway.
But most importantly, the filtered words shouldn’t be shown on this forum.
Basically, users may feel even more insulted when they see which kind of insult has been used – “kitten” is much less aggressive, isn’t it?
Another thing is, imagine you’re constantly confronted with inappropriate language all over the forums – or you’re a new user who will be disturbed by the forums because of the use of such words.

This topic has been discussed several times now, but always ends up under lots of other threads…

Greetings

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#25 -

Do you have a son or daughter? I promise you that in school they have already learned more swears, curses, and obscenities than you can think of off the top of your head.

That may be true – but they didn’t learn it from the Guild Wars 2 forums, that’s one of the points here.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#35 -

I’ve seen this thread pop up a few times. Allow me to set this to rest. We have no plans to change or disable the swear filter. The only changes that are made are fixes to false positives and other bugs, which is ongoing. As this thread does not contribute to Guild Wars 2 discussion, it will now be locked.