Our trial of a new, interim culling methodology ran from 12/7 – 12/14 and has now ended. The primary change that we were testing was giving allies and enemies distinct culling pools such that allies couldn’t impact enemy culling and enemies couldn’t impact ally culling. We have now reinstated the prior system which uses a single culling pool for all characters.
If you have feedback regarding the trial, or if you have feedback regarding our switch back to the old method, please leave that feedback in this thread. Also, if you’re reporting issues regarding invisible players please include a screenshot of your experience (including mini-map) and your basic system specs (memory, cpu, video card) so that we can more clearly understand the issues you are reporting. We will use this feedback, along with the feedback from the original culling trial thread, to determine if we will switch to the new system until our more comprehensive solution is ready.
I’d also like to reiterate that the system that we were testing is a proposed temporary, interim solution. Work is continuing on a more comprehensive solution to the culling issues and this interim solution has not taken resources away from that effort.
Thank you again for your feedback regarding culling!
Just to clarify, because there seems to be some confusion about the recent changes: When we enabled the trial culling system that was done by changing a configuration. No new code was added to the culling system. When we disabled the trial culling system we changed the configuration back. Again, no new coded was added to the culling system. So the system in place now is exactly the system that was in place prior to the trial.