• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagConfusion about In-Game RMT MailSource
Sacrypheyes.6043
Target Source
#1 -

just noticed my alt received a message… from my own account, which of course i didn’t send.
checked my connections history and it doesn’t seem anyone logged in using my account as otherwise, i’d have received an email alert as it usually happens on ip change.

still trying to get how did they manage to do that…

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#6 -

Whenever you see those *#&^ irritating gold-selling emails, please hit the exclamation mark to report them to us, so we can take out the sender.

Thanks!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#18 -

Whenever you see those *#&^ irritating gold-selling emails, please hit the exclamation mark to report them to us, so we can take out the sender.
Thanks!

Gaile—would you please comment about the mods instruction to do a system scan and change passwords when you recieve an “ingame e-mail”?
I can’t really see how my system would be compromised by such an act.

I have no idea why that would have been recommended. I will clarify with the mod. In-game mails do not point to compromised systems, in my opinion.

Bottom line the I believe the mod mispoke or didn`t understand the original message.
Just because you get an in game email doesn`t mean your account is comprimised.

Exactly!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#19 -

Gaile, If I might make a suggestion. The vast majority of the people who buy “game credits/gold” have no idea what they are doing. They do it for instant gratification and because they “want to”. Little do they realize they are funding a multi-billion dollar industry. Much of it laden with slavery (literally, not just a statement), child labor or worse. It destroys the economy of the very game they are trying to play. Funny thing is I have yet to see a single game make a front page post on their website (that is permenant) explaining in detail just what is involved in the RMT (gold selling) business. Maybe then these people would understand how RMT destroys not only games but peoples lives. Literally. I realize it still wouldn’t stop some people but it might stop some. You are always going to have some people with no morals, it’s just the way of the world. But it might help inform some of how it works. Some of the biggest RMT companies in China are owned my Norinco, who is China’s biggest military owned company. Many countries including Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand and even Mexico have gotten into the RMT business in the last few years. Many do not realize most of the RMT sellers are not just some college kid trying to make money, they are full blown criminal organizations that are making hundreds of millions per company a year. Every person who contributes, who buy “game gold” are indeed funding these criminals. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Without buyers these companies would not exist. Even you do not do a front page post, at least do a “sticky” here for the people who come to the forums to read. Some will learn and listen. Some will not. Well that’s my 2 cents.

We posted an article some years ago, in relation to RMT and Guild Wars. Here is a link. I think it covers a lot of the issues you were concerned about, although I guess it’s not really too visible these days. Perhaps it’s time to post a new one — I will inquire if there are plans to do that.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#20 -

I think you misread some info in that mail, unless Des Oto (sender of that mail) is your character. Recent spammers use your account/display name as mail subject and that is why it may be misleading.

THIS is important for you all to know. If you did not read the full thread, this is NOT an issue. Anyone can harvest your name and use it in an in-game mail; it does not point to a compromise.