• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagAccount Terminated in ErrorSource
Kindayar.1209
Target Source
#1 -

Greetings,

I will try to keep this as short as possible. On 12/18/12 at about 1700 hours EST, I was playing in Honor of the Waves with a guildmate when without warning my screen went white, I was logged out, and on trying to log back into the game, was told my account was permanently banned for botting, 3rd party programming, extended unattended play (?), macros or something similar to these accusations. My account has since been restored, and for that, I am truly appreciative.

I have a concern and a question. My concern is that for some reason, my account was fraudulently terminated for behavior which I have never and will never engage in. I was not given a warning, contacted by a GM in game (this SHOULD be done in cases where it’s suspected an account is being automated) or anything similar to let me know something was wrong. As far as I can tell, my account was not hacked. Nothing was missing on return, no characters deleted, and I logged in where I was kicked out. Since the reopened account, I have changed passwords for the game, my email account, and added the mobile authenticator as instructed. This leads to my question. What was it that caused my account to be not only suspected of botting, but ultimately banned because of it? I don’t know if it was a behavior of mine, an account login issue, nothing. I would like to keep this from happening again, and would love to hear from someone regarding the matter. If I need to resubmit a question (which I know would be low priority), I am happy to do so, as long as I can get an answer to the question.

Sincerely,

Kindayar <><

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

Greetings,

I will try to keep this as short as possible. On 12/18/12 at about 1700 hours EST, I was playing in Honor of the Waves with a guildmate when without warning my screen went white, I was logged out, and on trying to log back into the game, was told my account was permanently banned for botting, 3rd party programming, extended unattended play (?), macros or something similar to these accusations. My account has since been restored, and for that, I am truly appreciative.

I have a concern and a question. My concern is that for some reason, my account was fraudulently terminated for behavior which I have never and will never engage in. I was not given a warning, contacted by a GM in game (this SHOULD be done in cases where it’s suspected an account is being automated) or anything similar to let me know something was wrong. As far as I can tell, my account was not hacked. Nothing was missing on return, no characters deleted, and I logged in where I was kicked out. Since the reopened account, I have changed passwords for the game, my email account, and added the mobile authenticator as instructed. This leads to my question. What was it that caused my account to be not only suspected of botting, but ultimately banned because of it? I don’t know if it was a behavior of mine, an account login issue, nothing. I would like to keep this from happening again, and would love to hear from someone regarding the matter. If I need to resubmit a question (which I know would be low priority), I am happy to do so, as long as I can get an answer to the question.

Sincerely,

Kindayar <><

We are not able to tell you what flagged the account. That would be a very bad thing to do, as it would give all the would-be cheaters, exploiters, and RMT workers a “blueprint to cheat.” If we say “We thought you were doing X, Y, and Z,” then those writing bot code, or hiring essentially slave labor to farm the game will simply stop doing those things.

Given that there are more than 2 million accounts, the number of false positives — that is, erroneously flagged for botting or another form of cheating — is very, very low. Yes, you see them in the forums, but they are individual issues that may give a perception of a larger issue than what really exists.

My basic advice is to continue to play the game legitimately and, if your account is flagged again (which is highly unlikely), to work with the Support Team to diagnose the issue at that time.