• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagComplaints about Suspensions [merged]Source
ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#1 -

Players have posted saying they don’t understand why they were suspended for and offensive name or for unacceptable in-game chat. Nearly always, the name or the chat is truly offensive and that is why the account is given a time-out.

Our Support Team does not enjoy blocking people, and does so only when there is a cause.

If you feel the need to complain, please confirm that to this thread. Also, please do not post your offensive name or your crude/unacceptable/racist language in the thread, because that’s just compounding the issue. If you wish to appeal the suspension, file a support ticket. If you want to vent about the suspension, post here (following my requests above, please.)

Thanks for understanding.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#9 -

I just got banned today for saying that hating Germans would be nationalism and not racism. I wasn’t the one who said he hated Germans (I am German in fact), nor did I insult anyone else. Somebody, appearantly took my statement the wrong way, or I don’t know what and I got banned for racism (almost ironically)
It really seems to me like noone looks into these reports.

If you’re concerned about this — and I understand your point about the confusion — please submit a ticket and explain. The agent can check chat records to see what was said, and by whom.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#10 -

Heh. I got banned too, and I’ve never once had a disagreement with anyone. Pretty sure I got banned for saying EDIT TO REMOVE OFFENSIVE COMMENT

I guess someone was offended by it, or more likely, someone was having a bad day and just wanted to report people for whatever.

Sucks to be banned for Christmas Eve + Christmas + Day after christmas. Kinda wish I didn’t buy $20 in gems just the other day.

Edit: Not to mention that this would be my first and only ban in the past 12 years of playing MMOs. (Including; Ultima Online, Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, AION, Luna Online, TERA Online, League of Legends… and quite a few I can’t remember…)

Oh well.. Merry Christmas, we’re banned… -_-;

Yes, that is offensive. I don’t know too many games that wouldn’t object to the comment. Sorry if you feel differently, but please use better judgment in the future.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#11 -

I was banned today as well for saying EDIT TO REMOVE OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Yead, did you really think it was ok to say what you said? Please don’t post it again.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#12 -

Folks — let’s not use this or any other thread to post “I said [this thing] and was suspended for offensive language.” The chances are, if you were suspended, then what you said was offensive. In which case, we don’t want it posted here, right?

If you have legitimate concerns — I mean truly don’t understand why you were suspended — then by all means submit a ticket and discuss with the Support Team. But we’re not going to use the forums as a “Was this really across the line” review point, because most of the time — as in the examples in this thread — there really isn’t a question about the offensive, the comments are merely intended to complaint about standards being upheld.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#14 -

My offensive line would have been censored for anyone that kept their swear filter on. Why give us the option to turn it on or off if we will simply be banned for using any sort of “dirty” word? I rather not delve into the realms of what people find offensive, because in my -12 years of online gaming- I’ve seen people report other people for the most petty of reasons. I’ve kept a pretty clean slate when it comes to gaming, and, in these 12 years, this is the first time I’ve ever been banned.

Secondly, Gaile, I recommend you contact whichever legal department you have that handles your Rules of Conduct, and possibly nudge them towards including a few extra lines in it that say something along the lines of “You are not allowed to refer to any part of your body around your hips or chest in any sort of manner that is even remotely suggestive.”

What I said was something that was ultra rare for me to ever type — usually it’s on voice with several friends and we all joke about things like that. It’s not everyones cup of tea. I get that. I sent in a support ticket yesterday attempting to get the ban lifted, acknowledging it’s something I shouldn’t have said in the open and that I had no idea you guys were so strict and gave zero warnings before proceeding with a ban.

Enjoy the $40 I wasted on gems since the 19th. I hope it goes well towards your paychecks. Merry Christmas. I’ll still be banned a day after Christmas. Thanks.

The Name and Word Filter is not a “license to swear” or “permission to offend.” Saying “Just turn on your filter” isn’t that answer, any more than telling parents “Just cover your children’s ears” give you the excuse to swear up a storm in a restaurant. With any private service — restaurant, movie theatre, game server — the owners reserve the right to expect a certain level of behavior. The filter is offered as a means to try to limit offenses, but not as a feature that then presents others with the opportunity for “no holds barred” in the use offensive language.

Lastly, you didn’t refer to a body part in a benign manner. (And we do mention “body parts” in the rules, anyway.) But let’s face it: you used a word that many consider rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. So, no, you can’t say “Use the filter” and you can’t say “Your rules need a legal review.” I suggest you stop while you’re ahead.

I’m sorry that you’re not able to play on Christmas. But I make no apologies for the suspension, because honestly, it was the right thing to do.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#16 -

I’d like to apologize for making 3 threads on the forum over the last 4 days about my account’s suspension, it has been resolved by GM Kaine a few hours ago, i was using my little brother’s account.

Sorry Gaile for any inconvenience i have caused!

S’ok, Jsvkkie. Thanks for your kind apologies, and I was very glad when I heard back from email that the team had sorted this out for you. Happy to help!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#18 -

So, no, you can’t say “Use the filter” and you can’t say “Your rules need a legal review.” I suggest you stop while you’re ahead.

Or you’ll what? Is that against the rules too? The implication in that last sentence is rather chilling.

I understand you’ve got a job to do, but try to keep your own conduct professional when talking to your customers. Try not to take things so personally, especially when they’re conveyed in a polite manner, all things considered.

Good heavens! I’m here, on my own time, on Christmas Day, trying to help players. My comment was meant not as a threat, but as a genuine suggestion, like “wear a coat in the rain” or “try this cheese, it’s delicious.” I’m sorry you chose to take it differently.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#20 -

I can’t log in to see which name got me suspended. I assume “Ned Reck” is the name in question, which I find odd considering Jeff Foxworthy made millions off of the term and there are prime time TV shows which use the term. (ex: Redneck Weddings, … etc.) I had been logging on and playing this toon for over a month with no problems, but get suspended for the 3 days I’m off of work.

Also, being from New Orleans, I am by definition a redneck. Jeesh, what if your name was actually Richard Head, you’d get suspended for using your real-life name?

Are you sure that’s the name that got blocked? I talked to a few friends a couple of years ago, and while Mr. Foxworthy (who is funny a heck!) has made a living with “red neck” jokes, other folks from the south tell me it’s a little off, a bit rude and insulting. I thought it was perfectly harmless, but eh, I learned something in the conversation. Still, looking at Ned Reck, I’m just sort of surprised that would be flagged. Can you verify that was truly the name?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#23 -

Rand — I understand. The “warning” comes through the Rules of Conduct and the User Agreement, but I’ll certainly grant you that no everyone reads those.

I will say that the chat was reported, and although I haven’t pulled the data, I suspect it was reported more than once. Thanks for acknowledging the chat was not so good. I’ll share your suggestions with the team.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#26 -

Gaile: Yeah. Sorry about that. I’m guessing it was hiding somewhere in the User Agreement, then.

Anyhow, sorry to bug you so much on Christmas. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Merry Christmas, to you and the rest of the team.

That’s really nice of you. Merry Christmas to you and yours!