• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagCamera rotation/mouse turn lag in this game?Source
gwawer.9805
Target Source
#1 -

So there is still a slight camera lag in this game. When you try to rotate your character using your mouse, even if you have the mouse settings to the highest and camera rotation speed to the highest, there is still in the initial inertia. Why is this still in the game?

I know in September they reduced the camera rotation inertia because as many player complaints, but why is there any still left? Even this little bit of camera inertia hinders player reaction especially if you’re playing a melee character who is trying to constantly face an opponent who is trying to circle strafe you or who is dodging around.

If you look at all the first-person shooters, and my God even World of Warcraft, there is absolutely zero mouse turning lag (inertia), because that hinders player response time. So why does Guild wars two still have this in the game?

This issue becomes more apparents if you’re playing on a bigger sized monitor.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#3 -

While there is still some inertia left, zero inertia doesn’t sit well with a lot of people and can even make them sick. Most issues involving core functionality like the camera or keybinds always have two sides (sometimes more). We try to please as wide of a player base as possible, but if we come to the ultimate conclusion that we have to give an option for it, we will.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#5 -

… if we come to the ultimate conclusion that we have to give an option for it, we will.

Why does it sound like you would rather not give the players options to customize the games interface/appearance to their liking?

We try not to jump the gun and add an option to customize everything we can think of. This is generally how things goes down:
We start getting player feedback that some aspect of the game can be improved (let’s take the camera for example).
Get enough feedback that we determine a significant amount of the player base is affected negatively.
Evaluate options and assess development time required for a change. This can include refactoring code to make it configurable, creating the UI, and getting option text localized.
In the case of camera inertia:
Option 1 is to pick and test some new values. Satisfies 98% of the player base, with zero dev-time, goes out as soon as we’re comfortable with the values.
Option 2 is to make a slider/drop down, pick acceptable ranges (not trivial), localize text, and update the UI. Requires new tech, and waiting for text to get localized. This satisfies 100% of the player base at the cost of time and slowly complicating the game.
We picked option 1.
Its a fine balance between the two that really depends on cost/payoff.
This isn’t to say we’ll never go back and do option two, but it’s now a pretty low priority.

I hope this helps! I can try to clarify more if needed.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#15 -

Sprawl, many threads created lately have already been talked about many other times. It sucks that when ANET don’t reply to these repeated threads, everyone complains that ANET doesn’t communicate with the community.

This may be true. I only have enough time to stay attached to one forum, so this is the obvious choice since I’m on the sPvP team. This means two things: First, I see the repeat threads and don’t have time to post in them; hoping that the community will reference the older posts. Second, I will jump on opportunities to spread my knowledge that I wouldn’t be able to otherwise, like in this thread.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#17 -

I agree that issues like this can affect the minority greatly. Another good example is the length of the skill queue. There is a small group of people this can affect greatly, which is also the top-tier sPvP players. This is also something I’ve looked into, but both cases come down to: Do you want core sPvP features or a camera inertia slider?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#20 -

Sprawl, many threads created lately have already been talked about many other times. It sucks that when ANET don’t reply to these repeated threads, everyone complains that ANET doesn’t communicate with the community.

This may be true. I only have enough time to stay attached to one forum, so this is the obvious choice since I’m on the sPvP team. This means two things: First, I see the repeat threads and don’t have time to post in them; hoping that the community will reference the older posts. Second, I will jump on opportunities to spread my knowledge that I wouldn’t be able to otherwise, like in this thread.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Spvp-destiny-A-message-for-Jonathan-Sharp/first#post1132982

This is no repeat thread, and it’s an important thread and point. If you could make some time to read (and more or less aknowledge) the concerns you’ll do something huge for the PVP community.

Things of this magnitude (touches many many design points of sPvP) are not something I like to answer as a programmer. I wouldn’t do the thread justice as I haven’t spent nearly as much time thinking about those issues as the designers. This thread is brand new, so please give time for people to come back from break who can answer it better than me.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#23 -

Whether is a slider, dropdown, toggle, they’re all about the same amount of additional dev time, but sometimes problems like this have a history. Why didn’t we do this before? Has anyone ever tried zero inertia? Maybe it actually doesn’t work well in GW2. While it’s entirely in my power to take some extra time some evening and implement the feature, it’s also possible that there were some darn good reasons for not doing it before that I don’t know about. That’s why it’s so important to go through the proper channels, get it signed off on, etc. So the process is also what takes up resources we would rather be spending on more important things.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#25 -

Well if you do have time one evening, could always give it a go and see if someone signs off on the finished product after seeing it in action xD

It goes on the list of about 50 other things I’d like to do XD.
Thanks for your understanding!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#34 -

That’s great and all but you see the message it sends when you respond to stuff about camera which you rarely, if ever, see posts about while ignoring bigger features. And you don’t need to respond to game-wide-issue posts but what about things like this:…

I know it seems like unfair treatment, but the truth is that not everyone has the luxury to be on the forums as much as others. Things like custom arenas and matchmaking really deserve blog posts.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#53 -

This still a problem? I haven’t heard any complaints since I increased the tension on 9/27/2012.