• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagFear of BanSource
Destin.2458
Target Source
#1 -

Ticket: 121227-003051 resolved thx Gaile Gray if you had anything to do with it
But now my problem is i can not play like i normally do without that fear of being ban out of no where for no apparent reason…
From what i gathered over the pass week or so, there is a chance of being banned for the following:
1) sending or receiving mail
2) typing in chat
3) withdrawing from guild bank
4) participating in WvW
5) killing or grinding monsters/events
6) Crafting/salvaging/buying from vendor
7) Logging in(game thinks you are being hacked)
temporary ban or a ban in error.. a ban is still a ban
It’s driving me nuts….

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#10 -

I think you folks are looking at forum threads and seeing a mountain where there is merely a molehill. There are more than 2 million Guild Wars 2 accounts. Yes, 2,000,000+ accounts! With player volumes that high, there will be cheaters, exploiters, scammers, and of course, the occasional and deeply regretted error on our part, the unwarranted suspension or closure of an account. I don’t know of any system that doesn’t have some degree of false positives, but we are working to reduce those as much as possible.

When someone submits a ticket or posts “I was erroneously banned” we take care of the matter. And please note that the fact that one player says he was suspended for saying “Good morning” in chat doesn’t mean that everyone else who said “Good morning” will also be suspended. Too, statistics prove that a lot of those who say “All I said was ‘good morning in chat’” may have either misunderstood the situation or may not be telling the truth. (See a certain Reddit post of two months ago for enlightenment: People crying, “I had a harmless name and was suspended” or “I never used offensive/racist chat” were “outted” with posts that included their actual name or chat strings. In the end, if I recall correctly, not a single protest was truthful!

The list in the first post that says “I am afraid to do these things” is baseless, for a few reasons:

1. You cannot extrapolate 1 post, or 10, or even 100 to assume that it is representative of a major issue. 100 posts represents 0.00005% of our player base.
  2. Clearly, players are doing all the things on the above list, by the tens of thousands, and their accounts are not getting suspended or terminated.
  3. Some players attempt to get reinstated for an absolutely justified suspension or termination. “I didn’t do it!” isn’t always the truth. Count on dozens of people screaming their innocence who were, in fact, quite and provably guilty.

The latter is not to say that we dismiss any appeal or that we never make a mistake. Everyone who submits a ticket is given a review (sometimes multiple reviews) and if we made an error, we reverse it. We review; we uphold or reinstate, as appropriate; and we try to improve so that we don’t make the same mistake again.

So when you see “I was suspended, and all I did was [this thing]” keep in mind that (1) the issue will be given a fair review and (2) you may not be seeing the facts of the case.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#11 -

This game bans people every 2 seconds, usually for a ridiculously miniscule reason. They expect everyone in the community to be filled with sunshine and love for guild wars but the bottom line is, the world doesn’t work this way and not everyone acts that way. They can go ahead and keep banning people, but guess what they are gonna be seeing a lot more people getting refunds, like myself, as we speak. I just got banned for defending my girlfriend from a troll. It literally took like 3 seconds for the ban to take affect. Meanwhile she is still in-game – being trolled. Good job arena net. Two customers gone, after she gets a refund too. Say goodbye to your player base. Won’t take long at this rate.

First, you were surely not “banned.” Bans are forever. At most, your account was suspended. But let’s talk about the important stuff: Did you report the harassment incident? When you were suspended, did you submit a ticket asking for a review?

Game moderation is a partnership, and we need to ask you to participate by letting us know the facts of the case and giving us the opportunity to correct any error that was made or any incomplete action that might have been taken.

In this case, if you reacted heatedly, and if you were reported, you may have been given a time out. If the team gets your explanation of the full details — details that are not readily apparent to them without communication from you — then this situation can be amended to be fair to all involved. But you need to give us that chance, and I cannot see that you did yet.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#14 -

I think you folks are looking at forum threads and seeing a mountain where there is merely a molehill.

The list in the first post that says “I am afraid to do these things” is baseless, for a few reasons:
You cannot extrapolate 1 post, or 10, or even 100 to assume that it is representative of a major issue. 100 posts represents 0.00005% of our player base.

So when you see “I was suspended, and all I did was [this thing]” keep in mind that (1) the issue will be given a fair review and (2) you may not be seeing the facts of the case.

Where is smoke, there is fire.

People crying, “I had a harmless name and was suspended” or “I never used offensive/racist chat” were “outted” with posts that included their actual name or chat strings. In the end, if I recall correctly, not a single protest was truthful!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Why-am-I-being-asked-to-change-my-name
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Goodbye-and-ty-to-the-the-1-who-stole-my-name <- player lost his original character name because it was taken in the process of recovering from being suspended and forcibly renamed.

Posting off-topic comments of meaningless value, and threads that have no relation to the topic at hand are not of value in this discussion.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#17 -

Posting off-topic comments of meaningless value, and threads that have no relation to the topic at hand are not of value in this discussion.

I disagree. Players were suspended without any investigation from ANet team just because some other player reported them for inappropriate name even if they have done nothing wrong and their character names were fully legit. And this is what this topic is about. So those linked threads are in direct relation to the topic on hand.

This is incorrect. People are suspended for an offensive name (not banned) after it has been reviewed by an agent, and usually by multiple agents. No one is suspended for a name without a review — there is no system to suspend for an offensive or unacceptable name without a review. In fact, anything that is reported is reviewed.

Please let’s not use forum posts as “proof” of an issue. I am telling you how the system works — the only way it works. If you choose to believe that someone can grief another player with a simple report, and that the reported player is immediately suspended, you will be wrong.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#27 -

I am posting this on my sons account as I guess when you are banned for one reason or another you are not even allowed to login and post. My account was just banned (terminated) with no explination other than it says I abused an ingame exploit. I got no email explaining what exploit I had abused, just a noticed my account was terminated when I tried to log in. I can not for the life of me think of any in game exploit I used justify the ban. How is someone suppose to defend themselves when no details are given about the ban.

The things that go through my mind.

Did I get banned for buying to many gems on the gemstore and trading them for gold?
Did I get banned for killing some mob that may have been bugged?
Did I get banned for crafting yellows and oranges and breaking them down for Globs of Ectos?
DId I get banned for ……………………………………. I have not a sigle clue other than my account is now been terminated and I can no longer log in.

Probably number 3.

They just did some mass bannings of people that were making snowflake jewlrey for one ecto and salvaging them to get 3 back.

Members of the forum cannot answer your questions, and we do not offer immediate “submit-and-post” services, because that’s just not an efficient way to operate. (Could have people working on the same issue, which isn’t a good use of resources. Only Support can answer the questions you’ve asked and help you with any solution. Please contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket, please read this post.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#28 -

Gaile,

I suspect that you are probably one of the most experienced players of the Guild Wars franchise, at ArenaNET (who else has their own custom minis? ), so I implicitly trust that you are working from the perspective of the players’ interests.

I know these are early days in what will hopefully be another 7 year adventure.

Over the whole time I played GW1, I never worried about being banned. I knew several people who probably SHOULD have been banned, but it didn’t seem like anyone was really paying attention. When I would make a report of someone being abusive in chat, I was always reminded that ArenaNET staff were really on the job. To me, this is how it should be. (ie: no police state, but response to community reports). I used to farm for Nick’s gifts every day in Pre.. sometimes for long periods of time. It just worked, and it worked well. Eventually, it was more time efficient for me to make my living with WTS/WTB, so I did that.. and made sometimes great deals and sometimes bad ones.. but it worked well.

Now, I’m in Guild Wars 2, and I’m afraid of my shadow. I’m afraid of getting DR’d for getting stuck on a batch of Cursed Shores foes who respawn faster than I can kill them all. I’m afraid of getting banned for moving inventory between my accounts (I have moved completed sets of minis without a peep of concern, which gives me the impression that eyes do indeed review these permabans before they are executed).

The number of real bans is small, and I suspect most are deserved, but from my perspective (can’t speak for everyone), the FEAR of losing an account I’ve already invested nearing 1000 hours on has burned a lot of the fun out of playing. Even the fear of in-game logic hurting my chances to be competitive in the drive for gold takes away from the fun.

Perspective is everything. Is there more factual information (ie: hard numbers) that ArenaNET can divulge, to comfort this fear in me (and the community, it seems) without giving away the secret sauce?

I’m willing and happy to put up with the teething pains, as this is the best game I’ve played in the 32 years I’ve worked with computers, but please don’t let the end result be a mouthful of screwed up teeth!

Thank you so much for being one of the ArenaNET team willing to take on the hard questions.

Allisa

I read your comments (thanks for the kind words, btw) and I read the other posts, and I want to say that I understand your concerns. I think I see this differently because of my perspective. I know the processes used, I know the data used in situations like the karma or snowflake exploit, and I also know that while a “termination” is usually permanent, we reverse terminations daily when we find they were made in error.

Now, before anyone thinks “Wow, they’re terminating so wildly they’re making errors” I think you can reduce your worry by knowing — key point here — there is an appeals process, and it extends, really, over several levels. I honestly think with support tickets, reviews, appeals, and then the forums, there are a lot of options for getting the final and conclusive review you guys deserve.

I don’t want you to be afraid to play the game, or feel concerned about the boogieman in the shadows. The numbers of false positives is small. And while, if it’s yours, that false positive can be a heart-stopper — “What? I’m accused of fraud? WTH?” — I do have confidence that we offer a lot of means of correcting those issues and that we will make that correction whenever we can.

In my heart of hearts I’d like to never have a false positive. But for things like botting, gold sales, and other RMTish activities, the cheaters/exploiters are trying their best to do the bad thing, and the systems we develop must be as close to the edge as possible. Overly lenient and we risk severe damage to the game economy. Overly strict, and we risk a high number of false positives. The work-around is to take the appropriate action and remove as many cheaters as possible while always taking care to seriously review each and every appeal.

I can’t guarantee that an innocent player’s account will never get actioned, but I feel sure that if that happens, we’ll do our darnedest to sort the wheat from the chaff and get that guiltless player back in the game as quickly as possible.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#57 -

In part response to Warlock, if they were long term GW1, and GW2 players, then they would know an exploit when they saw it. Unless of course their brain cell count is below average and simply thought that getting more from less was a cool trick.

Secondly, if ANet is not ip banning these botters/exploiters, then they are doing it wrong and should not be profiting from what is ultimately their own coding mistake as you, Warlock, have pointed out.

Finally, Warlock’s suggestion is something that should seriously be considered by the development/moderator team and whoever else needs to consider it at ANet. When an exploit is brought to the attention of ANet, a MoTD should pop up for every player that logs in to the game, every time they log in, alerting them of the exploit in detail so they know to stay away until it is fixed. Anyone who attempts the exploit after the MoTD is in place should be ip banned WITHOUT review.

An example MoTD template:

MoTD: EXPLOIT ALERT:: Here are the details of the exploit, do not attempt to reproduce this in any way as the result will be an instant ip ban without review. Some people just suck and intended on getting ahead of others through exploiting a broken system.

Of course I would laugh uncontrollably at the last part if it was put in but that was just me being me. Warlock’s idea is a good one, use it.

Are you seriously suggesting that we give a tutorial on how to exploit our game? I talked with several team members today, and they believe that doing that would be an incredibly bad idea, because more people will use the exploit, even with the warning. They’ll either (1) hope they won’t be detected, or (2) believe they think they’ll get a “pass” by saying they were “testing” the system, or (3) think we’ll only catch people above a certain number, so they can cheat in small numbers with impunity, or (4) hope that we decide that the number of players using the exploit is so high that we will not terminate the accounts.

It would be like the Treasury Department saying, “We’re going to change the way we make our $20 bills, but until then, by all means do not [instructions on how to counterfeit money].”

If we give details, the sheer volume of people using an exploit will rise, with all of our systems being stalled to deal with the bans, appeal reviews, etc.

I filed a complaint with the BBB after my second ban, and that went unresolved.

We don’t have any unresolved complaints with the BBB. Each filed against ArenaNet has been resolved in our favor, which is part of the reason that we have an A+ rating. If you want to give me your BBB complaint number, I’ll be happy to confirm that in our records.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#59 -

I am going to have the above rant removed. It contributes nothing. I’m also locking this thread, because I think it’s lived it’s reasonable lifespan.

But I need to tell you that the number of terminated accounts is absolutely factual. I know, I saw the names, I saw the numbers, and I saw the terminations take effect.

So, you say “60% of our EU players are banned.” And I call that inaccurate, groundless, and completely false. I might also call it ridiculous, but I don’t think anyone needs me to say it to know it is true.