• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagWilling to share WvW details?Source
DonRobeez.3560
Target Source
#1 -

Dear Arenanet,

I have been quite interested in the details of WvW but am not able to figure these out so far.
So I would like to ask if Arenanet is willing to share the details?
This information is really nice to have to increase strategic organisation.

A couple of question I have are:
- How does siege despawning work?
- Do we have a siege limit? If so, what happens if we cross it?
- How many players can one map contain?

And probably more that I can’t currently think of.

Thanks in advance!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#19 -

Sure, I’ll spill dome details!

I’ll try to work my way through the thread and answer what I can while I’m throwing food in my mouth during lunch before I have to scurry away to more meetings, sorry if I don’t have a chance to answer everything (because I likely wont be able to).

- How does siege despawning work?

Unbuilt siege sites that are placed by players will go away if someone does not bring supply to them within 10 minutes. Anyone that adds supply to a site should reset that timer.

Completed siege weapons will despawn if they haven’t been manned for 30 minutes.

Why do we have to do this? Each weapon takes up some small amount of resources on the server because we register a few pieces of data for each weapon in the field. One thing we absolutely cannot do is remove the timer entirely or else we have a situation where someone can put down a ton of weapons that could potentially be around forever (or until matches reset) and it would start to cause bad things to happen to the server. We also use some placement restrictions to help prevent there being too many siege weapons on the field, I’ll explain those more in the next question.

It’s admittedly not an ideal system but it is something we are required to do to keep the game running as smoothly as possible. We’d like to make it more obvious that the weapons have some sort of despawn timer since it is a completely hidden mechanic, but we don’t have a way to expose that timer to players yet.

- Do we have a siege limit? If so, what happens if we cross it?

There are two basic hard limits to siege placement.

There is a limit to how many siege weapons can be placed within a certain radius of each other. We tried to set it to be fairly lenient, right now you can set 5 weapons (sites or completed weapons) within any 1000 unit radius. If you try to place a new site somewhere within a radius that already has hit it’s limit, the placement will fail but you should still have the weapon bundle in your hands so you can try to place it somewhere else.

There is also a hard limit to how many weapons can be placed on the map. This map limit is a bit harder to explain as it is based on some internal concepts that don’t translate well to laymans terms, but basically anything that is not a ram counts towards one ‘limit’ for the purpose of this explanation and each team can have up to 100 of these types of weapons out at any time per map. Each team can also have up to 100 rams placed on a map.

As many as we can fit without causing too much stress on the servers. We can’t be more specific than that, but I can assure everyone that the cap is definitely split equally between all three worlds.

We have heard multiple reports for months about people being queued for a map and entering it only to have the outmanned buff, but unfortunately we’ve never been able to verify ways that could be occurring. I’m not saying it isn’t happening, but we haven’t ever been able to reproduce the problem, and if we can’t reproduce the core problem, it makes it basically impossible for us to find and fix the bug

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#20 -

% of classes that on average play WvW

List top players re kills / to death ratio

I would love to show the percentage of particular classes that play in WvW at some point, but it isn’t part of our current plans.

Kill/Deaths ratio is something we would like to avoid having. We don’t want people changing the way they play because they would rather protect their KDR instead of helping their allies in the game. We want people playing and fighting, not worrying about deaths impacting their stats.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#21 -

Also, what it the hp of wooden/reinforced/fortified walls and gates?

Quite a lot, but I don’t have exact numbers. I can tell you that we also increase the defenses of the reinforced/fortified structures and not just their HP.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#26 -

They tend not to play with their anet tags on in wvw as it attracts typically unwanted attention and resentment from players attempting to lead servers.

Actually I LOVE playing with my tag on..I make a great decoy because everyone starts rushing me to try and kill me

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#28 -

Thanks for posting Mike. Would you mind answering another question while you’re at it?

-Is dropping siege blueprints for other characters to pick up an intended function? It seems very bizarre.

It is indeed intended (and bizarre). We would actually prefer to just make the blueprints tradeable, but there are a couple of funky code interactions that happen to make that impossible for us currently. It’s something we’d like to address at some point, but it’s not very high on the priority list currently.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#47 -

wow this is the sort of communication people love thank you Mike!

I think it was Colin who stated in an earlier interview (during development) that people should never have to leave WvW if they don’t want to. Do you feel that you’ve met this goal so far (or was it a misinterpretation on my part)?

You’re welcome! Things have been really busy around here since we shipped, and that’s a big reason why we haven’t had a chance to communicate nearly as much as we’d like to, so we’re trying to make an effort to change that. We want to talk to you just as much as you want us to tell you stuff

As far as being able to play just in WvW and never have to leave if they don’t want to, that most definitely is our goal, and I think we’ve done a fairly good job at that so far. We do need to make sure ascended gear is obtainable in WvW, but other than that I think we’ve mostly made it so you never have to leave WvW if you just want to play there forever. Feel free to point out why I’m wrong about that

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#69 -

Account bound blueprints

We tried changing blueprints to being account bound and it completely broke the pack up skill when holding the blueprint so we can’t do that either unfortunately.

I’m hoping that someday may find some programmer magic that can solve this so we can at least get rid of them being soulbound, but nobody is looking at it currently.

Badge usefulness, gear variety and earning gold in wvw compared to pve

We are working on a number of different updates that should address these issues over the next couple of months.

We are still working out all the details, but the team has been working on some pretty exciting stuff that should address many of the very valid points you folks brought up. I can’t say much more than that quite yet, but we’re aware of it and we’re working on it.

Any changes or additional things to commander icon?

We’ve talked about a number of improvements we’d like to make to the commander system as a whole, but it’s not on anyone’s schedule right now.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#108 -

Good afternoon! It’s a lovely day here in Seattle, but a bit cold, so I figure this is a good time to answer some questions

I was going to wait to ask this until after the Feb update. However I was wondering if there will be any changes going into forced respawn after being stomped for…30 seconds (something like that)

We haven’t settled all the details yet but we’re working on a forced respawn timer. It’s a good thing that your allies can revive you but I think the game will be better off without corpse scouts, etc.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#110 -

You asked if Anet would give any direct answers. I posted they did. I misread your original post, TRUE, answers. I play a ton of WvW3 and have plenty of experience the awkwardness of seige despawn rates. That was the point of my post. That is the answer. I dnt think they will spend anymore time on it.

As Mike said, we’re aware that there’s an issue and we’re looking into it but we don’t have a solid repro in our test/dev environment which makes it much more difficult to debug. That said, we do have some ideas about how we might proceed so we at least have some ideas to try out and test. One thing I’d like to see, for example, is a visible indicator of how much time is left before the siege despawns. That will make it easier for everyone to know the state of the siege and it should help us eliminate some false positives from the bug reports (siege got destroyed/used when the reporting playing wasn’t looking, etc.) which should, in turn, help us hone in on the specific bug that’s happening. And while we’re in there adding a timer we’ll also spend some time robustifying (it’s a word!) the system. There’s no timeline on these changes yet but we are working on it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#112 -

Are projectile destroying skills actually intended to destroy siege projectiles? Or is this a case of creative use of game mechanics you guys didn’t quite expect.

Also what has been the most surprising placement you’ve seen for a treb that actually worked?

I don’t know the answer to the siege projectile question (someone in design surely does though) so I’m going to skip that one.

As for the most surprising siege placement, for me that has to be the point blank trebuchet. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me that people might do that, but I honestly wasn’t expecting it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#119 -

is the server Ferguson’s Crossing named after you?

Yep, that’s named after Mike! During some of our betas we had a variety of servers named after team members (mine was “Loew’s Point”) but Ferguson’s Crossing is the only of them that stuck.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#122 -

Any chance we might get a chance to the slightly awkward badges system we have right now? Moving the bags to the feet of the player is nice and all, but it doesn’t help much in a thick battle, and I’m sure most of the players actively engaged in wvw have had their share of lost bags. AFAIK, there once was an answer among the lines of “we don’t have the tech for that now”, but I can’t really see how this should prove to be unsolvable…

As a suggestion: Couldn’t we just get rewards based on a slightly modified monthly tracker? You know, the one that says “players killed in wvw” – just add an npc that hands out as many bags as the counter says and resets it back to zero.

In the beginning players killed NPCs and found loot on the NPC corpses. That setup is nice because it makes sense (gruesome sense, but still sense). If you kill a dude where is his stuff? In his pockets of course (see also: The Hobbit). If the corpse decayed then a bag was left behind so players would have one last chance to pick it up (it doesn’t hurt that rendering a bag is cheaper than rendering a high-poly character model.

Then WvW was born and players started killing players. At first we left the loot on the corpses as before but then a thousand player voices rang out and said “WTF man? I can’t jump down off this wall to get my loot because there’s like a hojillion enemy guys down there waiting to plant me like a tulip bulb!” or “WTF man? I can’t get up on top of that wall to get my loot because the whole point of a castle is that people can’t do that stuff!” We heard those pleas and, after some internal arguments (er, design discussions) we decided that realism could go suck it because getting loot is awesome.

So why did we put the bags at your feet rather than just dumping the items into your inventory? Part of the answer is that it was the smallest possible change that could work (programmers like stuff like that). We already had the bag spawning system so we could just reuse it. Another part of the answer is that picking up loot can be a bit like unwrapping a present and we didn’t want to ruin the unwrapping for everybody. Finally, if we just start putting loot into player inventory then we need to deal with a bunch of edge cases and at the time we had more pressing issues to work on. For example, when your inventory fills up items you receive go into inventory overflow and your character becomes encumbered. That makes you move really slowly and that didn’t seem like a nice thing to do to people in the middle of a fight. There were some others that I don’t recall off the top of my head, but suffice it to say there were some thorny design questions about the best way to handle it.

We have tossed around some ideas for ways to improve the system but it’s relatively low priority so nobody is actively working on it right now.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#123 -

As many as we can fit without causing too much stress on the servers. We can’t be more specific than that, but I can assure everyone that the cap is definitely split equally between all three worlds.

in regards to server limitations does this apply to ranger pets?
do they count as 1 towards the limit?

Nope our map limits only take into account actual players. That said, when we were picking population limits we took into account the fact that some players would have pets/minions/etc.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#154 -

I have the answers to a few of these questions as well!

Are projectile destroying skills actually intended to destroy siege projectiles? Or is this a case of creative use of game mechanics you guys didn’t quite expect.

Also what has been the most surprising placement you’ve seen for a treb that actually worked?

This is intended! We actually had issues in early testing because players were able to reflect trebuchet shots. The oddest place i’ve seen siege is probably on top of the ruins by the underground entrance to blue’s keep.

Maybe a dev could answer this… I always wondered if there are plans for WvW ever getting some big events like in PVE. Dragon-sized stuff like one taking over Stonemist… could that ever happen?

There are no plans currently. However, this is something that is not off the table for the future and is often day dreamed about. I’m sure everyone would love to see a large size event start and destroy something. as long as they didn’t own it.
The question we ask when building content is “can this be fun for all three teams involved?” This question is a large part of the design process, and often leads to changes or cancellation of content.

Has there ever been an official reason given for why enemies appear as ‘Server-name Invader’? Does this reflect a deliberate gameplay design decision, or a technical constraint?

Some of the reasons behind enemies appearing as ‘Server-name Invader’ where to avoid harassment issues, let other servers identify what server you are from, and to help establish server rivalry. The way your server name reads is something we would love to adjust, and I am hopeful that we will!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#155 -

Waypoints are currently the most powerful upgrade in the game but there are a few issues.

They are only inactive when the defense quest is active, are you guys planning on disabling them slightly longer than the defense quest to allow attackers to keep the defenders from spawning there just as the defense quest lapses?

For example under the current system I can count down on voip the defense quest and spawn in everyone right as it hits zero and before attackers can reflag the keep.

This is definitely a bug. I’ll see about leaving the rally points disabled for a few extra seconds after the event has completed. That way it just stays disabled if the event starts back up.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#249 -

Waypoints are currently the most powerful upgrade in the game but there are a few issues.

They are only inactive when the defense quest is active, are you guys planning on disabling them slightly longer than the defense quest to allow attackers to keep the defenders from spawning there just as the defense quest lapses?

For example under the current system I can count down on voip the defense quest and spawn in everyone right as it hits zero and before attackers can reflag the keep.

This is definitely a bug. I’ll see about leaving the rally points disabled for a few extra seconds after the event has completed. That way it just stays disabled if the event starts back up.

Just to calm nerves I wanted to bring this up again.
This is something that we would like to adjust, but doing so could remove one of the larger advantages of having the waypoint upgrade. With my mentioned adjustment it would also mean that one player would be able to lock down a location indefinitely. Changes to how this system works will need to be thoroughly designed and tested and as such will require time. I would not expect to see changes to how this works soon.