• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagWill existing achievements get converted?Source
Xavori.3768
Target Source
#1 -

I’m kinda diggin’ the announcement that achievements will have value, even if it ultimately ends up being nothing but cosmetic stuff. However, I’m a bit concerned that my 4200+ points will go -poof-.

So, do we get tokens for our existing points? Is the exchange going to be 1 to 1?

Inquiring kittens want to know!

p.s. Are there going to be a lot of new ways to get achievements added? I am kinda running out of them…

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

The initial version will only be for daily/monthly achievements (this will not be retroactively rewarded.) Later you’ll see a system in place that rewards more expanded achievements points which will retroactively reward all achievements already earned, yes.

However, there are some achievements which are infinitely repeatable currently. It is highly likely so this new system isn’t broken we’ll need to cap those and people who have made insane progress down one of those lines will lose some of their progress to get back to the cap. I wouldn’t recommend anyone go bonkers trying to progress an infinitely repeatable achievement category in anticipation of the release of this system, as you will likely lose some points/progress if you take it to an extreme number.

We’re still working out the details on the system, so that’s about as far into detail as I can go currently.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#14 -

The only infinitely repeatable achievement I can think of is Agent of Entropy that you get for salvaging stuff. Playing normally (ie. never going out of my way to salvage stuff), I’ve gotten 140 points out of 4224 total points. I salvage everything that vendors for less than 90c.

If all I lose is those 140 points, I’d be okay with it. However, I’m not sure that I’d qualify as someone who went crazy. It’s 2 points per 200 salvages. So, I’m at about 14,000 items salvaged.

Also, based on the screenshot and the value of dailies (9) and monthlies (35), it looks like you can get a nice amount of stuff each month with the 305 points you’d get for completing 30 dailies and the monthly.

Really looking forward to this.

Just want to quickly point out to get out ahead of it since those numbers are wildly off. You receive 1 crown per daily, and 10 per monthly. (We’re also still tweaking the costs of the items shown in the screen shot, and will continue to adjust them until until the system is released.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#19 -

Remember the Halloween jumping puzzle? I hope I don’t end up having to do it again.

You won’t lose any achievement progress and will get full credit for all that kind of thing, absolutely. The only stuff that might need to be capped are achievements that extend infinitely that a handful of people have taken to extreme levels, we’ll discuss other options as well but I think if an effort to be transparent, it’s better to get out ahead of expectations so no one is surprised.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#25 -

The initial version will only be for daily/monthly achievements (this will not be retroactively rewarded.) Later you’ll see a system in place that rewards more expanded achievements points which will retroactively reward all achievements already earned, yes.

However, there are some achievements which are infinitely repeatable currently. It is highly likely so this new system isn’t broken we’ll need to cap those and people who have made insane progress down one of those lines will lose some of their progress to get back to the cap. I wouldn’t recommend anyone go bonkers trying to progress an infinitely repeatable achievement category in anticipation of the release of this system, as you will likely lose some points/progress if you take it to an extreme number.

We’re still working out the details on the system, so that’s about as far into detail as I can go currently.

This guy who posted his screenshoot with 10k achievement points earned by salvaging… he won’t be very happy xD

Yeah we’ll need to figure out something for folks who do fall into that category, I just want to make sure to get out ahead of expectations so people don’t all feel they should now go rush off and have to do this (or other infinitely repeatable achievements.) We don’t want people to feel they need to play the game that way and have it be the best way to be rewarded.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#29 -

Remember the Halloween jumping puzzle? I hope I don’t end up having to do it again.

You won’t lose any achievement progress and will get full credit for all that kind of thing, absolutely. The only stuff that might need to be capped are achievements that extend infinitely that a handful of people have taken to extreme levels, we’ll discuss other options as well but I think if an effort to be transparent, it’s better to get out ahead of expectations so no one is surprised.

Colin, will we still be rewarded for the things like map completetion? I am wondering if I should wait to level the last 3 of my alts and get 100% until after? Will that sort of thing be retroactive also?

You will be yes, no reason to change your play habits in any way when it comes to anything other than if you’re collecting achievements points by progressing massively down an infinitely repeatable achievement. Map complete away!

We haven’t finalized a solution for those in that specific category, I just want to get out ahead and warn this probably isn’t the best use of your time if you were considering it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#30 -

The only infinitely repeatable achievement I can think of is Agent of Entropy that you get for salvaging stuff. Playing normally (ie. never going out of my way to salvage stuff), I’ve gotten 140 points out of 4224 total points. I salvage everything that vendors for less than 90c.

If all I lose is those 140 points, I’d be okay with it. However, I’m not sure that I’d qualify as someone who went crazy. It’s 2 points per 200 salvages. So, I’m at about 14,000 items salvaged.

Also, based on the screenshot and the value of dailies (9) and monthlies (35), it looks like you can get a nice amount of stuff each month with the 305 points you’d get for completing 30 dailies and the monthly.

Really looking forward to this.

Just want to quickly point out to get out ahead of it since those numbers are wildly off. You receive 1 crown per daily, and 10 per monthly. (We’re also still tweaking the costs of the items shown in the screen shot, and will continue to adjust them until until the system is released.)

Will we still get the mystic coins along with these new crowns? And will the current karma rewards be effected?

BTW I am loving the direction you are taking in rewarding open world exploration!.

You will still receive all the same rewards you currently get for your daily and monthly achievements, this will be an additional reward on top of it to make it more rewarding.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#53 -

Colin – got any examples of what the new variable dailies might be? Is there going to be much of a time gap between the variable versions and the subsetting (eg 4/6)? Feels like you’re going to push players into daily achievements in parts of the game they don’t necessarily like if there’s much of a time gap between the two.

In going back to that whole “let people play the way they want to play” concept:

We’re going to hold off on adding most of the daily achievements that send you to specific parts of the game until we’ve added the ability to select from a list (like 4/6.) The initial version you’ll see with rotating daily achievements won’t feature too many new achievement options, since we don’t want to do more specific type achievements without giving you the choice to pick from a list of stuff you’re more excited about.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#56 -

I just completed my January monthly so if the January update includes the achievement changes, does it mean I will lose out on the 10 crowns, or will I be retro actively compensated at least just for this month?

The January monthly achievement, regardless of when you complete it will not reward the new crown currency.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#88 -

Am I right thinking that we wil receive that new crowns both for daily/monthly and for some open-world activities?

Yes, Colin stated that you will get 1 Crown per Daily and 10 Crowns for a Monthly. This is planned to be introduced during the January update.

The blog also stated that Crowns will be offered for achievements down the track, possibly linked to “open world achievement tracks”, which suggests things like completing Jumping Puzzles, Dungeons and Mini-Dungeons, and maybe even Diving Goggles. However, this will be introduced after the January update.

I just want to clarify, the blog post never said anywhere that rewards for normal achievements outside of daily/monthly achievement will give tokens (crowns). We haven’t finalized what the rewards will be for the expanded achievement rewards, and it’s entirely possible they will have their own unique reward system.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#117 -

Yes we still get jugs and the other stuff.

Forgot to ask if we get crowns from PvP daily and monthly (meaning 80/month not 40). I hope not, I don’t want to be forced into doing pvp just to get my ascended and precursor at 2x speed.

You do not earn crowns for the daily or monthly PvP achievement, and the items you can earn for spending crowns are not intended for purely PvP players. We don’t want to make PvP players feel like they need to do PvE achievements to maximize their daily rewards, or PvE players feel like they need to do PvP achievements to maximize their daily rewards.

We’ll be evaluating progression and rewards in PvP with a separate system that takes players from all sides into account without making them feel like they have to play one part of the game they may not be interested in.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#122 -

It looks like the nagging question still unanswered is how the tokens will be stored.

The new currency earned from daily and monthly category completion is an account wide currency that is visible in your inventory, next to your karma. No inventory space required!

Will the ‘select 4 of 6’ mechanic work for the monthly as well as the daily achievements? I don’t run dungeons and so have never gotten the monthly achievement – I’d like to be able to ‘play my own way’ and still get the monthly

Definitely something that we’re looking at, but we haven’t finalized all the details yet.