• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagComplaint about Gem Purchases.Source
blackysharky.7581
Target Source
#1 -

Dear ArenaNet,

after 5 great Months of playing Guild Wars 2 and enjoying every of the bigger Events of it, like the Halloween or Wintersday Event, I sadly have to make / write a complaint about an issue I’ve got with this game since the Halloween Event. First I didn’t want to write one and thought, oh well, lets just wait and see if they can fix this issue or add some sort of an enable or disable feature for it, but it just didn’t happen.

So, what my complaint is about, is the huge annoyance of buying Gems from your Gemshop / the Trading Post. I’ve never encountered this in any other Game before, I’m a grown man, got a good job and I think I can fairly say I know how much money I can spend on one thing or as many things I want in a Week, Month or even a Year.

So I’m really getting kind of p*** off when I have to write every week like 3 to 5 e-mails to the customer support that they should please increase the limit of my account (again!) so I can spend more money, money which is paying your salary and bills in the end, on gems! I just don’t get it, I wrote about a thousand times they can set my account to limitless, I give them my permission, anything they want to identify me and know that this is actually my account, but they just won’t.

Now I really hope you guys will do something about this issue, since I’m sure not the only one who is getting annoyed by this. So please add some sort of an authentication system to your gemshop or customer support, where people can write to and proof that they’re over 18, that it’s their account and credit card they’re using and that they’re giving you permission to remove the limit lock from their accounts.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

I understand your comments, and I do see your point of view. I was rather surprised to learn we have “trottles” on purchases. The reasoning behind those controls could be related to many things, and I don’t want to misspeak in saying “They’re in place for ABC reason.” But I will share your thoughts and see what if there are changes planned, or individual flags possible, so you don’t run into this situation.

In the meantime, thanks for your support of the game and for your reasoned feedback.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#5 -

Removing your stored credit card information and adding it is a temporary solution to get past this.

That does work for some players. Thanks for sharing.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#11 -

I to have hit this a few times, I don’t want to comlane more just add that maybe you could have a email verify ever time you buy gems to prevent fraud

That’s an interesting suggestion, Norris. I do wonder what would happen if someone’s identity was stolen, or if both his/her game and email were hacked. Couldn’t someone then run up huge amounts of purchases against the desire of the real account owner?

I believe the limits are put in place as a form of damage control: to prevent abuse of a person’s credit and, honestly, to reduce losses if the user were to be found to be using a stolen CC or to be involved in CC fraud.

I can’t argue that having limits is a pain in the patootie when you’re trying to make purchases. I guess I just see where it’s not altogether a bad idea, either.