• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagThe Sinister Market ManipulatorSource
Tarvok.4206
Target Source
#1 -

Hey, I’m curious about something. For those of you who feel the activities of active traders is negatively impacting your game… what exactly is it that you’re doing that is being impacted by this activity? I only ask because I honestly can’t figure out what the TP is for for those of us who’d rather avoid that sort of thing, given there are supplies of very good items that have nothing to do with it (karma, tokens, etc).

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#28 -

GW2’s TP is by a wide margin less effectively manipulated than the other games mentioned in this thread.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#58 -

I did not promise to do anything to lodestones, nor did that blog have anything to do with lodestones.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#63 -

the few stones we do have in the market are being manipulated

You don’t know this.

in the space of 2 day I’ve seen the price shoot up by 30 silver!

Well yes. If you look at GW2spidy and look at charged lodestones, you’ll see a decline in supply from 2 days ago (~600 to ~400). That will increase the price. Supply/demand.

I don’t know that theres a lack of charged lodestones in the market?!?!!?
And they are being manipulated, why do you think they jumped in price by 10% of their value.

Take closer look at this screenshot!!!

In the last 24 hours 2193 Lodestones have been traded. The amount of sell orders on the TP doesn’t necessarily represent supply.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#67 -

I did not promise to do anything to lodestones, nor did that blog have anything to do with lodestones.

You were talking about balancing the market by adding more ways to get items if they were lacking places to get them in game.

And based on how many threads there are on the forums about this topic and how much they cost lodestones are clearly not balanced in this game.

Oh I’m sorry, please tell me what I was talking about in my blog. I didn’t mean to interrupt you, continue.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#70 -

You were talking about balancing the market by adding more ways to get items if they were lacking places to get them in game.

And based on how many threads there are on the forums about this topic and how much they cost lodestones are clearly not balanced in this game.

Oh I’m sorry, please tell me what I was talking about in my blog. I didn’t mean to interrupt you, continue.

Again from your blog

We’ve noticed several markets that are clearly out of sync in terms of supply and demand. It isn’t interesting or fun to have a market flooded with items that contain very little value, so we’re making adjustments to the game every day. Players can expect to see these markets even out over time.

Just answer me this john, charged lodestones, does a.net consider this out of sync or not?

Because there have be many threads about this topic whether it stirs around manipulators, lack of supply or one lodestone being higher than the other.

I was making the point that you guys are working to balance the TP, on the topic of lodestones, I do not think they are, at all.

Your currently fixing precursors which are like 500 gold give or take,
And yet some people think that 430 gold for 100 charged lodestones is acceptable, what logic is that?!

I find this post disrespectful and rude. Until you learn to stop and think about what you’re asking, take in the information you have and make a logical question I’ll not be replying.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#98 -

Let’s make sure to keep a few things in mind when discussing:

1. No single person represents the population, do not assume that you do
2. These forums are not representative of the population

We should attempt to make our arguments based on what we know, not based on who we think has the largest amount of public opinion (Even if a large portion of the populace does agree with your side, using that as evidence is a logical fallacy).

This statement:

2 ) Player “has his” and feels entitled to defend the misery of the vast majority of players who just want to be able to advance at a reasonable pace in a game (without their experience held hostage to insufferable people who are psychologically dependent upon the deprivation of others)"

isn’t helpful.

I don’t mean to pick on you plasma, because you’re solid. To make it up to you I’ll discuss your points (though this sounds vastly narcissistic, I don’t mean it to be, just don’t have a lot I can give you. I’ll tell you the quantity traded of any item over the last 24 hours or something similar )

As a reminder from intermedate levels, many assumptions about what make “pure free markets” healthy break down under scrutiny (both in mmos and often in the real world, but MORE often in mms), including but not limited to:

1 – ease of entry for competition (both direct and indirect substitution)
2 – perfect distribution of information
3 – high elasticity of demand for any one product
4 – perfect liberty to bring goods to market (in the real world, when sugar gets too high, companies can sub in corn syrup. Not in any MMO i’ve seen)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#98 -

Let’s make sure to keep a few things in mind when discussing:

1. No single person represents the population, do not assume that you do
2. These forums are not representative of the population

We should attempt to make our arguments based on what we know, not based on who we think has the largest amount of public opinion (Even if a large portion of the populace does agree with your side, using that as evidence is a logical fallacy).

This statement:

2 ) Player “has his” and feels entitled to defend the misery of the vast majority of players who just want to be able to advance at a reasonable pace in a game (without their experience held hostage to insufferable people who are psychologically dependent upon the deprivation of others)"

isn’t helpful.

I don’t mean to pick on you plasma, because you’re solid. To make it up to you I’ll discuss your points (though this sounds vastly narcissistic, I don’t mean it to be, just don’t have a lot I can give you. I’ll tell you the quantity traded of any item over the last 24 hours or something similar )

As a reminder from intermedate levels, many assumptions about what make “pure free markets” healthy break down under scrutiny (both in mmos and often in the real world, but MORE often in mms), including but not limited to:

I assume here you are referring to market failures occurring in natural markets. I would argue this happens significantly more often in the real world, but that may be a larger discussion.

1 – ease of entry for competition (both direct and indirect substitution)
2 – perfect distribution of information
3 – high elasticity of demand for any one product
4 – perfect liberty to bring goods to market (in the real world, when sugar gets too high, companies can sub in corn syrup. Not in any MMO i’ve seen)

1. MMOs are fantastic for this, especially GW2. There is nothing I can think of in the game that players can’t decide to enter into the market for because everything in the game you can just go get, there’s no stopping you.
2. There is imperfect information, but there is significantly less imperfect information than the real world. There is also less market failures associated with imperfect information because of homogeneous goods. Homogeneous goods are one really cool thing about virtual economies.
3. This isn’t unique to MMOs or the real world, neither are the actions associated with it. It’s possible I’m missing the point on this one.
4. For this I would argue the opposite. MMOs are notorious for substitute goods. Especially when it comes to stats, I can change rarity, type, order of stats in a myriad of combinations with less than a 1% change in my total effectiveness. Switching to corn syrup causes significantly more than a 1% change in a product.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#103 -

The general consensus of the community is you cannot personally go out and enter the market as a supplier of anything due to DR mechanics.

I literally just asked people to stop doing this.

If you want a “flaming sword” look, you either multibox an ele or you have one choice: volcanus

This is an invalid argument. This is equivalent to saying if you want one specific item, and only that item, there are no substitutes. In the end, that may be true relative to the person, since the aesthetics are subjective. The equivalent comparison is someone wants an iphone and no other phone, then there are no substitutes, except in the case of GW2 the functionality is exactly the same.