• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagScamming -- Open question for Arena Net StaffSource
Smitten.3076
Target Source
#1 -

Due to multiple conflicting statements made in regards to if Arena Net will or will not stomp the scamming going on, I’ve the necessity to ask the question.

What is Arena Net’s official stance on Scammers?

Keep in mind before you answer the following : Support staff adamantly state they won’t do anything about it. Certain Staff members here have stated that they DO when sufficient evidence is provided. There is a report option for scamming, and it’s against the code of conduct. The last thread with general discussion on this topic was locked, I assume because it shone a light on the apathy of ArenaNet’s support staff to handle it as the discussion was civil.

For a company that has such a wonderful track record, this has to be the most disappointed with support I’ve been in any modern mmo.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

I have answered this many times. Please review the forums to find a previous answer. It has not changed over time.

If you have actual examples of an occasion that backs up the “adamently state they won’t do anything” I’d like to see that ticket number. Not rumour. Not player posts. But an actual ticket where our agent said such a thing, because that simply is not true. We will not get in the middle of gentleman’s agreements and pluck items off an account and return them, because it’s usually too difficult to establish all the details. However, we will will take action when we can establish that someone is a scammer.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

That’s great info, thank you! I’m reviewing that ticket and you’re absolutely right — the agent misspoke just a tad. We do take action if we are given evidence that a scam took place. What we do not retrieve the stolen items or gold.

Preventing scams is a major reason why the Trading Post was developed, and why we so strongly encourage its use. The TP has substantially reduced player scamming, which is good for everyone. In cases where people choose to work outside the TP, they’re entering a Gentleman’s Agreement and we do not get in the middle of the trade. What we do get involved in, though, is taking action against the scammer, if we can establish that a scam took place.

So:

• Use the Trading Post
  • If you do not, know that you’re putting trust in the other person
  • If you lose your gold or items, we cannot retrieve them
  • If you are scammed, we will do our best to establish this and take action against the scammer.

I hope that helps reassure you that we’re not “hands off” on scammers!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#6 -

Perfect that is absolutely all I want, to know that the scammers aren’t simply getting away with it and Anet is indeed going after them. If I can provide anything else to assist in the ticket please let me know.

We’ll take a look, and I’ll let you know if there’s more that you can provide. But trust me, we’re all very alert to scammers and do our utmost to give them the time-out or the termination that they deserve.