• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagPlaying for the inflationary compensationSource
Noerknhar.3826
Target Source
#1 -

Inflation is a big deal in GW2 as it destroys the chance of “not so active” players to ever achieve something great. Of course, hard work should be rewarded and legendaries should never be for free or easy to acquire. But have you seen precursor prices? Don’t get me wrong, I wear a full T3-cultural armor, have nearly every color in game and a 150g staff skin etc. I’m fine, I totally am. But have you ever thought about why precursor prices and basicly all other prices are going up and up? It’s called inflation – your money is losing worth every single day. And this inflation is based on exploiting and botters.

Let’s have a look at a casual normal player spending 2-3hours per day on GW2. If he’s doing some instances and/or fractals, he might get up to 5-6g per day (let’s not talk about how boring instances and/or fractals are in the long term). By having a look on the prices and how they evolve, that’s no earnings. This player is playing for the inflationary compensation. He’ll nearly never be able to get a legendary if he doesn’t exploit.

ArenaNet, why don’t you ban those precursor-lvl65-grawl-exploiters? Why don’t you delete those items? Why don’t you bind legendaries on account? Why don’t you do something about the market you created and that’s falling into pieces?

If you don’t care about inflation and such, I’m fine. But if you do, do something before it’s to late – time’s running.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#15 -

I think it’s fair to judge inflation on the items that are worth to think about in end game. Maybe the precursor example is a bit limiting, but it’s the best example for what i meant to say

You would be entirely incorrect in an economic standpoint.

Inflation is measured by the price levels of goods people buy regularly, not the price tags on private jets or other “endgame” goods people buy when they’re extremely wealthy.

This is correct, you cannot measure inflation by luxury goods, or by a single good, or by the several other assumptions you’re making (sell orders represent sales?).

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#20 -

Spidy only show orders, not completed transaction.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#22 -

I feel like I’m getting trolled here. Good day sir.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#36 -

Dear John,

while I appreciate that you jumped in our discussion, I am a bit disappointed that your only comment was about the definition of inflation. If you had a look at the completed transactions for t5/t6 materials, ectos, bufffood and ingredients in the most common/most used bufffoods, you’d noticed that those prices went up by a lot in the last 4-8 weeks. I think ‘inflation’ kind of is the right word to describe such a situation.

Even if not, I don’t want to discuss the definition of a word. I want to discuss the main point of my first post in this thread: (casual) players don’t really earn money as prices go up and up. They will NEVER get a legendary as the precursor is the blocking factor.
Those two points are what i wanted to discuss.

Ah and by the way: I think that orders are a good indicator for inflation and that there actually is no need to view the completed transactions as orders are always “close around” completed transaction prices. gw2spidy’s data is the best available and it’s not bad.

The points in the first and third paragraph have been brought up and answered in other threads…several times. I’ve made my points on both inflation and GW2spidy and measuring value. I’ve not only specifically told you how you are incorrect, I’ve provided data for it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#84 -

The oddly straight lines we see sometimes are caused by bugs in the graphing, not a lack of trading.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#128 -

I feel like this has gotten a bit off topic, I haven’t read thoroughly enough to grasp what the debate is. Lets start a new thread relative to exactly what we’re discussing . Someone (third part neutral) should summarize the current arguments in the new thread if possible.