• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagPassword length - Website vs. Client LoginSource
Kibbles.9813
Target Source
#1 -

This will only be an issue for few users, but the guildwars2.com website has no upper limit on the character length of the account password, allowing users with KeePass or other similar management systems to generate valid passwords exceeding 200 characters, which work just fine for anything related to the website account management itself.

However, when using a password of such a length, the actual Client no longer recognizes the password as valid. There seems to be a length limitation in the Client itself as to how many characters it will accept, thus resulting in a truncated (invalid) password submission. Could we either get a statement on the maximum character count allowed for the game Client, or have the limitation lifted entirely?

From personal experience, 60 characters seem to work for both the Client and the website, though I haven’t tested it further than that. Thanks in advance!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

I will try to find out this information and update the thread, but I believe the person I need to speak with is out of the office today, so I may not be able to answer until Monday.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

I merged two similar threads and will see what I can learn about this.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#7 -

my naming reservation failed due to problems with passwords at the time, so I couldnt merge accounts at the time and didnt get it done. I experienced problems resetting the password for Gw1 and can only guess its because I used the same email. So I’m rather uncomfortable with the forced password change as I fear getting locked out due to having used the same email for both Gw1 and Gw2.

Oh please don’t be concerned. Many players use the same log-in name for their accounts! I don’t think you’ll have any troubles at all, but if you do, Support is as close as the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.