• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagWhat's your favourite Jumping Puzzle?Source
Xuro.5861
Target Source
#1 -

I can’t help it but I’m so addicted to them, I do atleast 5 to 10 a day after every daily reset for no appareant reason other than fun (since the loot is bad).

My favourite ones are

1) Hidden Garden (the view in this one is so stunningly beautifull)
2) Mad King’s Clock Tower (the rage … the nightmares … 4 hours long ><)
3) Winter Wonderland (quaggan path was my favourite of all three)
4) Skipping Stones (quite awesomely made, just the right timing on the stones)
5) Coddler’s Cove (quaggans)

After doing all jumping puzzles ingame for over 5 months now I can nearly blindly finish them and they became really enjoyable when you no longer fall down (especially the view after you finish some of them).

I hope we get more of them so hopefully they will add some in the februari or march update ^^

What are your favourite ones?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#3 -

Can’t wait for you to see what I’m working on now. You may never leave it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#7 -

Haha. Yeah, I made that one grueling. I figured lvl 80s could handle it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#9 -

Norn sized extra challenge accepted!

Well. I won’t give too much away. But let’s just say that in this JP… size matters not.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#68 -

I’m just annoyed that what should be an optional activity becomes manditory to complete a map. Should not have to complete a JP to get a vista.

Just so you know, the vistas are NOT supposed to be very difficult to get to. However, I gotta say, we dropped the ball on that one, as each map artist was responsible for putting them in their maps, and we all have different ideas of what ‘difficult’ means. I’d love to someday get permission to do a full world pass on them all and make the ones that non-jumpers hate much easier.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#69 -

Anyway, Scavenger’s Chasm is one of my favourites too. I have done it so many times now, I have started to time how fast I would go through it. (10 min atm)

It’s interesting how much love I’m seeing for that one on this thread. In general I’ve mostly heard negative feedback on it. In each JP I’ve done, I’ve tried to explore an element to its fullest. Weyandt’s Revenge was narrative, Griffonrook Run was a 2-part setup where you have to strategically plan your rout, then race to finish it, Clock Tower is straight up race , and Scavenger’s Chasm was all exploration/discovery. I’m a very discovery-oriented player myself, so I loved the building the Chasm and making the little hidey holes. This next one I’m doing is so massive that I’m getting to do a bit of everything in it, so it’s been a super fun experience.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#73 -

None of them. I didn’t realise I had bought a Nintendo JUMP PUZZLE 2 game, but apparently this is a platform game with bells on it.

Your just being silly. Jumping Puzzles are a peripheral activity that is only there for those who want to do them. The dev team has devoted probably less than 1% of their time to creating them. As I said above, there WERE a few slip-ups where vistas are too hard for those who hate jumping, but on the whole GW2 is not about jumping at all.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#79 -

And even if it is not a JP, the labyrinth in Flame Temple Tombs in Diessa Plateau is a very good one.

Uh… I made Diessa Plateau and I don’t know what you’re referring to. Is it new content?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#80 -

the only one i hate is Griffinrook run as i’ve never managed to get the chest, always hit somewhere along the way.

Yeah, I feel so bad about that. I designed it so that the Griffons would never do that one insta-peck move, so they would only do the dive-bomb, which gave you a tell so you could always dodgeroll away in time. But somehow that darn skill slipped back in, and now it’s a matter of dumb luck to get to the end. I’ve been assured that it will be fixed for the next build. But it sucks the the whole design of the challenge is ruined by one small detail.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#82 -

I have to say Scavenger’s Chasm is my favorite overall purely because it’s an actual puzzle. I also absolutely love the area with the running water, the water-worn holes, and just how beautiful it is overall inside. I’m a caver so maybe that has something to do with it, I prefer it for looks over the usually-preferred looks of Hidden Garden just because it’s so complex inside. It’s also impressive that nothing feels copy/pasted (in fact, very little in GW2 overall feels that way, which is very different than most massive games, especially cave systems). It’s also great that each JP is so different.

I want to say thanks for making these and the rest of the team for putting them in the game because it really does make the game more unique and I’m very glad that they’re a big enough success that you’re allowed to continue creating more!

Wow, thanks for the great compliments. I do some spelunking myself, which lead me to try to recreate a claustrophibic feeling in one of the WORST JPs in the game: Troll’s End. Which was NOT that bad until the camera got changed just before we shipped! But then I incorporated that claustrophobia with exploration in Chasm. Also, I sculpted most of the cave props and tunnels in the game, so I’m glad to hear they don’t appear copy-pasty.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#86 -

One suggestion… when you create timed puzzles, add multiple difficulty modes. At the easiest mode, a person would get the most time to complete the puzzle and receive the achievement at the end. At the higher difficulty, there would be better chest rewards but less time to complete the puzzle.

Already on it. I’m currently placing props in my map that will only appear in Baby Mode that will create bridges over the difficult parts. Normal Mode will have none of those. And Stupid Mode… well, if you’ve ever played I Want To Be The Guy or Syobon Action (AKA Cat Mario) you’ll know what to expect. And all with rewards/titles commensurate with the effort involved.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#89 -

Also, are you responsible for the rewards for JP’s? I’m just curious if the loot table for an easy puzzle (like Urmaug) is the same as those which are harder and take much longer (if you can share that type of information)

No, we map artists are teamed up with a scripter, and scripter has to keep all that economy balance stuff in mind. I know little about those issues.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#93 -

And even if it is not a JP, the labyrinth in Flame Temple Tombs in Diessa Plateau is a very good one.

Uh… I made Diessa Plateau and I don’t know what you’re referring to. Is it new content?

It’s this mini-dungeon: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Temple_Tombs

Pretty sure it’s been in since beta, you do a meta-event to attack a firey place and open up a portal that ports you into the mini-dungeon and then there’s some underwater parts with torches and tunnels or something. And some ruins and stuff.

Lots of videos on youtube, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVZnP-QCTQ

Oh right. I forgot it’s final name. I was just calling it the water temple when I was working on it. That’s when Lisa and I first teamed up, and why I recruited her to help me with the one I’m currently working on. She’s the most talented scripter/designer/content person at Anet as far as I’m concerned.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#97 -

If they are OPTIONAL, then remove them from wvw as they have no part in it, block real wvw players from getting in and are the cause of a lot of friction between JP2 fans and wvw players.

I’m not super familiar with how the JP in WvW interacts with the rest of the map, so I can’t really speak to that. I am not an expert on all things GW2 or even JP. I’m speaking from my understanding of the subjects. I would be interested in hearing more about this dynamic though.

Hell, take up my suggestion from months ago and take all the JP’s OUT of wvw and make it it’s own area with it’s own queue system and I’m sure the fanboys here would all love you for it (and the wvw community would love you for it too). Imagine a whole instance full of your favourite JP’s in a pvp area!

That’s not something I have any power over. As I said, tell me more about how JP in WvW is ruining your experience. I’d honestly like to know.

For something that less than 1% of devs time was spent on there certainly seems to be a lot more of them and even more being developed while it been X months and most if not all of the wvw issues still exist.

The reason more of them are coming out is because it’s something the Map Artists can create relatively quickly in small areas that are low-impact and low-risk for creating new bugs and mucking with currently stable systems. I know that we have a good sized team that is dedicated to WvW, so it’s not like anything is being ignored in favor of making JPs.

Maybe the JP team should work on wvw and the wvw team can play with designing JP’s, then we might see some results on wvw.

It doesn’t really work that way. All of our teams have people from all disciplines working on them. There is no JP team. Unless you count my tiny little team working on this short special project. But there is no single team that makes all the JPs. Like I said, they get put in by Map Artists as the inspiration and availability permits. They are not a priority, nor a main feature.

but on the whole GW2 is not about jumping at all.=== so then they didn’t appear in Xmas event as a major part of it, or most other added content doesn’t contain at least an element of either ‘jumping’ or a ‘puzzle’? Fractals has at least one where jumping is a major part of it- of the 3 I saw there was plenty of jumping and opportunities to fall to your death.

Well, I did the JP for Halloween, but I also did a pumpkin patch map, and a boss map, as well as spending a lot of time decorating LA. And our other Map Artist made the maze. On Wintersday I did the airship interior. As far as content distribution the vast majority is still on other things. If your argument is “Why are you making content that I don’t like while X is still a problem.” then you will never be satisfied because the game will never be perfect. We are always trying to make it perfect, but sometimes our solutions will not be the same as yours. And sometimes X is what our designers have decided is the best solution so it won’t change. We can’t make a game that is 100% everyone’s cup of tea. We will spend resources in ways that you would not if you ran ArenaNet. We spend resources in ways that I would not if I ran ArenaNet. The same can be said for any individual in the universe. I hear what you’re saying. You don’t like JPs and wish we would put those resources into other areas. My only contention is that “resources” are not a uniform descriptor. Map Artists can’t fix whatever it is you dislike about WvW. But they CAN make content that appeals to a niche community like the JP crowd without impinging on other systems or turning the game into Super Mario Bros.

I’ll stop being ‘silly’ when you start being ‘sensible’ in your replies to a customer.

Deal.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#100 -

Out of sheer curiosity, did you do the jumping puzzle in the Eternal Battlegrounds as well? Because the size of that is just magnificent. It’s the one and only jumping puzzle that I do regularly – Even if my chest hasn’t reset yet.

Are you considering doing something similar in the future? Either for WvW, or a PvE version – With automated traps, of course.

Also, I’m not a big fan of the timed jumping puzzles. I won’t say I’m terrible at the platforming stuff, but I’m far from the best at it. So getting a wee bit of extra time before getting blown to smithereens would be useful.

Tirzah did the EB JP. She’s the best Map Artist here. I’m constantly amazed by what she creates. I don’t know what plans are for future JPs other than mine. The one I’m working on is so epic it will have a mixture of pretty much everything we’ve ever done in JPs and a whole lot more. But it will also have a Baby mode for people who just want to cruise through it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#108 -

This one that you’re working on.. I suspect you cannot talk much about it, but can you say whether it will be for a currently existing zone or for an as-of-yet unannounced zone? Is it themed for a specific holiday, or is it more general purpose?

Everything about it is brand new. I mean… everything. So it’s going to take a while. Give it a couple months.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#109 -

josh, thank you for answering questions.

I do have one question though. will we still be able to use our normal skills in the new dungeons? because I suck at jumping puzzles but as a engineer, that doesn’t matter as much (jump shot)

No. ALL skills, buffs, or any other un-equalizer will be removed. (including size differences among the races) But if you suck, we will have Baby Mode. So ANYONE should be able to have SOME amount of fun.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#110 -

Josh, I just wanted say thank you so much for sharing all the details about jumping puzzles and the camera design decisions with us. I really enjoyed reading them and I absolutely love the jumping puzzle aspect of GW2.

Frankly, from all the MMOs I have played, there isn’t alot of developers who would sit down and actually chat to players in a manner like yours. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I love to learn, and the only way to learn and get better at what I do is to get feedback. So it’s a pleasure. I appreciate that anyone cares enough about my game to talk about it!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#115 -

i cant jump when i use my quaggan tonics:(

You guessed it! Everyone will be transformed into Baby Quaggan who can’t jump. All you will be doing is rezzing fallen NPCs who are doing a wonderful looking JP above you. I can’t believe you figured it out so soon!

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#134 -

Not really a jumping “puzzle”,

I hate the term Jumping Puzzle. It really only applies to about 20% of them. I’ve always called them Jumping Challenges which covers the scope of what they offer.

Also, I hope we’ll get to be our own characters :’(

I anticipated that most people would want to be their characters, and wouldn’t want to lose the look they’ve worked so hard to achieve, so I made sure we would not transform you into something else. Just don’t expect to be your normal size.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#161 -

The problem with JP’s in wvw is they take up queue spots for people who want to do wvw and help their server win the wvw.

Ok. Thanks for the cogent explanation. I’ll look into counter-arguments and pass this along to someone who has the power to actually do something about it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#194 -

My favorite still is the clock tower. It took the longest of all the JP’s for me, but it felt amazing to finish it.
I’d like to know Josh, if the area in Sparkfly Fen near the Point of Interest and Vista The Tower of Modius that you gain access to through Verarium Delves is going to be a JP later?
I’m not online right now to provide a screenshot but what I came across was a rich platnium with a veteran guarding it, then some bushes to the side that were hiding a cave with what looked like a crumbling fort inside that didnt have anything inside.

Thank you Josh for all the amazing work you & everyone have put into these JP’s, ME LOVE YALL LONG TIME.

Hm. Interesting. I worked on that map mid-development. Meaning someone owned before me and after me. That’s the map where I first started playing around with JPs. The tall ruins bridges and the pirate ghost base in the NE of that map were my first experiments. Then the Lich tower was my idea for making them a mandatory part of an event. Originally you had to take a crazy circuitous rout to get to the cave opening above the tower and drop down onto it. But after I handed the map off to someone else, I know we changed our policy so that no JPs are required for events, map complete, etc. I haven’t actually gone back to that map since launch, so I haven’t seen all the changes, but it’s possible that what you’re seeing is left overs from work I did that had to be cut. But I know that several enterprising map artists are digging around for spots to add more JPs, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it got reopened at some point.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#204 -

For new JP’s added to the game, would it be possible to add a one-time reward to each one that was unique or themed like the JP? I know that might be a lot to ask, but the general idea of a nice reward for the first run of a JP I think would be really cool.

I would love to do that. But then we have the problem of driving those who hate JPs to do them so they can get the goodies. And we don’t want people to feel like they have to do stuff they hate in the game.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#208 -

And before anyone rails at me for lacking skilz, I have Severe RA , deformed hands, and very impaired motor skills. I probably worked harder completing normal vistas than many of you did on the hardest puzzle. I finished all up to Dredgehaunt.. and that JP just ended it for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I expect my disability to gate me from certain things. But JP should be totally optional and not required for anything else.

I hear you. There are 3 kinds of players that have trouble with JPs: Those with poor coordination/timing/depth perception, those with disabilities, and those with poor connections. I think it’s extremely unhelpful to call names or slander those folks, and it’s specifically why we try to communicate the optional nature of jumping content. As I said above, we didn’t implement this perfectly, but I wouldn’t say we failed either. We’re working in a gray area of perceptions and opinions, so we’ll never find a balance that works for everyone.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#209 -

I hate to point this out, being a person that is in a love/hate relationship with jumping puzzles. It is kinda annoying that two jumping puzzles are required to get world completion (Vizier’s Tower & Great Wall in Diessa). I’m not calling you out to change this, I’ve gotten used to them, but I have friends that have given up on world completion for this reason, their computers are just too terrible on lag to give them the ability to do these puzzles properly. Just food for thought on future creations.

I’ll look into this. I’d like to get the Vistas changed or the jumping challenges reduced on any of them that are too hard for casual players. Anyone know of any others that feel too hard?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#220 -

My thought is that perhaps the Vista’s should just be moved somehow, perhaps a little further down in the puzzle, or perhaps their own mini-puzzle.

Right. That’s what I’d like to do. I wouldn’t want to nerf the JPs.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#260 -

Out of curiosity… the “secret” area at the end of Ascalonian Catacombs paths 1 and 3… is that a JP or is this something that was left there???

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/6805/gw013z.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/8276/gw015w.jpg

That one never got finished. I’m sure it will be at some point. That’s another map I worked on midpoint. Hand placed about a trillion bits of grass and detritus all along the walls, hahaha! But Aaron added the JP in the polish pass, and I guess they never got around to scripting it.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#261 -

I know these aren’t intended, but they definitely are jumping challenges.

1st was a pain to get too, involves a lot of jump shotting up and down cliff edges that meant death if you missed or overshot, and a tiny hole you have to jump through(ironically, I the charr made it through on the second try, but my human bud couldn’t do it to save a baby quaggan.)

2nd (3rd picture) wasn’t bad only two jumps were commonly fatal for about 6 deaths total. Took forever though, one jump you have to land on an invisible lip of an edge. But of course, it was definitely worth it. This is on top of Cathedral of Zephyrs I believe.

Both of these are in Malchors Leap and require jump shot(an engineer) or one of its bundle counter-parts from karma vendors.

You crazy kids breaking my maps!!!