• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagCharacter Names on Permabanned Accounts?Source
Mint Jelly.2569
Target Source
#1 -

An account I know of was permanently banned recently, and its owner allowed me to have the old character names if I wanted (since they obviously weren’t going to be used), but I get a notification saying they’re still in use.

I’ve heard that banned accounts are in permanent suspension, but do the names ever get cleared up? The owner said the support ticket for the ban said the action was permanent, and the ban would not be lifted. If that’s the case, what’s the point in holding on to the data and tying up the names?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

An account I know of was permanently banned recently, and its owner allowed me to have the old character names if I wanted (since they obviously weren’t going to be used), but I get a notification saying they’re still in use.

I’ve heard that banned accounts are in permanent suspension, but do the names ever get cleared up? The owner said the support ticket for the ban said the action was permanent, and the ban would not be lifted. If that’s the case, what’s the point in holding on to the data and tying up the names?

We do not free up the names because the loss of the character names is one of the by-products of getting one’s account terminated. If we were to free up the names, someone could just start a new account and use the old names. Too, if we freed up the names and later the original name-holder wanted to use them, we’d have a dispute because two players who both felt they “owned” the names.

So leaving the names locked is best.