• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagGold seller boasting about precursorsSource
Daeron.3608
Target Source
#1 -

I just logged into the game and saw a mail from a grey market gold seller. This is nothing new. These mails are rare but sometimes they find their way to me. I reported the mail and was about to delete it until I took a look at its contents.

It was otherwise a normal gold seller mail, except for this part:

We are sole agent for the best equipment in the game

Then it goes on to list all the precursors.

While this certainly isn’t proof of anything, just alarming, it’s easy to ask some questions. It seems like a logical conclusion that they are atleast trying to control the market and drive up the prices to create more demand for their services (selling gold and possibly precursors). Isn’t this tactic of theirs something similar that drug pushers use? Is Anet really still denying that the precursor prices aren’t manipulated by a group of people like this? I’d add more questions, but I’m sure my fellow players will help me out.

(My backstory is that, while I’m not going for a legendary as I think they all look rather bad, I’m trying to help my guildmate to get his shortbow. We have a small group of players, who were gathering cash for him to buy the precursor from TP, but after the price steadily rising every month, we gave up on it and are now just hoping for a drop as it seems a bit pointless to throw away over 500 gold for it.)

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#4 -

This post is evidence that their methods are effective.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#11 -

That comment wasn’t sarcastic. This thread is evidence of why they put precursors in their mail, because it makes you think about it. That’s how marketing works.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#13 -

I’m attempting to educate individuals that goldsellers will put anything in their mails that they think makes it stick, what it is, is irrelevant.

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#48 -

Ursan is correct, there are many, many players who have earned enough money to purchase or create a precursor outside of the TP.

No, the Precursor market is not controlled by goldsellers.