• Curse Sites
Help
Regional FlagPersonal Story quest level 10Source
woutterr.5974
Target Source
#1 -

My personal story quest on my thief is called breaking blade.

I have to defend a tavern which goes fine, and than I have to kill a mob called Doc Howler. This mob is practically unkillable to me at my current level….

Any tips?

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#2 -

Without knowing your class/traits/level there’s not much I can say, other than the generic tips:
- Make sure your gear is up to spec
- Durability is usually much more effective than sheer damage in story steps—bosses are almost always veteran level
- You will get levelled down to the story step level if you want to outlevel the step and try again, but new skills/traits/etc. that you’ve gained access to will help

ArenaNet Poster
Target Source
#9 -

To repeat what I said in the other thread:

I do think the duration on Howler’s poison can be reduced a bit—it pulses up to 5x for 5s of duration each pulse (so it can apply 25s of poison total) but the 5 pulses appear to take place VERY quickly, making it next to impossible to avoid the whole hit. That being said, I’ve managed to beat this with a L10 thief, elementalist, and engineer, so I don’t think it’s “impossible.” To be fair, I’ve obviously played this game a lot, but I really don’t use any crazy dev tricks or cheats when I test for difficulty. I found Elixer B to be quite helpful for taking Howler down, since it boosts your damage and hurts her every time she hits you.