Colin Johanson has recently posted about the upcoming changes to WvW this month and what to expect in the future. Here's the full quote:

Hey all,

I wanted to quickly give an update on where we stand with upcoming releases for WvW to help give a sense of where we’re at, and set expectations for the coming months. We’re in the midst of finalizing our February release, which I know had been discussed as a potentially large month for WvW additions.

Because of how broad the WvW game type is, and how large testing for features for this area of the game can be we’re going to hold off on any major WvW updates until March to allow a bit more time to test and polish.
March will see the release of the WuvWuv progression system, new ranks you can earn in WvW visible to all other players, and new DubVDub specific abilities/bonuses that you can earn as you rank up. Our team working on WvW will discuss this system in more detail as that date approaches.

Other major systems currently in the works, which will see updates in the future, include:
  • Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.
  • Expanding on reasons to be winning in WvW beyond the total weekly score, providing stronger incentives for specific objectives and additional short term goals/rewards for winning minute-to-minute in the WvW maps.
  • Providing additional ways for WvW players to earn various power-progression rewards available across the game currently in PvE for participating in WvW content.
  • Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.
  • And of course additional polish and cleanup features to make the general experience in WuvWuv more fun and exciting.
We’ll discuss timelines and more details for the projects for 2013 listed above as they get closer to being finalized and we can safely say we know for sure when they will be released. We’ve recently expanded the staffing on our WvW team to build up and expand this core part of Gw2 even more, and we look forward to sharing with you more details and features in the coming month as this group polishes and grows the WvW experience. [Source]

Comments

#1 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

The rage in that thread is extremely entertaining.

Sure, it is a bit disappointing, but I am sure people would whine just as much, if not more, if they did force the release in February and it was not fully tested and completely broken.

Almost always better to push back release if stuff turns up than to force half-tested stuff.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Very glad this is the first reply here.  We need to be optimistic.  R* held back their big baby for polishing, Arenanet is holding their patch back for polishing, it's all good.  Grant them time, and it will be better.

#3 Serris

Serris

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

to be honest, they did first say that a big update was coming january-february, then it was said january was preparing for the big patch in february-march and now he's saying it'll be march. i get that deadlines need to be moved, and it's a good thing to get bugs out. but at least get a public test realm out like wow does. it seems to work well enough for them.

#4 Kumori Tensei

Kumori Tensei

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

As expected, no uphold to word. Losing fans ANet...losing us fast.

#5 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostKumori Tensei, on 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

As expected, no uphold to word. Losing fans ANet...losing us fast.

And you think they would have lost less "fans" had they released an unfinished system?

#6 kidawk

kidawk

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

This is what disappoints me with new MMOs coming out. It isn't that their product is lacking rather it needs to just supercede expectations at the start. If GW2 had raids and more developed WvWvW, pretty sure they could coast for sometime...

Instead, holiday events were priority (bad decision) over solid gameplay.

I guess March isn't that bad but really a Stone Cold Steve Austin type personality needs to head over to their HQ and light a fire under their collective arses.

Nonetheless, these tidbits of info as to what to expect are nothing really new. Was expecting a WvWvW tied dungeon like Darkness Falls....

Maybe next year ~_~

#7 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

LOL - I like how Colin says both WuvWuv and DubVDub.   I wonder if he's listening to Guildcast.

I'm looking forward to seeing the increased rewards in WvW.   I really enjoy WvW but I was originally hoping I could level at least one character solely through WvW.    I suppose it still it possible but the rate of progressing that way it is so inefficient I'm thinking of just going back to PvE-ing, capping the character and then using them for WvW.

#8 Arduin

Arduin

Q&A King

• Site Contributors

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm in for the long haul, so I'll play the new WvW stuff when it's ready®. Plenty of stuff yet in this game to waste my time on.

Feeling your post got wrongfully deleted? Thread locked? Want to chat? Send me a PM. I won't bite :eek:

Be wary of expressing your opinion as fact; facts can be proven wrong.

#9 Craywulf

Craywulf

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

I don't need an announcement when an update is coming or delayed. My fun isn't dictated by an update. I know parts of the game could be tweaked or "fixed" but I have no problems playing the game as is.

I would rather ArenaNet go back to their "When it's Ready® " policy of only talking about things that are actually finished. This way they can avoid all this raging and just tell their consumers to be patient.

#10 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostDoctor Overlord, on 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

This in a nutshell is the biggest problem currently beside queue time.  The game mode is on the box.  It should be constantly accessible and self contained (it almost is).

#11 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostCraywulf, on 06 February 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Indeed, problem however is that people will rage and complain just as much about the "lack of information" and "ArenaNet don't do anything".

So they lose no matter what they do really.

#12 gordon

gordon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Who's to say the March release won't be unfinished or bugged? They've been talking about this great February update for months.

This delay, coupled with the crazy rankings reset, the new culling system, and alleged queue problems could spell real disaster for WvW.

#13 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

View Postgordon, on 06 February 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

No one, but now they will have more time.
If they feel right now that they won't be able to get it ready in time for the February release, it is after all better to delay it, than forcing a  release.

Funny, I see WvW as living as ever, even after this "crazy ranking reset", the new culling system and the queue "problems".

• 2099 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostArduin, on 06 February 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

So, am i, I'm very happy where I'm at but i can wait till stuff when it's ready but there are other people that want it now, will you can play another game, while you wait, you aren't paying to play it. So damn wait and play another game.

#15 Craywulf

Craywulf

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 06 February 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

So they lose no matter what they do really.
There's some truth to it, but as long time poster here, before GW2's hype. I was exercising patience. It needs to be repeated endlessly that players need to show patience and that bitching about trivial things like game update isn't going do a damn thing. I don't mind constructive discussions about the game, including it's flaws. But I can't stand whining and blaming someone for it.

#16 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostCraywulf, on 06 February 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Very true. And I agree, but I guess ArenaNet feel that they would rather disappoint a few people than being shouted at for not telling us anything.

#17 cyclopsje

cyclopsje

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

People QQ too much if people know so well how to do it, release a game and then we all QQ about that game :P

#18 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Putting actual rewards into WvW is their big chance for grabbing a ton of new players. Everything else needs to be in place at that point, not rushed and half-arsed, if they want to actually hold onto those players.

#19 Kor

Kor

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I've been waiting 6 years; what's another month?

#20 Dark

Dark

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Anet= cant keep promises for S%#&