On February 26th, players can expect the second update to Guild Wars 2's Flame and Frost living world content. Aside from the story progression, other additions will include a new PvP map, guild missions, rated team play matches in sPvP, and the ability to pick and choose daily achievements. The expected World Vs World changes will be seen in March at the earliest.

If you haven't had a chance to participate in the prelude events in Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plataeu, make sure to get those out of the way in these next few weeks. Dulfy has a great guide for last month's content update for those looking for a bit of direction.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Posted Image   Posted Image

Comments

#1 brokerib

brokerib

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Guild missions and selectable dailies.  Nice one.  Selectable monthlies would be great too, I don't have time for dungeons ;)

#2 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

A "teaser" that lasts a month?  Umm okay

#3 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Seems like a pretty big gap between updates, was expecting it to be a a little more one after another every few weeks in quicker succession, be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully they get WvW and Spvp back up to scratch over the next month or two so they can focus fully on the PvE side of the game.

Personlly I hope we get to see mini games in all the city's, more reasons to explore and go to older places, all the lore and story of guild wars fleshed out, a better more in depth and imaginative story for our characters, guild halls, more social and guild functions, community building upgrades etc etc...

Stuff the game really needs. It's missing that gw1 factor I can't put my finger on.

Be nice also to have some content besides dungeons, fractals and farming orr events, seems that is all anyone does anymore and is getting grindy and boring...

#4 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yeah this is extremely disappointing.

I defended Flame and Frost before because it was just a prelude and I figured the updates would occur at a fairly reasonable clip.

I mean, the laurel system couldn't be that hard to have thrown together.  And while guesting was an extremely complex feature from a technical point of view, it was A.net just finally delivering on a feature that they had promised for launch.  The next part better be mind blowing, otherwise I don't know what the heck A.net developers are doing with their time.

#5 Dirame

Dirame

• Community Contributors

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

They are tossing frisbees and giving out candy to poor children. Some people can really be selfish, asinine, douchenozzles.

Looking forward to the update, sucks that I'm going to have to wait 20 days though.

#6 Nightblaze1

Nightblaze1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

[quote name='brokerib' timestamp='1360193894' post='2159631']

I am really liking this selectable dailies. I agree completely, would love to have selectable monthlies, I don't do dungeons or fractals, I don't want them in my monthlies haha. :P

#7 Daenerys

Daenerys

Secretly Christopher Walken

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

The guild updates, sPvP map, and daily updates are going to be exciting. But unless they do weekly patches that push the storyline further, it's going to be dreadfully boring and it'll be quiet on the F+F front after the first week or two of the content being available.

Although the timing is interesting. I really think that we'll be seeing Jormag next because of the location of the crazy storms happening, and due to the direction of the traveling Norn. Not to mention, I believe I saw a new blue dragon symbol painted onto the pathway going from the Norn starting area (can't remember the name, ack!) to Wayfarer Foothills. That might've been there before, and just escaped my notice. But it will be June in four months, a whopping 10 months after GW2's launch - baby's growing up. Maybe that'll be in time for an expansion around Jormag? Possibly?

Questions? Comments? Conversation? Drop me a message!

#8 Obscure One

Obscure One

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Ummm so in a nut shell they're basically still rolling things out and I shouldn't expect anything solidly game changing for a few months and therefore need not concern myself with logging in. MESSAGE RECEIVED Arena Net.

New PvP map? I've barely played the game mode since it's so uninteresting I haven't had a chance to get bored with the old maps...oh wait now were going to Two Team rated PvP in fast and intense ball running action...

...and seriously ANet, are you putting in ANOTHER currency system!? So not only is there Gold, Karma, Gems, Badges of Honor, Dungeon Tokens, and Laurels, but now shiny new "Guild Merits"...yes that's exactly what will draw players back in...another currency system is really what everyone wants...

Is just plain improving the core game asking to much here? Who's working on observer mode? How about adding literally the most basic sPvP mode of Team Death Match? What's going on with WvW improvements? Are you all just giving up on it now that Elder Scrolls Online is slated to do it better than you, largely by improving on the model you've put in place (which they are probably playing right now for research) so you've resigned yourselves to PvE content? I don't even know what to expect for WvW improvements or if I should expect any improvements at all...

Ya know what, I'll just be over here waiting until I hear about improvements to the game I think are interesting, and maybe log back in...come to think of it I haven't logged in since the day Laurels went live...I obtained exactly 1 Laurel and immediately lost interest...even then it'd been a couple days before that I dropped in attendance.

Well, whatever, not like I'm hemorrhaging a sub-fee while I wait for content worth playing! I'll see you Guru folks again next month with my comment on wtf ever they want to add to the game then...though there's a good chance I'll be equally disinterested in it, I'm trying to stay positive.

#9 Dark

Dark

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

No Wvw update mentioned? sounds promising.

#10 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

[quote name='Dark' timestamp='1360198833' post='2159703']
No Wvw update mentioned? sounds promising.

That got an entirely different post.

But of course you already posted on that thread, so you know that already.

#11 Just Horus

Just Horus

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

I really hope there is more to this next update than what is listed. Sad how this went from an expansions worth of content -> substantial additions to the existing world -> HERE ARE SOME SIGN POSTS YOU CAN HAMMER.

Flame and Frost: The Gathering Shitstorm

#12 brokerib

brokerib

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

[quote name='HawkofStorms' timestamp='1360195030' post='2159650']
Yeah this is extremely disappointing.

/snip

There have been two releases for the flame and frost storyline so far, a week apart (the 29th of Jan initial and 4th of Feb update)?  Seems like a fairly reasonable speed to me...

Details:

#13 Tenicord

Tenicord

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

The Flame and Frost content itself is a major joke so far.They should just stick to holiday events and adding new perm content. As of right now, The Flame and Frost is just a waste of their time and a let down to their players.

#14 JulianCasablancas

JulianCasablancas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

[quote name='HawkofStorms' timestamp='1360195030' post='2159650']

QFT. I did not mind the Prelude but the thought of not getting anything exciting for at least another month and a half is pretty disappointing. I don't usually bash ANET (they have their faults but I enjoy the game a lot) but this is pretty sad.

#15 Var

Var

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

[quote name='HawkofStorms' timestamp='1360195030' post='2159650']But a couple NPCs wandering around being the entire content patch for a whole month is pathetic.  To call that a "living story" is very ironic.[/quote]

To be fair there are two other game formats, neither of which have seen much of any love since launch.

This update seems scheduled for one of said other formats and the changes there are rather important even if not large in scope: tossing out the rubbish 8-team paid, adding matchmaking and, hopefully, a ladder system to accompany it, a new map that doesn't have KotH mechanics but rather CTF, and, likely, a sizable balance and fix sheet.

Meanwhile, the PvE side of the game is still getting what can in theory amount to an incredibly large amount of content but we know too little of its scope, the Guild Missions. The daily addition is also still rather sizable from a creators point of view even if the content is rather simplistic on the receiving end. Oh and in an edit: Tying guild events and the F&F would be a cool way to bridge story and gameplay.

Quaggan Slippers?

#16 omar316

omar316

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Nothing ground breaking.

Same crappy sPvP capture the point? No concrete details on a proper ladder and another delay for WvW.

Var, I'll agree with everything you said, but no way I'm going to be sympathetic or forgiving.
Still the only redeeming fact is that its free to play.

These crapdates are starting to be nothing but launch features delayed.

#17 Xenigma

Xenigma

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

This seems small, but then we don't know the full scope of what living story and guild missions will add to the game, so this update could prove to be a lot more substantial than it first appears.  Plus, if last patch taught us anything, it's that we may still see tons of smaller updates/improvements that aren't major enough to be listed in a preview post like this.  They're giving a full twenty days to build hype, so I'm inclined to let them do just that as they inevitably reveal more details about what to expect.

#18 Arewn

Arewn

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

[quote name='omar316' timestamp='1360211603' post='2159798']
Nothing ground breaking.

Still the only redeeming fact is that its free to play.

These crapdates are starting to be nothing but launch features delayed.
Certainly better then paying 15 bucks a month and still dealing with the same thing.

#19 Var

Var

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

[quote name='omar316' timestamp='1360211603' post='2159798']Though the implementation would change things up a bit, they are really just buying time, month long events? Really?

Still the only redeeming fact is that its free to play.[/quote]

The new map doesn't seem to be KotH/CtP like other maps, this seems to be specifically designed to answer the "no other formats" issue while keeping the general frame work of what sPvP has been so far, and that is a point system but not based on KotH/CtP like everything else but CtF. Actually, I'm not even sure how you got CtP from the preview unless it follows WoW's Eye of the Storm battleground but if that is the case then CtP points would be completely minimal to the CtF aspects, otherwise there'd be no real point to the CtF aspect. Portal is going to need to be adjusted or they may as well just delete the damned thing.

If you follow the sPvP community, you'd know that player ranking has already been stealth introduced as has an invisible ladder system to go along with the system to make an overall matchmaking environment in the past week of 1v1 paids. There's actual life in that arrested coma patient and game pops are nigh instant and players have wandered back into the fold. The use of Khylo next is a good following step, and dismissing Capricorn as a map that never happened is another good step.

Once they polish the maps and introduce full map rotation which, looking at the time line, should be about completed by the time this update rolls out, then the 1v1 will be pretty set as a solid base work for a competitive environment. Matchmaking, rankings, and ladders are pretty much already in the game, they are just invisible at the moment.

There are some other restrictions and fixes that need to be made to really fix up the format but this is a great start. Having an update with this in it is anything but bad even if its late.

I don't see why you or any one would need to be sympathetic or forgiving.

[quote name='omar316' timestamp='1360211603' post='2159798']These crapdates are starting to be nothing but launch features delayed.[/quote]

Guild Events is certainly new and, as I said, could be rather substantial even if, in words, they are all of a paragraph.

#20 Craywulf

Craywulf

Legion Commander

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Bunch of cynics. Where do you people get the impression that it's going be more of the same?

[quote]The situation worsens for the citizens of Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau. Volunteers have eased the burden, but more refugees hobble down from the Shiverpeaks. The storm there gains momentum, but the forces of good are beginning to rally. They’re sending their heroes to defend the land and its peoples. Someone must hold back the gathering storm.
In Flame and Frost: The Gathering Storm, the second installment in this four-part series, the stakes are raised, and battles rage, in the foothills of the Shiverpeaks.[/quote]

You're all basing your opinions on a prelude and one paragraph synopsis of next part.  Did you expect them to spoil it by itemizing every aspect the story? None of us know the exact scope of the story, so lets be fair and hold our judgement until AFTER we seen it play out.