Leah Rivera on New Guild Missions

Guild Missions, a new type of mission, has just been revealed by Arenanet. February’s release will include the following mission types:
  • Guild Bounty – Your guild is tasked with tracking down and capturing various targets for the Orders. These people are wanted for a variety of reasons and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to resist arrest!
  • Guild Trek – Think you know Tyria? Well the Tyrian Explorer’s Society has a challenge for you! Find the list of locations before time runs out.
  • Guild Challenge – These challenges leverage our existing event system but are specifically geared to require multi-group, coordinated play to succeed. So gather your guild and see if you’re up to the challenge!
  • Guild Rush – Test your skills with a mad dash over harrowing terrain, traps, and other hidden dangers. Just remember, there’s safety in numbers!
  • Guild Puzzle – It’s a puzzle and a jumping challenge all in one! This mission type requires multi-group coordination as well as individual jumping skills to get to the treasure at the end.

Comments

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for posting this, gonna format it a bit. :)

#2 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

From the look of it the Guild Trek might be a possible event for the smaller sized guilds (smaller than the 10 players the dev mentioned in the previous post on this topic)

• 2047 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Zaishen quest are back, in a way. Lol

#4 Omedon

Omedon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Posttfckmk988, on 21 February 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

That was my thought too... HOWEVER, if the "tricks and traps" are DPS- race fights that are tight to the timer, and full-on take out type traps meant to inexorably thin numbers and dead-stop a smaller group ("safety in numbers"), it could also be the most prohibitive on the small guild front.

Again, yes, external help is possible, but it's an internal influence expenditure.  In a small guild, influence is no small consideration.  I certainly wouldn't spend my guild's influence on "hope we get help..."

Still positive about the feature, I just hope my posse can justify enabling participation! :)
I'm an opinionated son of a gun!  Feel free to visit my blog, "Tales from the Void: Adventures in gaming whilst siezing Saidin"

#5 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

This sounds like it could be fun.  It might get me to start doing more than dailies again.

#6 AsgarZigel

AsgarZigel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Interesting, looks like some of them will be in new maps/places of some kind? (guild puzzles)

#7 Skrobble

Skrobble

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostAsgarZigel, on 21 February 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I believe I read somewhere that they would be taking place on Southsun Cove?

#8 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostOden, on 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

I believe I read somewhere that they would be taking place on Southsun Cove?

Aye, one of the tweets from the lunch with Colin did say that. But based on the video and this blog post that seems like it was an incorrect quote.

#9 AsgarZigel

AsgarZigel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Well at least one of them is taking place on Southsun Cove, according to the video. The statement wasn't very precise, so it was unclear whether they meant "also on southsun cove" or "only on southsun cove".
The question there was probably if they would add more content to the cove.

#10 Volkon

Volkon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

There will be a bunch on Southsun, but they'll be spread all over Tyria and not exclusively to Southsun.

#11 fatality39

fatality39

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

What does everyone think about these guild missions?

#12 Omedon

Omedon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postfatality39, on 21 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

What does everyone think about these guild missions?

I'm reserving opinion until I know whether or not my "5 online on a good day" guild is intended to complete the lower end bounties on our own power.  That's all I'm asking: low end, one category.

If not, I'll be severely disappointed in the subtext of that decision as it relates to the intended role of "the guild" in GW2.

Generally, whether it fits my guild or not, variety is good, and I applaud the effort behind this feature.

#13 Vancext

Vancext

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

These seem really cool, although I hope they are accessible to smaller guilds. I also wish they would add more end-game solo or 2-3 player group content.

It seems like everything end game is forcing you into larger and larger groups of players -- I still spend the majority of my playtime solo, with my girlfriend, or with one or two other close friends. I wish some (by no means all) PVE end game content accommodated that experience in a challenging way, beyond just overworld roaming.

#14 Auenwing

Auenwing

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postfatality39, on 21 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

What does everyone think about these guild missions?

Trying to reserve opinion as well. Not optimistic though.

Looks like ANet just added some much awaited content which we will probably not be able to accomplish with our small guild.

I'm aware that ANet believes these "guild sponsored" events will become a recruiting tool.

We are not looking to recruit. We enjoy our small guild.

We were hoping for more content that we could enjoy. As a small guild.

Will probably attempt 2 out of the list. Realistically, it looks like only one is viable content for us.

#15 Chronos12360

Chronos12360

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

To Ome and Van, the reason for the push toward larger group content of challenge is because that is exactly what everyone has been asking for since the first 80s began farming Orr. I agree that there should be something, but the dev needs to not cater to everyone all of the time; HOWEVER if the bounties/challenges are indeed the GW2 version of psuedo-raid then I'm not sure they should've called it Guild Bounty and Guild Challenge. I can totally see that it will get confusing as to the intent as both of you mentioned what happens to the smaller guilds when they want to do the very challenges that are labeled Guild specific. Time will tell I suppose, but I am personally very excited. 10man+ content which actually takes coordination is definitely near the top of things that needed to be added to reinvigorate the game and it's playerbase

PS My current guild is small as hell also, if this turns out to be what I hope I guess I'm gonna have to convince people to recruit or join other guilds /sigh

#16 Hyper Hypno Hustler

Hyper Hypno Hustler

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

It's really starting feel like Anet is just adding in more of the same open world content under a different name.  All the descriptions sound like the same content I've been uninterested in or outright avoided.  I think I turned into a WvW player without realizing it.

Also, I'm not sure why guild merit is a thing when influence already lets people buy upgrades.  I know that splitting currency and upgrades is different from having them all draw on the same resources, but it still just seems very asinine to me at the moment.

#17 Paken Kai

Paken Kai

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Well, I hope my 4-man guild will be around when one of these are activated, as they sound like fun. But there's no way we'd be spending the influence to activate them ourselves.

#18 Auenwing

Auenwing

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostChronos12360, on 21 February 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Would love to have more outdoor raid content. Love large community events that require strategy and coordination. If that is the direction this had actually taken, I'd be more excited.

However, I'm starting to get concerned that when adding content, ANet seems to be heading in the direction of arcade style gaming with timers and Mario - Frogger style jump puzzles. I'm sure there's a large audience out there that enjoys that. Not everyone does.

That more than anything is a small nagging concern when I think about longevity for my guild in this game.

/ponder

• 2047 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

The chicken races making me laugh and giggle to much. Lol

Like this video, Lol

#20 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I got a chuckle from the chicken races too.

Hopefully this content will address the requests for larger-scale/number content for the bigger guilds.   I don't think it was really focused on smaller guilds but who knows how it will work out.    I think putting large group content out in the open world is much better than separating it into instances.