Designing the Living World

Arenanet's Leif Chapelle just posted an article on the official blog. He provides us with some insights about how Arenanet designed the living story and world, and outlines the plans for the future of the living story.

In the coming months, you may see the Living World story play out from any number of approaches: activities, dungeons, crafting, or others. You’ll see more holidays along the lines of Wintersday and Halloween, but even those sorts of events have an overall continuity. When Mad King Thorn blew up the lion statue in Lion’s Arch, that actually happened and it took time to repair. Tixx’s inventions live on in the enthusiasm of refugee Malia and her best friend Rex Splinterstorm. We’re all living the events of a present-day Tyria, and everything matters. Every few weeks, you’ll want to know what happens next, and we’re happy to oblige.

Comments

#1 heatrr

heatrr

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Despite the moans to the contrary, I like the progression and integration into the overall game thus far, imho.
Look forward to the release of further content.
  • 3

#2 jimmie51

jimmie51

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I agree. I think most of the moans are coming from people who have the old "instant gratification" mindset and can't wait for things to develop. I understand the not wanting to wait and when you blast through the content they give you in 2-3 hours you then have to wait for the next patch. It reminds me of mid-season season finale for tv shows they are doing now. It frustrates the hell out of me but yet I feel so rewarded when they show finally kicks up again. This is how I have been looking at the new story lines.

In short I like it and keep it up. I wouldn't mind more substantial updates though. If all of were like this last one I really wouldn't have anything to complain about.
  • 0

#3 Raagar Deathclaw

Raagar Deathclaw

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

I agree, it seems like people are always whining about how they don't have object X RIGHT NOW overall i've enjoyed the living story updates and the fact that I don't have to spend all my game time just getting through new content, but that I can do the new content then go back to something else i'm working on
  • 0

#4 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Interesting insights in the workings and thinkings of the Living Story.

I for one like it and can't wait for it to evolve even more.
  • 0

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

[quote name='heatrr' timestamp='1364413652' post='2184848']
Look forward to the release of further content.

Agreed, it may not be a lot in terms of direct content, but the updates so far are worth a good 50 hours or more, which is amazing as free support.

Also, forgive me Mr.Chapelle, I accidentally labeled you as a female! Has been fixed.
  • 0

• 2099 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

They cited the lion statue in Lion's Arch being blown up and being rebuilded, i do like it but i want more big perment changes like the light house not being fixed from Karka event stuff like that but thats just my personal opinion.
  • 1

#7 ThiaTheMuse

ThiaTheMuse

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

I think this is a good first step. I really enjoy the Living Story so far.
  • 0

#8 Kairo

Kairo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

The living story is an awesome idea for an MMO. There needs to be worthwhile characters introduced, though. Doesn't work well if no one cares about the stories presented or the characters involved.

It's a great opportunity to come up with intriguing or just fun side stories to further flesh out Tyria. (As long as its not always super light hearted and covers a broad range of themes, moods, and atmosphere)
  • 0

#9 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

• Site Contributors

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]1) Who's the artist responsible for the beautiful paintings of wintersday/cove now we are seeing again for Living World etc [/size][/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]2)[/size][/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3][quote][color=#000000]One of the key bits of feedback we’ve received while working on developing the Living World story, is that all these golden stars are a bit much to take in.[/color][/quote]
You can solve the problem, which you already did, of map markers by putting them all in a letter, like you did recently with "Dead Drop Location" only don't tell us directly where it is, give us clue, like, off the top of my head, Scholar Brogun study grawl here, (tie in with the event, you get the item completing the event as an extra) or its hidden beside Jora Statue carved by Eir Stegalskin (so you got to know which statue of Jora is carved by Eir. Or it can be: Speak to Erica and Almarr about it - they protect the Shrine to Jora, so if we help them defend it, we get the item from them, although on normal days they don't have it, but, on special occasion like when something is hidden near the shrine, they, logically would have it, because they protect the shrine, etc, make use and grow what you have.

It is also a nice touch with the "Eavesdropper" keep up the good work! Which brings me to the "hearts" on maps. we could be surrounded by "cupid" or something, when we are near npc we've helped. Sometimes, they may grow out of love with us, bear with me, now that I've reach a point where I no longer have to worry about hearts, I find that its not so logical since sometimes ppl do grew tired of you or they want something else, so we have to "rekindle" this fire by doing something else for them. Living World it does not stop.[/size][/font]

[font="lucida sans unicode, lucida grande, sans-serif"][size=3]Please don't forget to add new free bank tabs for different "currencies" all the dungeon tokens needs to be store somewhere....[/size][/font]
  • 0

#10 Illein

Illein

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

"[color=#000000][font=CronosPro, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Through the course of 2013, the concept of these Living World releases will grow in scope and grandeur as we move ahead and build up the [b]groundwork [/b]to make this a key component of the developing and ever-changing world of [/size][/font][/color][i]Guild Wars 2[/i][color=#000000][font=CronosPro, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=CronosPro, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]*RIPS HIS HAIR OUT* GNARGH. It seems some pesky PR devil has come up with this new method of continuing the trend of labelling everything groundwork/foundation now to fall back upon, should things don't turn out as envisioned...[/size][/font][/color]

I like the idea of actual dungeons being influenced by on-going story lines of the world, but I do hope on the other hand that they'll not introduce a new Flame and Frost dungeon, because I am just not sure if I'd like yet another Dredge/Flame Charr Dungeon instead of something a bit more refreshing.
  • 0

#11 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

But it IS groundwork. What else should they call it?
It is a foundation that they can (and most likely will) use in the coming months/years, it is the very definition of groundwork.
  • 0

#12 Menehune

Menehune

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I liiiiike it! Uh huh! Uh huh! Especially the replayability aspect. I went through the Braham and Rox arcs on my asura engineer and I can see some nice quasi-RP possibilities with my norn ranger and charr warrior. Have to see how it goes, but I may take a couple if not all of my remaining characters though before this story arc ends.

If this is "just" the groundwork, it looks like future story arcs could very well be richer and more detailed. ArenaNet seems to have incorporated lessons learned from past one-time events. Very much looking forward to how the Living Story will progress and Tyria continues to evolve.
  • 0