Colin Johanson on Fractals and Fractal updates

Colin Johanson made some posts on the official forums regarding the Fractal of the Mists dungeon and upcoming updates. He outlines how Fractals fill the historical role within GW2, and compares it to the Bonus Mission Pack from Guild Wars 1. He also continues to outline that any future Fractal updates will also update the reward system surrounding it.

We feel like our fractals dungeon is the perfect fit for this kind of “historical” experience, similar to the way the BMP worked in Gw1. Even better, it already exists and has explanations behind why these slices of time are available to discover and experience within.
In the future, you’ll see certain types of content that was part of larger story experiences be updated to work within the fractals dungeon and return there where it makes sense to do so.

Of course, the specific rewards and achievements will not return since those are intended to be completed as the story unfolds, but the content itself will be used to expand out our fractals experience and serve as a place to continue to experience great (and strange) moments in history.

Any updates to the fractals will need to include additional update to the reward systems as well, agreed.

As for the jet pack, those specific rewards are intended as limited rewards you can only earn during that time, thus making them valuable. It wouldn’t be fair to the people who did earn jet packs for us to bring them back, and suddenly undercut their value entirely.

And yeah that F&F dungeon updated for size would make a good fractal wouldn’t it?

Comments

#1 Bohya

Bohya

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'd like to see more Fractal dungeons devoted to expanding the lore of the Guild Wars universe. Especially in the 200 year setting between the first game and the last. The bonus mission packs were absolutely brilliant, and the current Fractal dungeons are utter crap.

#2 madmaxII

madmaxII

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

ETA? Oh, wait, of course there is none.

#3 Illein

Illein

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

The fact that he refers to the Jetpack as something that could be "earned", while it basically was hardly a realistic chance to drop for you, even if you farmed it - kinda riles me up, to be honest.

I am not sure either what updating "to the new reward system" would mean. As there is nothing rewarding at the moment about any system implented that has to do with rewards as far as I am concerned.

I never noticed that the Fractals had any kind of lore explanation behind them though, someone care to elaborate?

#4 Katsumi Kei

Katsumi Kei

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

[quote name='Bohya' timestamp='1371593464' post='2212206']

Bullshit. Utter and totall bs. The Fractals of the mists is the best dungeon ingame and it has little pieces of story tied to it if you are interested to look for them.

[quote name='Illein' timestamp='1371619248' post='2212257']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-N_0CHYJ20[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThts0REOvI[/media]

#5 KratosAngel

KratosAngel

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Ho god, I was thinking : "ok, they HAVE to release the LFG now if they don't want to break their promises so it will probably be a pve oriented update".
From that, I thought about :
- End of culling in PvE (which I personally don't really care about honestly) : nop, will be for the 2d half 2013.
- Fractal revamp (hoping so much for this) : nop, will be so much later :(
- Revamp to classic dungeons/ Dynamic Events : apparently, will be later too

This incoming update will probably so disappointing again ...

#6 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

[quote name='KratosAngel' timestamp='1371629045' post='2212276']

You do know that the second half of 2013 starts in about 12 days, right? ^^
  • 1

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

[quote name='KratosAngel' timestamp='1371629045' post='2212276']
From that, I thought about :
- Fractal revamp (hoping so much for this) : nop, will be so much later :(
- Revamp to classic dungeons/ Dynamic Events : apparently, will be later too

This incoming update will probably so disappointing again ...

We are going to hear more about the next big update tomorrow. This is a plan, not an update.

#8 escada_assassin

escada_assassin

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1371629412' post='2212277']
You do know that the second half of 2013 starts in about 12 days, right? ^^

You do know they probably won't put an end to culling in PvE in EXACTLY 12 days, right? ^^ Or do you know something we don't? It could be in 12 days (I could bet it won't happen) or it could be in the next 5 months and a half. As far as I'm concerned, I don't believe a word they say and I don't take anything they say literally. I will wait and see what they actually DO in game.

#9 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

[quote name='escada_assassin' timestamp='1371632833' post='2212285']

Of course.
I simply pointed out that the second half of 2013 is not really that far away.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

[quote name='escada_assassin' timestamp='1371632833' post='2212285']

All that we know right now is that information of the next big update is coming tomorrow.

#11 Andemius

Andemius

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Please add a Battle For Lion's Arch fractal :)
  • 2

#12 Phadde

Phadde

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

[quote name='KratosAngel' timestamp='1371629045' post='2212276']
From that, I thought about :
- Fractal revamp (hoping so much for this) : nop, will be so much later :(
- Revamp to classic dungeons/ Dynamic Events : apparently, will be later too

This incoming update will probably so disappointing again ...

Don't have such high expectations. Look at in which pace they've delivered new content - Everything won't be delivered in one patch, we'll have to be patient.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

[quote name='Andemius' timestamp='1371658006' post='2212356']
Please add a Battle For Lion's Arch fractal :)

Seconded, and whilst we're at it, they should add the flame and frost dungeon back. That one was REALLY enjoyable!

#14 Phadde

Phadde

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Does this mean more Fractals? With rewards good enough that people will feel that there is an actual meaning of doing Fractals? (If you didn't already). We're in dire need of things like those.

I'm in my countries biggest guild and the only thing that keeps us alive is another MMO that people have jumped over to while eagerly waiting for a better Endgame. We used to do Guildruns only, no matter what Dungeon Path and there was always more going on simultaneously.

Now it's hard to find 1 or 2 people to come. And this is the same in every other guild that I've looked at.
  • 1

#15 Ixl Ra Ixl

Ixl Ra Ixl

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Wouldn't it be awesome if they'd add content from before the guildwars 1 storyline?
As in adding content of the actual Guild Wars or the making of the portals to the Hall of Heroes?

#16 Illein

Illein

• 2039 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

[quote name='Katsumi Kei' timestamp='1371626888' post='2212271']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-N_0CHYJ20[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThts0REOvI[/media]

Thanks for providing those :)