Yes, that's right. World Experience is finally getting the highly demanded account-wide treatment. Devon Carver explains that this change reflects the recent trend of tweaks the World Vs World format has been receiving these past few months, and especially since the inception of World Ranks at the beginning of the year. Players will now have all of their world xp retroactively dumped into a single pool that grants ability points across every character. This means that you can focus your points in arrow mastery on your thief while keeping your elementalist a catapult expert. Every character will have access to these points after the change goes live. While this is not being implemented immediately, it's currently being tested on their public Edge of the Mists server, so it shouldn't be too long before the live game sees this.

Also, as a friendly reminder, the final week of the first World Vs World season begins this Friday, which means the absolute last day to make progress towards your meta achievement would be December the 6th. See you all on the battlefield!

[source]

Comments

#1 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

This makes me [i]so[/i] happy.

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

#2 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

oh wow. Who decided to make them character-bound in the first place i wonder.

• 2048 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

[quote name='I'm Squirrel' timestamp='1385613241' post='2265404']
oh wow. Who decided to make them character-bound in the first place i wonder.
[/quote]Be glad that it is here and being implemented not still character based, i dont mind either way character or account based.

#4 Khrushchev

Khrushchev

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

I'm both happy that they're changing it and disappointed they can go back on their word so blatantly.
[size=4]"[color=#000000][font=CronosPro, 'Courier New', Georgia, serif]We will not be changing WvW ranks or WxP to be account bound." -Devon Carver[/font][/color][/size]
[url="https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Got-a-reply-to-account-bound-WvW-level/page/2#post2641483"]https://forum-en.gui...e/2#post2641483[/url]

• 2048 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

[quote name='Khrushchev' timestamp='1385616779' post='2265434']
[/quote]Things change even going back on your words. Well, do you want them to not go against their words, people and companies aren't infallible.

#6 Khrushchev

Khrushchev

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

[quote name='Azure Skye' timestamp='1385617177' post='2265440']
Like I said, I'm glad the change was made. I just wish they would not completely dismiss alternatives. In this case, he said, without any shred of doubt, they would not be changing this. Now, the very same person is saying the exact opposite. I'm just wondering what had to change to go from "No, absolutely not." to "Of course, it is going to happen."

Opening doors you bolted shut is an easy way to get people to not take you seriously.

#7 Arava

Arava

Armor Addict

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

This makes my day!!!!
I am really happy about that change :)
Thanks anet!!!

#8 Miragee

Miragee

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Finally the feeling that my Toons all feel similarly useful in WvW. ;)

#9 Illein

Illein

• 2037 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

Oh that's great news. I hated the implementation of this character bound WXP crap from the very get go - I am actually surprised they decided against their previous model as Devon Carver seemed VERY adamant of keeping it the way it was.

I am very relieved though that they have picked the best imaginable way to do it as well. Pool ALL levels you had and let your characters still contribute them individually. That's as much as I hoped for and not necessarily a given - they could have aligned every character of yours to the level of your highest character, which would have sucked for a lot of people as well as that whole circumstance ended them up with a lot of low level wxp rankers.

But that way, superb. It seems they are really keen of announcing the stuff people want now all of a sudden. New releases breathing down their neck finally shows an effect? :)

#10 Darkobra

Darkobra

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

[quote name='Khrushchev' timestamp='1385617407' post='2265443']

Money. A lot of new games out there doing the same, only better. If they want to stay competitive, they need to listen to what little fanbase they haven't alienated.

Now they're actually starting to understand what their community have been telling them.

#11 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have been very outspoken against this change before this. Simply because I was under the impression that they couldn't have it account-bound and still have character specific specs. Which also might explain why they were always against the idea of making it account-bound.

But it seems like they can that now, so I am very much in support of this change.

#12 Sheepski

Sheepski

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Like others have said; it's a long needed and welcome change, but it simply shows how easy they can go back on their adamant, definite word. So how long until they do the same and introduce another gear tier or something? I may be exaggerating or being rather facetious but who knows what Anet are going to do next.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!

#13 Karuro

Karuro

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

Is it dye's turn yet?

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

[quote name='Karuro' timestamp='1385629509' post='2265491']
Is it dye's turn yet?

We can only hope.  It would not be difficult to implement, if they still have a beta #1 or beta #2 build lying around they'd just have to port the code over.

#15 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

[quote name='Sheepski' timestamp='1385628638' post='2265488']

Well it is after all fully possible that they weren't ABLE to have account-bound ranks but character-bound points until now. Which would have made it quite logical to say: "No this will not happen", but since they are a software company they do constantly try to evolve and develop new stuff, so suddenly being able to do something like that is not really that impossible.

Things change. Would you rather they refused to go back on anything they said if it turns out that going back on it would be better for the game as a whole?

#16 Khrushchev

Khrushchev

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

[quote name='Lordkrall' timestamp='1385630317' post='2265500']

Well I've explained it twice in this thread already, I suppose third time's a charm.
Nobody here is arguing that good changes are not good. We enjoy good changes. Changes that are good, are good changes that we think are good.

We dislike it when lines are drawn in the sand, and then a week, a month, however long later, they decide, "Oh, this isn't where we meant for that line to be, we'll just move it and make a new line."

To make my point, I am going to make a completely unreasonable and over the top example. I am the president, CEO, CFO, and lead designer for Sunning and Tanning Ad Nauseam,  SATAN[sup][size=1]TM [/size][/sup] if you will. SATAN[sup][size=1]TM  [/size][/sup]is a company that sends commercial flights to Mars for the finest uninterrupted sunning and tanning this side of the solar system. Now, my company has not yet discovered a way to safely send people to Mercury (which is closer to the sun). Clearly being closer to the sun would provide for a more vibrant tan, and it is further away from Earth, as to provide less distractions.
As a businessman (remember, I am the president, CEO, CFO, and lead designer) should I say that:
1) We are never going to expand our sunning and tanning empire to Mercury.
or
2) We are looking into expanding our sunning and tanning empire to Mercury, but do not currently have the technology to do so.

Now in either case, I do end up expanding my empire to include Mercury, but one of them leaves the opportunity to make innovations without going back on my word, causing me to lose credibility. I'll let you figure out which one that is.

Edit: I hate when I use a lettered list and a B followed by a ) becomes B).

#17 KratosAngel

KratosAngel

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Wow, that's really good news !
This is incredibly good since it does not remove you anthing, you don't have any drawback, only advantages from both systems :
- Add all WXP to account XP : very good
- Play any character you want without grinding again from scratch = very very good
- Still keep the benefits from soulbound : build any char the way you like.

Just awesome change, 10/10 :)

#18 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

I see what you mean, but this isn't really something unusual.
There might always be changes to the technology they have available.
Back when they stated that it will not happen, it is fully possible that they really thought that they would be unable to make it work, but then suddenly they found out that they might be able to fix it due to new information or knowledge.

There is a reason why it is not being made available right now, but rather awaits the release of the new map (which is most likely not until Spring 2014 at the earliest). If it were already done they would most likely just have added it with the update on the 10th, together with the Balance Patch rather than wait for half a year.

This happens all the time in development. Just last year Turbine told us that it would be impossible to use Character Copy for Bullroarer (Beta-server) from both (former)EU-servers and NA-servers at the same time.
And yet with the newest beta it was suddenly fully possible.

And sure they can say: "We don't currently have the technology to do this", but that will just lead to people spamming them about not spending their money on getting that super-mega-important technology to do said things.

#19 KratosAngel

KratosAngel

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Also, I don't think  changing their mind in this case would cause a problem of trusting.
On the opposite, they have shown that they have listened to players, they have thought about it and taken into consideration that.
It can only be a good thing that they show they're listening to players' feedback.

#20 Illein

Illein

• 2037 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

As seems to be your thing, Lordkrall - I fear you're being a bit of an apologist here.

Not a single ANet Member as far as I can remember has ever stated that it'd be a technological impossibility to make WXP account-wide. They simply (or Devon Carver, rather) said that they will not change it, because of their intent of individual character progression.

It was a dumb reason 9(!) months ago when people first, rightfully complained about this and it's still a dumb reason, but now at least it's none that they cling onto for much longer, thankfully so.

And your theory on why it won't be available immediately (as they did with every other feature or change they announced, right? Right?) is hitting into the same curb. I'd be damn surprised if this was a technical obstacle that they had to suffer from, but put many many work hours into despite saying 'it's not gonna happen' just to surprise us now that they've overcome it!

That's a bit too much, to ask me to swallow it. What's more likely? That they did the above or that they simply buckle to the pressure of this being a very very long-standing issue with a wide portion of the player base because A) WvW might not do so well or B) the game isn't doing so well (more likely)?