Rate Article   * * * - - 2 votes

Taken from today's Guild Wars 2 e-mail:

For the entire month of December, gems you purchase in Guild Wars 2 count towards exclusive in-game rewards!

Purchase 800 gems during the month of December to receive an exclusive Green Quaggan Backpack, or purchase at least 4,000 gems to receive an exclusive Green Quaggan Backpack and a Mini Mr. Sparkles!

Your rewards will be based on gems purchases and gem code redemptions between 12:01 AM December 1 and 11:59 PM December 31 PST. In early January, you'll receive the gifts you unlocked!

With so many fashionable items and convenient upgrades available in the Gem Store, there's never been a better time to own gems-don't miss out on these special Black Lion Wintersday rewards!

Comments

#1 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this. [i]I guess[/i] it's nice to open up Mr. Sparkles for people who couldn't attend the special events, but it feels a little...grabby.

But hey, it is [i]just[/i] a mini pet and a back piece

On a semi-related note, does this mean we'll start seeing green quaggans in game now? ^^

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

It's a smart promotion.  As long as they're aesthetic items, I could not care less, although, as Neo Nugget said, it is a bit grabby.  I also have strange feeling that this topic will become the center of negative attention very soon...

• 2048 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

[quote name='Neo Nugget' timestamp='1386015082' post='2266688']
[/quote]But they done this before not this hight, the Dragon Bash Minis, the kite and i dont know what else. Its nothing new to us but people wanted the Mini so bad and whined and screamed because it was only given out at PAX, making prestigious and exclusive for the people that got to go there.

Is this accumulation or the person that bought all of that gems of 4000 at once?

#4 El Duderino

El Duderino

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Honestly, what is the point of playing the game anymore? You can't even get these things by converting gold to gems, you can only get them by pulling out the credit card!

I know there are people that think there is no such thing as being able to Pay to Win in PvE, but if there was, this would be pretty darn close.

#5 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Heheh good i don`t give a damn for minis or backpacks but honestly this is just milkin` cash out of people love it hate it, it`s just that and it feels sad.I don`t mind giving cash for something i love but this is just.....ahhh one of those kiddy stuff totally useless "hey look what i got" kind of items !

#6 El Duderino

El Duderino

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

[quote name='Alex Dimitri' timestamp='1386019640' post='2266703']

I just don't understand why the exclusive stuff can't be saved for people that actually do something awesome in game to deserve it instead of any old schmo that has enough money to buy it. It is just shameless.

• 2048 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

[quote name='El Duderino' timestamp='1386017516' post='2266700']

[/quote]Even these mini aren't pay to win. Where do you get this ludicrous idea from? These aren't BiS weapons at all. Its a god damn mini for yelling at loud.

#8 El Duderino

El Duderino

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

[quote name='Azure Skye' timestamp='1386020223' post='2266709']

Why is ludicrous? Because you don't agree? I'm sorry, but that is not a reasonable argument.

But, I will say it again, because I tried to say it as gently as possible the first time. Some people think that there can never be "wins" in PvE. That's fine. However, there are some that will agree getting "stuff" is winning in PvE, since that is what most people do. Having the rarest and most exclusive stuff is a particular goal. Therefore, if the only way to get that stuff is to actually pay for it, there are some people that would liken that to "paying" to "win".

You don't have to agree, but it isn't ludicrous.

• 2048 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

[quote name='El Duderino' timestamp='1386020948' post='2266712']

You don't have to agree, but it isn't ludicrous.
[/quote]The definition of pay to win is that, its having stat advantage over someone without playing the game. In this situation, Its people that have more money or disposable income then you like in real life, will buy things that you can't get. I dont know, like a really big flat screen tv.

I think the people are mad because the limit is to high and they dont know if it is accumulation of gems or one big purchase of gems of that amount.

#10 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Honestly I went for this. I don't feel it as grabby because you get them for free if you buy 4000 gems and since it's holiday season plus today's Black Friday's sale there are plenty of places I could spend and still save the rest for 2 more patches (with 2 more possible gem store promotions). ANd on top of that I get a free backpack and a mini.

Don't forget that ANet might gift the new mini-package set if you bought any gems so you do actually get a lot of free gifts by supporting them. (source:data mining)

#11 Specialz

Specialz

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

It's gonna feel grabby or to some people that apparently don't know what pay 2 win actually means, bad.

To other people it would be a promotion like how other games have, but I am sure the p2win will ultimately prevail.

#12 leongrado

leongrado

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm going to be really OP once I get this backpack and mini in my arsonal. Such style.

#13 El Duderino

El Duderino

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

[quote name='Azure Skye' timestamp='1386021635' post='2266715']

Like I said, I realize people don't believe there is any way to win in PvE. Your definition is a nice definition, but it's yours, not something that you will find as a definitive definition from a reliable source.

To me, it has nothing to do with the cost, it has to do with exclusive content being made for sale rather than earned by playing. It is sad really.

• 2048 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

[quote name='El Duderino' timestamp='1386023528' post='2266730']

[/quote] Well, it wasn't made for sale/given at all till all of the people wanted, whined and screamed one because it was made and given for PAX  and they couldn't go or was sold out.

We can all agree the bar is to damn hight to get it.

#15 typographie

typographie

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

[quote name='El Duderino' timestamp='1386020948' post='2266712']You don't have to agree, but it isn't ludicrous.[/quote]

If buying this mini with cash is "paying to win," was obtaining it at PAX "showing up at PAX to win?"

I understand what you're saying. I do think its a tad extreme. Yes, I would be very uncomfortable with buying outright the end goal of a game, but who gets to say what could or should have been a PvE reward if it never was to start with? Sorry to resort to a slippery-slope argument, but by this logic is [i]anything[/i] acceptable for the gem store? Any given item could have been a PvE reward instead.

I happen to think its a monumentally stupid way to spend your money, but unless this mini was an actual end game reward, this isn't pay to win.

#16 Cube

Cube

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

So... 50 Euro for a minipet? ^^ And a super ugly green backpack?

Lucky for me I don't want either so I couldn't care less, but I'm going to be honest and say I don't like it. In my opinion a minipet should be NO MORE than 800 gems. 50 Euro for a viritual item I honestly find crazy...

Oh well, it doesn't matter cause it's cosmetics and not p2w.

#17 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Now that I think about it, back when the Mr. Sparkles codes were first getting distributed they were going for crazy amounts on Ebay just for the code alone. At least this way you're actually able to get some other stuff out of it.

#18 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Interesting promotion, don't really see much of the issue with it tbh.
Funnily enough we can now see people complaining about Mr Sparkles being available only at con complaining about Mr Sparkles being available this way. This is probably the best compromise they could make. It is available for "everyone" but it is still some exclusivity since you need to pay quite a bit for it.

Might get it if I get some extra money available, since I can always use the gems anyway (which is after all what you are paying for, the back and mini are just extras).

#19 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I can't see the issue with this.  If they just PUT these items in the gem store, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But now you get them from the gem store (in a roundabout way), but still get to use the gems for something else.  I think it sucks a bit if the mini was a PAX reward that they caved and gave out to everyone.  LOTS of game companies give exclusives to people that attend conventions like this.  This is not new.

Not that I have any interest in silly backpacks or minis (not enough to pay for them at least).  But there are those that do, and I'm happy for them that ANet is giving them things they like. :)

I also understand El Duderino's point.  GW2 is supposedly about cosmetics.  So cosmetic items are the "winning" of the game.  However there are PLENTY of in game items you can only get by playing.  Like Legendaries (assuming you didn't go the gems for gold route to buy one--which would be crazy, given what it would cost).  The fact is, ANet needs to make money on the gem store.  It's their source of income.  You can argue the means by which they go about it, what items they put in, but I don't think you can criticize the basic idea of trying to make money on the gemstore, as most everyone should know going into the game that it follows a micro transaction model.

#20 typographie

typographie

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

[quote name='Cube' timestamp='1386024510' post='2266751']So... 50 Euro for a minipet? ^^ And a super ugly green backpack?

Oh well, it doesn't matter cause it's cosmetics and not p2w.[/quote]

If I understand correctly the mini is an extra you get for buying 4000 gems; you're then free to spend them as you want. It doesn't technically "cost" those 4000 gems.