Arenanet has just posted the update page for the December 10th update.  It appears to be a repeat of last year's Wintersday story, revolving around Toymaker Tixx and his travelling factory of toys for all in Tyria.  New healing skills and a major balance update also join this patch at launch.  You can find the page here.

EVENTS
  • THE WONDROUS WORKSHOP - Enter Toymaker Tixx’s workshop inside his golem-shaped airship, the Infinirarium, to corral mischievous toys and set things to rights!
  • WINTER WONDERLAND - The multi-path Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle is full of beautiful delights and death-defying challenges! Leap from snowflake to snowflake, prance up a stack of gifts, and race giant snowballs on your way to the prize!
  • BELL CHOIR - Make sweet music ring through the air with Tyria’s favorite musical challenge, the Bell Choir! Group up with other players to make sweet harmonies and ring in the season.
  • TOYPOCALYPSE - Toys are running amok and threatening everyone’s Wintersday! Enter Toypocalypse to defend noble, gift-bearing dolyaks and Tixx’s toymaking machine from the predations of haywire toys!
  • SNOWBALL MAYHEM - What good is Wintersday without the opportunity to pelt friends, foes, and total strangers in the face with snowballs? The Snowball Mayhem fight will pitch you against other players in a mission to store up as many presents as possible while laying waste to the opposing team!
  • LINGERING POISON - You may have found a way into the Toxic Alliance’s inner sanctum, but this has by no means curtailed their nefarious activities! Kessex Hills and the surrounding countryside are still befouled by the alliance’s evil presence!
FEATURES
  • CRAFT ASCENDED ARMOR - The Armorsmith, Leatherworker, and Tailor crafting disciplines have a new skill cap of 500, which means that you can now craft your own Ascended armor! Refine, stitch, and hammer your way to 500 to become a Grandmaster Crafter and unlock the ability to craft Ascended armor!
  • NEW HEALING SKILLS - Still trying to find just the right healing skill for your build?  Perhaps this will help – we’re introducing a new healing skill for every profession!
  • DECEMBER 10 BALANCE UPDATE - Are you looking to fine-tune your build, or maybe hoping to try out something new entirely? Our next balance update is coming, and its focus is on improving traits and trait lines. You can read about incoming changes here.
REWARDS
  • TIXX'S TOYBOX - Tixx’s marvelous miniature toys are available once again! Complete the Wintersday meta achievement to receive Tixx’s Toybox, which will grant you one of Tixx’s toys: a Mini Ventari, Mini Plush Griffon, Mini Princess Doll, Mini Toy Golem, or Mini Toy Soldier.

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Comments

#1 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Rather big update it seems.

And they decided to play it safe and go with the same content as last year (most likely to compare the reactions from Halloween (new stuff) and Wintersday).

Time to get crafting it seems.

#2 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Ascended armors here we come. Let the prices ARISE!

#3 El Duderino

El Duderino

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

Wintersday is always a fantastic time for Tyria. I hope it is the same this year. My only hope would be that the healing skills are less "whack a mole" healing skills and more buff/protection skills as they those skills tend to lead to more interesting game play.

Otherwise, Happy Wintersday! I hope everyone enjoys it.

#4 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

I liked Wintersday last year...really did not seem high pressure...hopefully the same way this year. I only have a few very minor disappointments.

1. We needed the ghost of Scrappy Jim in LA.
2. Secret Lair of the Snowmen(FTW)
3. They have added a Grenth Hood...so let's get a Grenth appearance...that would draw Dwayna out as well...

Nothing too big(except maybe Lair)...otherwise I'm looking forward to it...:)

#5 Miragee

Miragee

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

The update has, like Halloween, much content in it. And that's good. I don't mind holiday events staying largely the same each year. I liked it in GW and I like it in GW2. New Healing skills is finally something together with the Balance Change but in the end it won't change much in combat approach.

Ascended Armor...still extremly meh. But well, it's the last piece of the puzzle so it will be intersting to see if, when and how they will continue the vertical progression from now on.

#6 master21

master21

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I knew it that they add ascended armors in this patch. Let the farming mats begins.
New healing skill for every profession? Nice, it could be usefull. Maybe at last some heal on elem (instead of those "heals")

#7 Cube

Cube

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Brace yourself, ascended armour is coming :(

#8 Katsumi Kei

Katsumi Kei

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

I knew the patch was announced. I opened the trade post tab and saw all the prices going rochet high. Now i know why. :)

#9 Nilerax

Nilerax

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

First time in months I am a bit more intrigued to check out this patch!

I am not much of a fan of the Winterday, however, I plan to check it out more thoroughly this time. Mainly because I have the time and the ascended gear looks promising. I think it was about time more armours were added, dispite the looks. Perhaps I might set a long term goal to get my Ele or Mesmer in full Ascended. :) Hmm time to start farming!

Oh and merry wintersday everyone! :) (In advance)

#10 Echou

Echou

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Oh the flow of money. It is glorious!

#11 kalendraf

kalendraf

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

We had strong hints that ascended armor crafting would be added before the end of the year, so it's not a big surprise to see them included.

I just hope that the earlier preview skins for ascended armors were just place-holders.  Those skins were very underwhelming.

#12 Save 4 Less

Save 4 Less

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm probably just going to end up selling all the stacks of Gossamer + Orichalum I have because I play too many alt characters.

Plus I don't want to buy more Transmutation Crystals.

#13 Atticus

Atticus

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

[quote name='kalendraf' timestamp='1386173356' post='2267582']

Yea, still doesn't make for a pleasant surprise regardless and I couldn't agree more, those armor skins are outright ugly sooo yea...

#14 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

NEW HEALING SKILLS
Still trying to find just the right healing skill for your build? Perhaps this will help – we’re introducing a new healing skill for every profession!

This is the best update since Beta Weekend Event #3!(Hunger Royale)

EDIT:

Just realized this most likely means only 1 added healing skill.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

[quote name='I'm Squirrel' timestamp='1386176725' post='2267618']
This is the best update since Beta Weekend Event #3!(Hunger Royale)

I do hope it's different from the current ones for each profession.  We don't need more "click here for health" skills.

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

It doesn't matter if the ascended armor is ugly as most people, myself included, will probably transmute. I like my tier 3 asura armor and don't think there is anything that will make me want to wear anything else.

#17 konsta_hoptrop

konsta_hoptrop

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

[quote name='kalendraf' timestamp='1386173356' post='2267582']

[/quote] as u can see medium armor is the same skin.. so my hopes for better skins are gone. Buttugly armor sets... 4-5 points better stats per piece... i am still not sure i want to throw 200 gold for maxing from 400-500 and crafting 1 set for my warrior. I ll transmute it to Phalanx armor ofc. Heavy ascended set is the ugliest

#18 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I [i]really[/i] enjoyed Wintersday last year, so I'm looking forward to jumping into the festivities again next week. Especially that jumping puzzle! I had such a hard time with it last year, but after spending some time with it I did it multiple times in a row without failure. I also totally forgot about Bell Choir Hero. Now [i]that[/i] was some fun stuff :D

[quote name='cobalt' timestamp='1386177590' post='2267630']I am wondering if the edge of the mists is going to make this update as a surprise, not holding my breath for it though.

I wouldn't expect it. While I haven't had time to participate in any of the tests until today, there's definitely no way they'll have it ready in a week ^^

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

#19 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hope people enjoy it.
wonder how long till the next part of the treadmill gets leaked out.

will it be in the infusions or simply a new set of equipment? Besides the legendary armour stuff I am interested to
see exactly what they do next to keep things moving along.

If they go the expansion route then they can up the level and everything but I dont think they will do that at least not soon enough to keep people happy and chasing the next jump in stats.

#20 StormDragonZ

StormDragonZ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='Cube' timestamp='1386170663' post='2267561']
Brace yourself, ascended armour is coming :(

I want Chef up to 500 so I can make Ascended Donuts, or Ascended Cheeseburgers.