Guild Wars 2 Column: Changing What It Means to Create & Play an MMO

MMORPG has held an interview with Colin Johanson and Mike Z. regarding the upcoming content patch, its development, and the new boss mechanics.  Check it out on their website!

“The Jungle Wurm encounter is sort of on par with the level of coordination, gameplay and skill that Tecoatl required. It's kind of our next giant, open-world mega-encounter where hundreds of people come together and try to overcome. Because of that difficulty, it's got some pretty awesome and unique rewards on it [like] unique minis you can only get from the Jungle Wurm. There's a new sub-set of weapon skins, and there's a lot of really awesome rewards that come off of him compared to other bosses in the world. The Marionette encounter is much more casual, more approachable. It's a ton of players coming together to battle, but the amount of skill and coordination is much lower. We want people to go there, have fun, experience the story more than anything, and a lot of the rewards you get from the Marionette actually help you progress the story.”

Comments

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hijacked the post and front page'd it.  Thanks for putting this to our attention.

#2 Kuruptz2

Kuruptz2

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

ok but here is the video its also important

#3 Illein

Illein

• 2039 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Got excited when I misread "...an Asura prodigy named Taimi who's unhealthily obese" but I guess that would have been redundant any way, since people can't be healthily obese, huh? :D

Fat Asura would rock, though.

To the actual content of the interview: More minis! Woohoo. What's a new sub-set of weapon skins gonna be? An existing skin with some little extra like the Tequatl weapons are a sub-set of Ascended weapons or am I reading that wrong?

Curious about the "drops that help you progress the story". Sounds worrisome but we'll see. I imagine it's a drop with some trivia on it about Scarlet or what's going on?

“I think the biggest thing that gets me excited is when I go in game, and I see people talking about [the story] everywhere. When we get to the point where the core audience of the game is all talking about it in game, that's when we've really succeeded.”

Lovely. Never happened to me whatsoever. But if he signs in and everyone's enthusiastically chit-chatting about the story in map or say chat, good on him!

#4 Echou

Echou

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

A golem-riding Asura? Cute!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostKuruptz2, on 21 January 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

ok but here is the video its also important

Haha, I had to remove the video, we don't usually post non-trailer videos as news!

View PostIllein, on 21 January 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Papua New Ginuea (forgive the spelling, I only know it in my native language), disagrees.

#6 Desild

Desild

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

That video man. That video... Genius! Why can't I make videos as brilliant as that one?!

And on other news. it seems ArenaNet hasn't learned their lesson with Tequalt. Oh no sireee! They have to make another boss encounter based on the flopped boss encounter that has been rotting unattended the moment its patch cycle hit the fan. Because that's what we need. Content we can't experience in normal day-to-day circumstances.

If you want to do boss encounters with fancy mechanics... Why not make them small? Like, inside a room. Inside a dungeon. Hint. Hint.

#7 icegrover

icegrover

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I want to know what map chat he visits. Some of his comments make me picture him with his fingers in his ears saying "lalalalala my game is flawless lalalalala". On my server the map chat is already complaining about the new content released today.

#8 Cevilo

Cevilo

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

View Posticegrover, on 21 January 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

complaining is still talking about LS >.> it all makes sense now... seems like a "all publicity is good publicity" point of view

hopefully things get better because this content patch seemed lack luster too. 2 boss encounters, they seem huge but it's not "on demand" content I sat in Lonars pass for a few hours today running around getting the cores and did the big event twice. yeah it's fun, but I'm left like "that's it" idk...