Introducing the Megaserver System
Arenanet have announced the final feature of the April 15th update pack... the megaserver. To keep it simple, all servers are being merged for PvE in order to ensure a healthy and filled game. You can read more about it in the first part of the reveal blog.
With megaserver technology, there are as many copies of a map as are needed to comfortably hold the population of players in that map at a given time. Rather than having a separate map copy for each home world and artificially limiting the amount of fellow adventurers you see, the megaserver system brings players together and dynamically opens up new map copies as necessary.
Here are some of the big ideas:
- Essentially, overflows and "master copies" of zones are being removed. Instead of this, all players, regardless of server, are placed in an active copy of the map. When one fills, a new copy is made, and all players are placed there. In essence, server map placement is gone.
- Megaserver technology will be released on all level 1-15 maps, main cities, and PvP lobbies in the April 15th update. Before the end of 2014, it will be released on all maps, unless there is major conflict or technical issue that arises.
- World versus World, World bosses, and Guilds (or guild influence), is being changed. More on this in the blog posts from tomorrow and Friday.
- People on friends lists or in guilds have modifier values that increase the chance of entering a shard with them.
- Players can select language preferences, which act as a modifier to match you with other, language-sharing players.