Megaserver status update

Arenanet just posted an update on the megaserver status.  The update, found on all of the official social media outlets, confirms the areas of the game which have been up all day, and a few which have just been added less than half an hour ago.  The new areas are found in bold.

-Heart of the Mists

Second Round
  • Lion’s Arch
  • Lornar’s Pass
  • Kessex Hills
  • Diessa Plateau
  • Metrica Province

Please remember that submitting feedback is crucial.  In order to improve the experience for everyone, submit bugs and issues you find to the official forums!
Promoted from Megaserver Status Update

Comments

#1 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

I really love the reaction map chat has to seeing everyone in the accountancy section of Rata Sum. It should be interesting to see how this works out in actual zones though. Anyone give it a spin yet?

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

#2 MCBiohazard

MCBiohazard

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

I was in Dredgehaunt Cliffs yesterday doing a heart quest to unlock an armor skin I wanted and I noticed immediately that two other random players were around the area doing it as well. While that's not really any indicator of population at all, previously there would be absolutely nobody where I was running around in that zone so I see it as a hopeful sign. If some of the long ignored events in the underpopulated zones end up being done more frequently, (the asura champ in Timberlake Falls or the Krait queen champ there for example)  then I think their idea can be considered a success.

#3 typographie

typographie

• 2035 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Well, I stand corrected on my statement in the other thread. I didn't realized they'd changed the plan. Still mostly right, at least. :(

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostMCBiohazard, on 16 April 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

Dredgehaunt cliffs was hauled into the system this morning, so yesterday you were not yet seeing the effects!

View PostNeo Nugget, on 16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

I was playing in Iron Marches just a few moments ago... holy crap.  So much activity!

View Posttypographie, on 16 April 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

They have not changed the "plan," but rather the future plan.  They stated they'd roll the other maps out in December.  Instead, they're doing it as quickly as they can.

#5 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Interestingly enough, Anet had actually turned the megaserver system on several times on the live server before it was announced for testing. Just a couple of maps to make sure it didn't go bonkers when they did a full release. So some of us have actually played with it before.

Be sure to give feedback on the system on the forums. This is a system that benefits feedback from the end users. They can get the raw data on collections of players, but how people feel or if it is improving their play is another question entirely. I would think swapping between megaservered and nonmegaservered maps and trying to notice a different would be interesting.

Little Mabel won't be able to be here it's our worst fear. She's busy working on her garden that she's growing up in space.

Why hello there forumite. Would you like me to review some moderation you did not agree with? Never fear! PM is here! Want to be a better poster? Check on this link! And this one!

#6 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

They've added more zones!
  • Lion’s Arch
  • Lornar’s Pass
  • Kessex Hills
  • Diessa Plateau
  • Metrica Province

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostNeo Nugget, on 16 April 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

They've added more zones!
  • Lion’s Arch
  • Lornar’s Pass
  • Kessex Hills
  • Diessa Plateau
  • Metrica Province

Thanks for updating, Mr. Nugget.  ;)

View PostFeathermoore, on 16 April 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yesterday, the difference was almost immediate.  I logged into Timberline falls, and more than 25 players were just randomly coming together for the blood witch.  This has not happened at all since release week.  If it's a sign of things to come, it's amazing.

I added a little blurb to the OP about submitting feedback.

#8 lomi

lomi

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

April 15 update made me play gw2 again after months and all I can say about megaserver is, that is one of the best things anet ever made for gw2.  Big like!

#9 Xephyr

Xephyr

Fashion Addict

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

The megaserver is definitely active in more maps than those announced. Take mount maelstrom as an example.

#10 Ebony Shadowheart

Ebony Shadowheart

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I was hanging around in Black Cit last night. Normally there's absolutely nobody there. Last night it was crawling with people. It was...definitely a different experience.

#11 Wonsavage

Wonsavage

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostEbony Shadowheart, on 17 April 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Some of my guild mates mentioned that as well.  I don't know if they were messing with settings or if they reverted the megaserver there. It could also be that you just happened to be placed in a "fresh" instance (the others just recently filled to max, prompting a new one to be made) and there weren't enough people to fill that specific one out.  From what I've seen so far in different zones, each server instance doesn't appear to be filling out evenly.  They seem to be just packing one and then making a new one, basically like the overflow system was working.  So it's entirely possible you just got stuck on a newly created instance.  Though there's no way to really know for sure what's going on because ArenaNet has been completely silent on the issues people are bringing up.

#12 Malganis

Malganis

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

One issue I've noticed is kill-stealing has become a thing.   Some hearts have very few enemies around, and people are camping on the spawns and killing them immediately for credit.   It becomes difficult to do some hearts unless I do the same thing.

#13 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostMalganis, on 17 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Hearts usually have multiple options for credit. Try focusing on a different aspect of it, then kill here and there on the side.

#14 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Noob question:  do Parties share heart completion?  (I don't join parties much).

#15 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostMordakai, on 17 April 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Aside from when you tag the same mobs, no.

If you are near a heart, the party portraits will show who has it completed or not.

#16 Kymeric

Kymeric

• 1984 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

This is the first time I've ever seen the default character models on my computer (i5/8G/AMD 7870).  Never used to see them even in LA.  Took about half a minute to load in the real models after I ported into Vigil Keep.  I can only assume that's due to the megaserver maxing the population.

I'm used to seeing them on my low-end laptop, but never on the desktop.  It took me a second to figure out what I was looking at.

#17 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 17 April 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Aside from when you tag the same mobs, no.

Doesn't it depend on the heart? I thought the progress bar went up when your party member did something other than kill something for a heart. Then again it has been a while since I did a heart.

#18 Malganis

Malganis

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostNeo Nugget, on 17 April 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yes, I thought I phrased my comment so I didnt mean ALL hearts.   I meant there are SOME hearts where only a couple of things will progress the heart, or there are few enemies/items around that will progress it.   Those hearts have become issues.
I dont have a list yet, as I was with a party just running around on Wednesday when I noticed this.
Still, if it takes 10 mins to finish a heart instead of 4 mins, thats just me being impatient.

#19 Satenia

Satenia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

Coming from a high-population server, doing world bosses has never really been an issue for me. On the contrary, for some encounters the biggest difficulty was to avoid the overflow.

Having played on various megaserver-maps during the last couple of days, I would like to share my experience:

On the bright side of things, the maps do fill up nicely. I can easily join Blazeridge Steppes right on time for Shatterer spawn during prime-time without fear of overflow. There are plenty of players and generally the whole event is being done faster and without the need to camp ahead of time to ensure a space on the main map.

However, I do feel like a stranger on these megaserver maps and that really bothers me. I am (was?) very fond of my home server and the people playing there. I dare saying that I knew all the guilds and all the regulars attending the world boss events. Even though I may not have them on my friends list and I may not be part of these guilds, there are still all these players I happen to know from regular attendance and doing these events with them was in a way a coming together that felt natural. While waiting for the world boss spawn to happen, I was often looking at their characters, admiring certain armor combinations, new legendaries they acquired and whatever else. My home server was truly where I felt home... but all that is gone now.

The sad truth is that the megaserver maps I end up on simply have none of these players. I don't even know most of the guild tags. More often than not, they don't even speak my language. What the hell?!?

To me, the GW2 community I've known has pretty much died with the megaserver system. It may ensure that there are (almost) always the numbers present to complete a world boss event, but it comes at a price I did not wish to pay.

#20 MCBiohazard

MCBiohazard

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostSatenia, on 18 April 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Hmm, maybe you should seek them out again. If you friend some of the people you kept seeing over and over, they ought to come back as well as their guild associations and their friendslists too up to a certain point. I am thinking that is how it is supposed to work. Prominent social names on a server will magnet people around them due to having connections.