Megaserver rollout complete

Arenanet has announced that all PvE maps and the sPvP maps have all been moved over to megaserver technology.  From now on, the selection of your home world is only of importance for World versus World and Edge of the mists.

You can read the full announcement here.

We’re pleased to announce that now all PvE maps and the Heart of the Mists have been moved over to megaserver technology!

Although we’re excited that you have more players than ever to explore the open world ofGuild Wars 2 with, our work is not yet complete. Our megaserver team will continue to monitor the performance of the technology on live and evaluate your feedback. We will continue to tweak and update the way the system works until it is providing even better megaservice!

Thanks, and we’ll see you all (literally) in game!

Comments

#1 Desild

Desild

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Great. Just great... Maybe they can remove WvW while they are at it.

Piken Square, one of the last beacons of roleplaying, has perished.

#2 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

[quote name='Desild' timestamp='1398529859' post='2320357']
Great. Just great... Maybe they can remove WvW while they are at it.

Piken Square, one of the last beacons of roleplaying, has perished.

I wonder why they don't ask players a quick question like:

What is your main interest?[list]
[*]PvE
[*]Roleplaying
[*]PvP (they could implement an easy open world PvP with this technology)
[/list]

#3 icegrover

icegrover

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Roleplayers just aren't at the top of the list of folks they care about, unless you can easily whip out a Mastercard or Visa and buy virtual shit you simply don't need. Also good luck having them take action against those griefing roleplayers.

My experiences have been primarly negative with this rollout, but again, they couldn't care less. Hope things go better for you.

#4 raspberry jam

raspberry jam

Vigil Crusader

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Since they use that language filter to filter out people who don't speak your language... What if they added a "role playing" filter?

#5 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

[quote name='icegrover' timestamp='1398538698' post='2320396']

In my experience, RPers are the ones that invest the most in the cash shop, simply because of all the outfits and combos that you could do with them. Even more so now because of the simplification of the transmutations and the charges for them. I have yet to have a bad experience since the roll-out but this begs the question: Where am I going to find others to RP with now?

I guess I will have to resort to the GW2RP forums if I want to meet anyone for a medium-long term plan. Which thinking about it, is probably the wisest and easiest solution even before the roll out... Its just the random RP out there in the world that is going to suffer. To be honest I'm not going to miss the tavern RP in DR but I feel for those people who just wanted to chill and have fun with other players like that.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

[quote name='raspberry jam' timestamp='1398541433' post='2320405']

Boom.

And, while we're at it... can we please put the language filter and future possible RP/variable filters in a more visible location?  I scared the crap out of people during today's Tequatl run when I told them it existed!

#7 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

RP Filter would still be trolled, but it might be better than the alternative.

[quote name='Datenshi92' timestamp='1398541806' post='2320407']

If there were decent numbers of these kind of people, the town stuff they (and apparently only they) were buying wouldn't have been deleted.

#8 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 26 April 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

I don't think town clothes are good way to "measure" how many RPers invested in the cash shop. They are just too few and far too inconvenient, since you couldn't really transmute them into other pieces. You could only mix-match with other town clothing too, which didn't help. Regular armor skins were different - not only you could mix-match at will, like you didn't have to worry about it going away if you accidentally aggro a mob while you were walking down the map.

#9 Desild

Desild

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

[quote name='FoxBat' timestamp='1398549405' post='2320450']

It is more due to the fact that Town Clothes were severely limited, can't be obtained outside of the Gem Store, and there are Armor Sets that serve better as Town Clothes than the Town Clothes themselves. Specially the Leather Armor, that features four sets that more than match the current fashion ethos of Divinity's Reach.

But what do I know anyways!

#10 Enchanted Krystal

Enchanted Krystal

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

I quite like the magaserver update.  I play in Australia and at odd times & previously it was hard for me to complete some of the world events due to lack of active players.   Now I am having a lot more fun, and learning a lot faster too.  For the casual/leisurely player this is a good thing IMO.

#11 chefwaffle

chefwaffle

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Postraspberry jam, on 26 April 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

Good call but imo, channels would be better. No more game breaking lags during boss fights because of the amount of people and everyone will have a safe haven. I don't have experience in RPing but I think that it will be hard to RP in that sea of people. If we have channels, guild missions will be easier to organized, guilds can do their own stuff like say a guild only run in boss fights, players who are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people on their screen can just switch channels, players who wants more people to play with can go to the busiest channel, etc. etc.

Or give players a choice between megaserver or homeserver every time we change maps or login. The whole point of the megaserver is to be more social anyway. Those who want to be more social can pick the megaserver, those who want to stick with the people that they know can pick the home server.

View PostGilles VI, on 26 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

I wonder why they don't ask players a quick question like:

What is your main interest?
  • PvE
  • Roleplaying
  • PvP (they could implement an easy open world PvP with this technology)
According to some guy I got in an argument/debate with here in Guru, it's because Mr. I Swung A Sword doesn't believe in the quote "Birds of a feather, flock together."

#12 KQ

KQ

The Quaestor

• Site Contributors

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

I haven't played the game since October, and I don't ever intend to, but I found it increasingly confounding that the "megaservers" feature (or in vein of GW1, I choose to call them districts) wasn't there since the release. Yes, you can guest in other worlds, but there's a limit to this, and in essence, their idea of PvE only works if there's a lot of people around in the maps, and after a few months most areas just emptied out.

#13 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Well, just today I got my first Teq kill thanks to the megaservers and I'm noticing a lot of people around while questing so it definitely works. Just a shame that there's no good solution for people who love RP, though as with anything new it might get tweaked a bit more.

#14 icegrover

icegrover

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

There are things that should have been around since launch and a few things that finally are after TWO years. The megaserver system is both a positive and negative feature.

Despite all the shoddy hype, PR and propaganda from Mr. "we just don't want people to grind", there will always be a stain of incompetence.

#15 ZekApollo

ZekApollo

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostSwoopeh, on 27 April 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Not only the RP. There's the lag/skill lag on boss fights (10fps on the lowest setting with a 6900HD/Core i5), calling allies to help out in WvW, guild missions, and no more guild runs/events. They totally got rid of that home-y feeling despite promising it won't go away with the implementation of mega-bs.

#16 raspberry jam

raspberry jam

Vigil Crusader

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

View Postchefwaffle, on 27 April 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Channels would be better, especially ones as flexible as you describe. But ANet would probably say that that would "require programming", IIRC their favorite excuse. Kind of funny for a company that creates software to blame that, but whatever.

I would like to see a choice between megaserver and private instance. Then you could invite other people to your private instance.

#17 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostZekApollo, on 28 April 2014 - 03:03 AM, said:

Yeah guild stuff seems more difficult in some ways; was trying to do Wurm today with a big 500 man guild and we just couldnt get on their servers. The system does need more tweaking in that regard, higher prio on grouping guildies and people from the same server, etc.

However lag is a network/connection issue; a low framerate isn't lag but rather a hardware problem. I'm usually running around 25 FPS (highest settings on 2650x1440 except medium shadows and low visible character limit) on big boss fights with an older i7 950 and an nVidia gtx460. I haven't had any lag since mega servers (nor before that tbh). Used to have skill lag on Jormag where you could press a button but it wouldn't do anything for about a full minute, but that was many months ago. But the new server structure is not going to lower your FPS.

#18 chefwaffle

chefwaffle

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

[quote name='Swoopeh' timestamp='1398720310' post='2320900']

#19 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

[quote name='chefwaffle' timestamp='1398734884' post='2320939']That's one of the problems of megaserver. Majority of GW2 players have a decent PC, but not high end and not everyone have a highspeed internet. I'm not referring to a dial up though, I mean who uses that anymore. They should have given that some consideration before implementing it.[/quote]

They just need an option to tone down the effing graphical effects.  One that works I mean.  I run 60-80fps normally, but it never fails to slideshow my screen when an engi spams grenades at my feet.  I've actually gotten used to simply avoiding them in W3 because of it.

WTF is this game so glitz saturated?

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

[quote name='Konzacelt' timestamp='1398782786' post='2321035']
They just need an option to tone down the effing graphical effects.

The problem is that the game was created on an old version of DirectX (in specific, 9), in which particle effects were handled separately (simply put, one particle = one utilized core or resource node, or whatever you wish to call it).  DirectX10 introduced generic particle effects with physics support, which would decrease the load dramatically.

AKA, they need to add support for the new DirectX(s).