Journey into the Heart of Maguuma in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Arenanet has just released a blog post with a video that shows off and describes the design process behind the new Maguuma maps in Heart of Thorns. The blog post outlines how their old map design compares to these new maps, what activities and outposts are now and how they are being changed, and that the expansion's maps are focused on replayable, challenging content.

One of our focuses in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is to provide truly challenging content for our players to overcome. Within the jungle, you’ll encounter entirely new species, creatures, and bosses that are more advanced than the encounters we’ve introduced in the past. These encounters will require greater skills and tactics to overcome, whether you’re adventuring through our jungle on your own or with a party. Not only are we presenting these new challenges throughout the outposts and adventures you’ll find in the jungle, but they’ll also be layered across other types of content experiences. As we get closer to the release of the expansion, we’ll come back and give specific details on the new types of challenging group encounters we’ll be introducing to Guild Wars 2 and explain how these new types of challenges work within the Guild Wars 2 content experience.

You can find the full blog post on the official Guild Wars 2 website.

Comments

#1 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

As I said in another thread; I am getting sick of Arena Net doing nothing but laying foundation for them to build on later. When are they actually going to BUILD on one of these things? Living World, Feature Packs, streaming updates, the event system, the heart system, the mastery system, the specialization system...foundation, foundation, foundation....enough God damn foundation already; build the house.
  • 0

#2 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

It all depends on how it is implemented. I don't have a problem with event chains: I have a problem with them repeating so often. On the other hand, it is bad when there are no dynamic events happening at all.

Maybe "adventures" will help fill that gap, maybe not. What I hope from HoT is more varied events, so each time I long in it really feels like stuff was happening while I was away.
  • 0

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

What intrigued me in the blog post is the reference that adventures will include mini games that were included in GW1. I'm getting a polymock vibe from that.
  • 0

#4 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Either I missed that, or you are talking about this:

" As a result, you may see some activities you heard about before the launch of Guild Wars 2 make an appearance as adventures."

I took that to mean the shooting galleries and other mini-games that never made it into GW2.
  • 0

#5 NerfHerder

NerfHerder

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

So, GW2 is adding Dynamic Events and Jumping Puzzles!

I'm not sure how I feel about this announcement. It looks pretty. I need more details.
  • 0

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

Either I missed that, or you are talking about this:

Gaile's been dropping hints after the announcement, just like she did confirming LA was being rebuilt.
  • 0

#7 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Ahh cool.

Man I miss the old days where we had to screenshot Gaile's cryptic remarks in-game.
  • 0

#8 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hehehe i will believe it when i see it..........
.....you do remember promise of archery range in Divinity`s Reach (minigame) i`m still waiting :P
  • 0

#9 ilr

ilr

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

They could have been doing ALL this stuff a year or two ago when us hardcore Dungeon runners were BEGGING them to change the mob AI & Encounter types there from Zerk-everything to an actual-challenge. They didn't need whole new zones... they already had completely empty & instanced ones to be fixing this Carebear crap in long ago. ...allowing crowd control skills and skill-shots to matter... Making balanced Armor stat choices just as important as they are in PvP. Hell even making the mobs act like PVPers or atleast like the Paramilitary spawns in GW1 that you couldn't just face-tank unless you were a game-breaking Rit or Sin...
  • 0