Edit: ArenaNet has released a statement regarding the state of pre-purchases for Heart of Thorns.

During tonight's Guild Hall announcement showing at E3, ArenaNet has announced that you can finally pre-purchase Heart of Thorns. There are a few different editions available and many details to read through, so make sure you check out their FAQ page on the official site before heading over to the purchase page to ensure you choose the edition that's right for you.

Here's the basic edition structure of the Pre-Purchase system.

Standard ($49.99)
  • Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns expansion (includes Guild Wars 2 core game)
Deluxe ($74.99)
  • All Standard Edition Contents
  • Additional Character Slot
  • Miniature Revenant Rytlock
  • Revenant Finisher
  • Mordremoth's Bane Guild Hall Decoration
  • Heart of Thorns Glider Skin
Ultimate ($99.99)
  • All Deluxe Edition Contents
  • $50 in Gems

Comments

#1 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

from what we've seen and heard of this expansion there is nowhere near $50 worth of content. they are kidding, right?

#2 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

Really not happy about this. Yeah the price seems a bit high, but whatever. What really bothers me is that the standard ($50) price comes with the core game, yet there is no discount for players who already own the core game.

"Hey new players, buy the bundle and the expac is literally only $10!" - Arena Net

"That is awesome. How much for just the expac if you already own the core game?" - Players

"Oh you already own the core game? Bend over." - Arena Net

#3 Haggus

Haggus

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it looks like I'll be missing out on this expansion.

#4 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:15 AM

Regina made a post on the official forum stating that the expansion itself is $50 and that the base game is "free" with it. so any hopes of an account upgrade at a lower cost just went out the window.

to be honest i wouldn't mind paying $50 if i thought there was $50 worth of content there. but what they have shown us so far of HoT it isn't going to have anywhere near that amount of stuff, compared to the original price of the base game which was $60. i'm sure they have a couple more things to reveal but i don't think preorders would go up unless the bulk of the announcements had been made. they've announced maybe $15-$20 worth of content so far (just imo of course) and don't expect they will announce another $30-$35 worth of stuff before release.

so yeah, i was getting hyped and started playing again but i just lost all will to play this game. looks like i'm going elsewhere, again. anet never learns.

#5 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:19 AM

[quote name='Tellia' timestamp='1434514554' post='2356703']

It seems a bit high to me, but I can deal with paying it. What really bothers me though is the core game bundle. I wouldn't mind giving new players that bonus, hell it already means my guild will be growing a few slots, but that is we vet players got something too. But we don't. New players get $40 worth of content free, while vet players get nothing. Completely forgotten about. They could at least toss us a few gems or a character slot or something. But nope; they are so focused on chasing new players that they effectively screw over and piss off their current ones.

#6 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:39 AM

Okay, being as fair to Arena Net as I can here...

There is ONE piece of content we vet players have "free" access to that new players will have to pay extra for. Living World Season 2. And that is what, $20? If that. So, new players get $40 in bonus content, we already have $20, I feel like Arena Net should be giving us $20 worth of extra goodies because of our veteran status. I'm thinking a character slot and bank tab would be suitable.

#7 Feminist Terrorist

Feminist Terrorist

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

I agree that the price is too high for what is in the package. Anet doesn't learn.
Maybe if people make a big enough stink, they'll rethink things, but I wouldn't count on it.

#8 Satenia

Satenia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

All that entitlement...

In my opinion, the core price is well within the range of what can be expected for an expansion and any edition above just has extra goodies and gems in line with the current gemstore prices.

What is important to keep in mind is that you are paying for a service. Actually reading the EULA for once may help if there is any confusion about that. As a veteran player who made frequent use of this service these past years, you already have a huge advantage over any new player, no matter if they get the "core" game for free or not.

#9 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

[quote name='Satenia' timestamp='1434523843' post='2356721']
i don't disagree that $50 is reasonable for an expansion.

i just don't think $50 is reasonable for THIS expansion.

what we've seen so far? nowhere near $50 in value especially when you consider that the base game was $60 at release. do you honestly think that HoT is going to have 5/6ths the amount of stuff in it that the base game does? atm i don't think it will even get close to 1/6th the amount of stuff. so why is it so expensive?

that's not "entitlement" it's just logic. in my opinion this expansion is not worth 50 bucks. if it is for you, that's cool, buy and enjoy.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

I was expecting 30 units of currency to be the worst case...  glad I never pre-order games.

#11 Brizna

Brizna

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Giving away the base game for free while making it seam to loyal customers that they are forced to buy something they already have is a great marketing strategy. Hell! I had stopped playing GW2 like 6 months ago but when I heard about HoT I started doing dailies again just to stay in touch with the game until XP was released .... but I just lost all interest on it.

Not to forget that while we still don't know what is in it it does seam very pricey.

#12 Karuro

Karuro

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

I for one am not pre-purchasing/ordering it right now.

#13 Cutthroat

Cutthroat

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

Blizzard charge 10 bucks for Hearthstone portraits. [url="http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/05/ive-spent-600-on-hearthstone-cards-but-10-portraits-make-no-sense/"]http://www.forbes.co...-make-no-sense/[/url]

I won't pre-purchase before knowing when the first beta weekend event is, but I don't have a problem with the price. I'll play everything the expansion has to offer, and there really isn't a decent game competing with GW2 at the moment.

I agree with Ravious:

[quote]I don't care if new players get the core "free", and I get no similar compensation. Rather have more players, more support, for this game.[/quote]

#14 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

It's pretty normal for expansions to be $50 at launch, and to usually package the base game with them.

What's not normal is (1) not supplying a release date after listing pre-order options and (2) not giving us anywhere near enough information to justify spending $50 on this expansion. It's still very unclear what is actually going into this expansion versus what isn't, since from what I understand everyone will have access to Stronghold and the new WvW map.

It seems like the only thing that's truly expansion-gated is the PvE content, which doesn't really seem to me to be worth the $50 price tag given the quality of the Living Story. I'm in wait and see mode.

#15 NerfHerder

NerfHerder

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

Can you buy the expansion with gems? That would be a good compromise considering the price.

$50 is reasonable. I might even buy the $100 package. Cuz gems and free bonus edition.

I'm also waiting to play it for a while, before I bash it to pieces or discredit it. Peace.

#16 typographie

typographie

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

My personal policy is to avoid pre-orders anyway, but I'll definitely be holding off here. The fact that the "standard" edition includes the core game makes it sound like there could also be an "upgrade" edition later on.

I would assume a Heart of Thorns upgrade will show up in the gem store as they did with Deluxe Edition, and are they really going to include the core game there? That would be a bit silly. Wait, in my opinion.

Edit:
Jeez, there doesn't even seem to be any pre-order bonuses for the Standard edition. And no release date given. This is a terrible pre-order, even by pre-order standards.

#17 Occultus

Occultus

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

They introduce a new class but don't don't even include a character slot with the standard edition?  Screw ANet and their money grabbing ways!

#18 Satenia

Satenia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

[quote name='Tellia' timestamp='1434525510' post='2356724']
i don't disagree that $50 is reasonable for an expansion.

i just don't think $50 is reasonable for THIS expansion.

Personally, I don't see the HoT expansion as a static thing. On the contrary, I expect the content to grow along the lines of how the core game did with the living story and all the other improvements they added in the following months and years. As such, what they announce to be in at launch is somewhat secondary to me. In my opinion, they did a fine job these past three years overall, that is reason enough to warrant my pre-order.

[quote name='typographie' timestamp='1434551042' post='2356751']

The pre-order bonus for all editions - including the standard - consists out of the beta access as well as a title. Some people care about such things, some don't ;)

#19 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted.

#20 Kymeric

Kymeric

• 2029 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

I hope the forum outrage is reflected in pre-purchase sales.  What I've seen of this expansion is not worth $50 without even thinking about the bad taste left from some of their decisions so far.

Guess I'll do like I do with most games, and wait until the expansion is being offered on deep discount.  How long did it take for the original GW2 box price to drop significantly?  Might have to do some digging to remind myself.