Over eight years have passed since GuildWars2Guru opened its doors to the community, and with my deepest sympathies, I'm here to announce that they'll be shutting permanently on December 4th, 2017

The forums will remain available for use until then, so please use this time to save your favorite posts, hang out, and exchange contact info with other members.

If you find yourself wondering where to go from here, I suggest the following communities:

I'd like to take a moment and thank you all for the memories over the years, especially the moderators and site contributors from both sites - GWG & GW2G. Without you guys, Guru wouldn't have gotten as big as it had, nor lasted as long. :]

Comments

#1 cosyfiep

cosyfiep

C is for cookie

• Moderators

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Wow, has it really been 8 years? I can remember when it started (guess that was 2009...so yeah, 8 years), I had been modding for about a year at that time. (Cant believe I have been modding that long either).

It has been quite a ride since then, and will be saddened again to see the gurus come to a final end. Many fine people have posted here in the years --both here and on guru; friendships have been made, and people have passed on. It has been great fun and an honor to work or just jest with the posters here and I will miss all of it.

(dang now 'Thanks for the memories' is running through my head...)

• 3

{image of mouse belongs here} where is the 'all you can eat' cookie bar?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Huge shame, thank you for everything!

• 3

#3 JONO51

JONO51

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Khalija, mods, and community for all the good discussions since GWG. Appreciated, even if I haven't been active in some time. See you on the other side.

• 2

#4 Jenn

Jenn

Resigned

• Site Contributors

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

It's been a while since I've been around, but y'all gave me so much. There's been so many wonderful people that I met through Guild Wars and Guild Wars Guru.

• 3
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
Jack Layton

#5 Earth

Earth

Always Outnumbered

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

That's a shame. Thanks to everyone for the memories, I've met some wonderful people on GWG and I wish everyone the best.

• 2

#6 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Well, it's not as though the place has stirred that much discussion or had that much traffic in the past couple years, so this isn't too surprising.

• 1

#7 Kattar

Kattar

SHODAN

• Administrators

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Always the shining ray of light people are looking for.

• 2

You are fooling yourself, user. Nothing here is what it seems. ANet is not the plucky hero, Guru is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

Questions about moderation? For the love of Balthazar ask them here!

#8 Crophancis

Crophancis

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:24 PM

And here I am, almost exactly five years from my last post. I had a wonderful time in this forum. I followed the game's development back in the day and when it launched I dissapeared as I guess many others did, I still kept lurking from time to time though. I still remember how we nickpicked blurry pixelated screenshots to have a glimpse of that elusive blue mace lady. :)

This game wouldn't have been what it is today without you guys. Gathering a strong initial fanbase and properly hyping things up is extremely important.

GuildWarsGuru and GuildWars2Guru were instrumental to this game's success, but most importantly, it planted the seeds of so many fun memories that came afterwards, and for that and much, much more, I sincerely thank you.

I'm Khenzy.9348 in game. Feel free to contact me at any time!

May your future endeavours achieve greatness and happiness!

• 2

#9 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:49 PM

Always the shining ray of light people are looking for.

If blanket optimism and positivity is all you're looking for, then you definitely won't miss this website.

• 1

#10 Stuart444

Stuart444

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

First Time I've logged into this account in forever.

Just want to say, thanks for all the memories GW2G. <3

/salute

• 1

#11 izari

izari

TalkTyria.net

• Community Contributors

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:00 AM

Signing in to say thank you to everybody who contributed here and elsewhere over the years.

My involvement in the community resulted in some of the best experiences of my life, and meeting some of the most amazing and talented human beings I've had the pleasure of getting to know.

See ya'll on reddit.

_izari_

• 3

#12 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:24 AM

bye.

• 1

#13 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I also want to think everyone who contributed to GWG1 and 2, it has been a marvellous resource for me for many years. It was tragic when GW1 went down and years of gaming history were lost.

I wouldn't have achieved GWAMM as soon as I did (or maybe at all) without all amazing insights posted on GW1 and all of it - especially getting LDOA the hard way - was made fun by the indefatigable efforts of the GW players who shared their discoveries.

My main focus was the art community and we had some very special artwork from some incredibly talented people over the years.

I have been honoured to be a mod here with so many capable admins and moderators from whom I have learned a lot. I wont mention everyone but I have to mention that Cosy has been a constant presence and working with her on the trade forum I came to believe she never slept. Khalija has led the forum with grace and intelligence and I am grateful to have benefited from her help and advice over the years.

• 2

Anita Sarkeesian Hate and Heroism

Moderation related questions, or any query just contact me here

(I won’t do your maths homework!)

#14 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Damn. It's been a long time since I posted here! Just wanted to say thanks for being what you were, Gw2Guru. I remember fervently snagging avatars and forum names right when the this website opened extremely clearly, and now seeing it close down makes me feel very odd indeed.

And it is strange to reflect on. I try in a lot of ways to keep up with the Gw2 community in various places, but despite how much I once used this place I never really think to check here. That says something. This news is a bit of a shock, but I suppose on some level I must have always known how dead it became. I guess with reedit and the official forums existing this might have been inevitable.

But in that space before launch I want you guys to know this place was awesome. Not perfect, no - no forum ever is. But we got a hell of a lot of good discussion about the game in! Hell, I think this community may have even shaped the game in those early days. And that is worth something.

What's worth even more, though, to me, is that I know without GuildWars2Guru - without being able to fanatically discuss Guild Wars 2 and learn about the game - my life would have never taken the course it eventually did. I know this fact. And I want to thank you all for it. I owe it to the people here.

Cheers guys, was one hell of a ride.

• 3

#15 Jimbo32

Jimbo32

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

I have many fond memories of GWG. It was one of my online homes for the years I was a serious GW player, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who made more than a few friends through the Guru trade board. God, I miss it. There's definitely something to be said for player-based trading in an MMO, rather than the current trend of faceless (and in GW2's case, nameless as well) trading posts.

Even though I suppose that GW2Guru isn't *really* the same forum, it still feels like the end of an era.

Thanks to Cosy and the trading/PC oldtimers - Pleikki, MaxBorken, Enchanted Krystal, StueyG, systemfan and all the others.

Special thanks to my long-lost pals LicensedLuny and Lynette LeSange.

Any Guru people who also play GW2 can find me at jimbothirtytwo.1547 in-game.

• 2

#16 JR_

JR_

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Virtually everything about Guild Wars 2 will, for me, is a sad story of unrealised potential.

Back in 2005 there was more than enough friction between ArenaNet and the community, but the friction existed because there was real engagement and people cared. I'm sure I gave Gaile Gray one or two headaches about how they approached developing their PvP product, but she was still willing to wade hip-deep into community chats, live events and fan forums. There was direct communication with the designers themselves, and changes were made regularly and openly based on community feedback. Jon Peters, Izzy, Jonathan Sharp, Jeff Strain, Mike Gill, Emily Diehl, Linsey Murdock, quite a few I am forgetting (some of which I had the pleasure to meet at PAX) - you guys made it the most compelling and entertaining gaming experience.

With Guild Wars 2, things changed. My guess is that they invested so much in developing a product that was 'already perfect' that they saw little need to involve the community. The usual problem of ignoring the vocal minority because you think reaching the 'average gamer' means a different set of priorities. They promised the world to everyone, but ultimately weren't able to quite deliver to anyone. Rather than release something modest early on and get feedback, they kept it in development for years at great expense so options for changes based on player feedback were limited.

It's hard to understate this: ArenaNet (between 2004 to 2011 mostly, but also after) enjoyed an immense benefit from such a healthy and constructive fan forum community - to the credit of everyone involved. They essentially had an army of community managers, moderators, administrators and developers working for free. GuildWarsGuru supported, over its lifetime, something like 300,000 registered members, and many more unregistered - offering an incredible trading platform, a lively range of PvE communities, and eventually the most successful PvP community too. When they decided to create an official forum, and limit the range of their community activities, they started to cut off the blood flow to everything else. They squandered eight years of experience and talent built in this community for an ability to better control the narrative. They stunted the growth of up-and-comers like the various podcasts that sprang up pre-release (shout out to Relics of Orr) by trying to do everything in-house. Why? Arrogance, probably, if their attitude to fansites is anything to go by. They could have once again profited from the most immense and effective content generation engine for the cost of nothing but a little oversight and input... but cared more about control.

Inde built this community, and deserves a serious amount of appreciation - from ArenaNet as much as anyone else. I don't think there's a long term moderator or admin here that wouldn't credit her with a significant amount of their wisdom in regard to community management. Kattar gets points for toughing it out far longer than most, and Kvinna for being put in an unpleasant position but making the best of it. And of course, every single moderator I ever had the pleasure of working with - you are all awesome for giving up time and energy to make these communities function. Everyone except that one guy with the Dr. House avatar.

It's probably fitting that my final post in this forum is in the style that I began with 12 years ago: An overly long, barely readable rant aimed at ArenaNet. It's been a wild ride, even if I was forced to be a spectator for the last 6 years.

• 5

#17 Calista Blackblood

Calista Blackblood

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

I fondly remember your initial rant all those years ago, still true to this day. I wonder (and expect) this one to go much the same way in another 12 years.

<3 ya JR and all the other peeps who made it possible

• 3

* Blackblood passes the vaseline - * Kvinna greases up Blackblood

#18 Piippo

Piippo

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Wow, it's been 7 years since I registered. I must have been such a damn kid back then...

I was never very active, and dropped off quite quickly after launch in favor of reddit, but this place has a special place in my heart all the same. Those few years before the launch of the game I spent so much time browsing and reading this place, and I'd venture a large part of my initial love for the game was due to this community. Sad to see it go, but I suppose everyone's got their due time.

Also a final special shoutout to the Lore Forums for always being the best section of the forum. I still remember excitedly refreshing it to catch every single new thread and reply some days. It just isn't the same anymore...

• 1

#19 snograt

snograt

rattus rattus

• Site Contributors

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Jenn.

Wow, the end of Guru. Unimaginable 10 years ago, inevitable now. So sad.

Official “worst GWG super-moderator ever” signing off. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Snograt.
  • 2

#20 Calista Blackblood

Calista Blackblood

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Worst supermod but the best snograt
  • 3