Today we have an interesting post written by Neato on tips & tricks you might not have known about during your first BWE play-through.

I found a few that some may have not noticed and figured I'd share them with the rest of you, and everyone else can add their own too!

I'm sure you've heard the complaint... "We can use skills even if we aren't in range and there's no way of knowing if we're out of range!"
But I learned that's wrong. I actually thought this too, and thought they should make the skills turn red or have a red bar over them when out of range, that is... until I discovered that they already do. It's the number. If you're in range, the skill number is white, if you're out of range it's red. Here's a visual example, watch skill #4 and F1, F2, F3:

Next, the complaint... "If I finish off a monster and have skills queued then they'll auto target the next mob and possibly agro something I had no intention of agroing!"
Well, this one's true. But there's a few workarounds...

1) In Options, just disable Auto Targeting. Now, for your game to not have become suddenly incredibly difficult... you need to go into Options -> Control Options and set Targeting Foe - Nearest to a hotkey you can easily use. For those familiar with GW, you may want to use C as the hotkey. From now on, you'll have to target manually using C (or clicking), but if you finish something off you won't start attacking something else (unless it's in your line of fire).

2) This method is a little harder in some ways and easier in others, but it's just a different way of going about it. Rather than disabling auto targeting, instead we want to set a hotkey in Options -> Control Options. The option is Targeting: Hold Lock (locks the auto-target while held down). So, you can set this to something like say... Shift, and then when you're about to kill something you hold down Shift (or whatever hotkey you chose), and it won't select a new target once your current one is dead. All you have to do is let off the "hold lock" key you designated to begin auto targeting again. Overall, the best all around solution I think. Very useful.

Next... "Where's the Guild Panel?!"
There's no button at the top left for it, so it's a little hard to find. But there's a hotkey set for it, just hit "G".

Next... "How do I sheath/unsheath my weapons?"
This one's easy, there's a hotkey for it but it isn't set. So you gotta go in there and set it. It's called Action: Stow/Draw Weapons, and there you go!

Next... "Chat is too transparent and too small, I never even notice it's there, and there's no tabs or anything! I have to keep using these stupid slash commands to switch chat channels. They had a good thing with GW and shouldn't have changed it."
I feel your pain. I thought this too, for the longest time... That is, until I figured out that it wasn't the case.You should see this down at the bottom left hand corner of your screen:

Click that little icon next to [Guild], which for you will probably be [Local]. Show/Hide Chat Panel. Then, it'll come up. I have mine resized, but it should look like this...

And here's what all that junk is...

#1 Show/Hide Chat Panel (toggle)
#2 Where you type.
#3 Area where text appears.
#4 Settings

• You can change the size of the font displayed in the chat panel here.
  • You can also change the profanity filter to various levels.
  • You can also enable timestamps or channel tags.
#5 Tab settings

• Click another tab so it's active to edit its settings.
#6 Close tab.
#7 Add new tab.
#8 Drag this to resize the chat panel.

Next... "The towns are too freakin' huge! I get completely lost, and having to run all over the place is a major pain in the butt!"
Indeed it was, until I discovered I could use waypoints in town at no charge. Hit M to pull up your map. There are 3 levels. Above ground, ground level, and under ground. You can click each of the levels to show a different map. Wherever you need to go, just find a waypoint near there and use that to fast travel to that location rather than getting lost or running all over the place trying to find it. This proves very very useful...

That's all I've got for now... feel free to add your own!

Updates! - May 04, 2012

"I hate having to find X weapon for Y class, I end up having to play with some weapon I don't want for so long!"
Well if you have a little bit of money (something in the range of 50 or so copper) then you can head to your "home." For instance for human noble, this would be in the Salma District - the place you have your party. If you go there at another time, you have your own personal instance. It has all sorts of merchants in there. You can find an armorsmith and weaponsmith as well. Oh and there's a dye npc as well. He'll take your colorful seeds and take a day to convert them to random dyes. If you have plant food then he'll do it instantly.

"Having to hit F and click each item individually to loot them is so annoying! They need some kind of auto loot."
There is an auto-loot system actually - it's in Options. You still have to hit F, but it'll automatically pick up everything for you so you don't have to click each individual thing. It can still be somewhat annoying if there's an NPC near you since there is no dedicated loot button and you'll tend to "interact" with the NPC a lot by mistake, but it's worlds easier than clicking each item individually.

"OMG I have this stack of X and I can't split it!"
Try alt+clicking and dragging the stack to open the split dialog panel.
Thanks Umbradomo for this tip!

"I've tried to mail items to my alt but it says that I can't send stuff to myself!"
At this time mail to other characters on your account can't be done, but...... Your bank is account wide so you can put items and cash in there and any character on your account can access them. This is great for the times you get a nice weapon you can use but an alt may be able to.
Thanks Umbradomo for this tip!

"I wish there was an easier way to sell things..."
You can sell things at the trading post from anywhere by right clicking the item and going to sell at trading post. You only need to head to the trading post to buy things, and collect what your items sold for.
Thanks Enenion for this tip!

"I wish there was an easier way to aim these ground target skills..."
There is, actually. There's a fast-cast ground target option and it'll automatically cast them for you without having to aim. But, that's not all... There are four ways to cast ground target skills:
  • Press hotkey, aim ground reticle, cast by pressing left mouse button.

• Press hotkey, aim ground reticle, cast by pressing hotkey again.

• Aim at ground with mouse cursor first, rapidly tap hotkey twice to simulate fast cast. This retains the ability to aim with reticle (tap once instead of twice), or cancel the cast with right mouse button, when needed.

• Enable fastcast ground targeting option in menus, aim at ground with mouse cursor first and tap hotkey once to cast instantly. No ground reticle will ever appear, no second chance to retract or hold the cast if a situation changed.
Thanks Trei and highteqz for this tip!

"I wish there was some kind of crafting material storage..."
There is, actually. And not only that, but you can right click on crafting materials to add them to your collection and they'll be transported to your bank instantly.
Thanks to Linfang for this tip!

"I wish there was a way to easily swim up and down..."
You can swim directly up by pressing the spacebar and directly down by assigning a key to that action in the options menu (it has no hotkey by default).
Thanks to Enyth for this tip!

Updates! - May 05, 2012

New! "What do all these area of effect circles on the ground mean..?"
Red circles on the ground have a bad effect on you, blue circles have a beneficial effect on you and white circles have no effect.
Thanks to Lanka for this tip!

New! "This PvP armor looks so boring!"
You can spend the glory you earned from PvPing to purchase new looks. These glory merchants will sell you rank 1 vanity PvP armor at 1500 glory and items costs around 500-1000 glory each.
Thanks to Lanka for this tip!

New! "I wish I could add markers to the map..."
You can add your own markers (waypoints) to the map, by using Alt + left mouse!
Thanks to Lanka for this tip!

New! "I've seen some people linking things in chat. How do they do that?"
Shift+click an item/waypoint/point of interest will allow you to link it into the chat log. Doing so with a waypoint for example, will allow anyone that clicks on it through the chat log to pull up the map showing them its location and allowing them to travel there if they have unlocked it.
Thanks to Lanka for this tip!

New! "How do I join PvP with a friend?"
Right click their name (Party list, guild list, etc.) and select, "Join Friend in PvP". You can also go to the PvP Channel NPC by the LA Portal, any channel which contains a Friend will have an icon beside it.
Thanks to Dastion for this tip!

Thanks guys, keep them coming!
Promoted from Neato's Tips & Tricks

Comments

#1 Garnatian

Garnatian

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I just hope there's a lot of customisations for the UI when the game launches since I spent a lot of time starting at the hotbar waiting for skills to come of CDs

#2 Milk

Milk

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Great post, OP. Thank you.

#3 highteqz

highteqz

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Other tips and tricks that may be worth mentioning:

-You can add a cooldown timer to your abilities (counts down to zero) in the options

-You can enable fast-casting of ground-targeted abilities so that they insta-cast where the cursor is pointed.

There are a couple more. I will edit them in when I think of them.

#4 sandstrom91

sandstrom91

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

One kinda obvious, but some may not know, in the hotbar, there's a small red ring at the bottom of the icons for those abilities that are ground target.

#5 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Oh wow, so that's why the keys below my skills turned red sometimes.=P Couldn't figure out why some of them were red, and some were white.
Also didn't know about weapon sheathing. That's nice.

#6 Bael

Bael

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

View Posthighteqz, on 29 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

I'm glad to hear both of these, especially the first one. Awesome.

Sort of related to the topic, does the beta client allow players to move the UI around like the first Guild Wars does? I'm interested in moving the minimap for instance, but all of the screens or videos I have watched thus far have the UI looking exactly the same.

#7 Valaria

Valaria

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Very nice post.  Very informative.  Thank you. :)

#8 Neato

Neato

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Oh and uh... the Pirate Costume was listed as 300 gems but charged 700, so if that isn't fixed in the next BWE, be careful about that.

#9 Glenstorm

Glenstorm

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Excellent post, OP! Thanks to you and to everyone else who's taken the time to discover these tips and put them up for the rest of us. It's a really good idea to have these consolidated in one place for easy viewing. I humbly request that this thread be stickied. :D

#10 Neato

Neato

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, I don't think many people are really going to see it otherwise.

#11 Chalky

Chalky

chalktastic

• Super Moderators

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Great work dude, that's really useful!
Do you need help or just want to chat about moderation?  Drop me a PM.

#12 Istaro

Istaro

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

You can shift+mousewheel to change the current height level in the world map.

#13 fr4j0

fr4j0

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Is anyone aware of an option of making the target player/mob red text above their head larger? My eye sight is poor and during the beta found it difficult to 'see' the player in the attack graphic spam; tried turning the GFX down low but didn't help.

@OP great post ty

#14 Shadowcat101

Shadowcat101

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

yes great post! i remember when i started playing with the chat window, thinking this is soo much better then GW1.

#15 Leyana

Leyana

Breezing through life

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

A little something to add:

The 'numbers go red indicates out of range' thing is a little iffy. I've found that if you are standing on higher ground than the target, you can hit targets when your skill numbers are still red. I've only tested this with a bow mind, so things which don't have a parabolic arc might be different.

Otherwise, good post.

#16 Geikamir

Geikamir

Legion Commander

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Good post and very informative! I did find out those things myself (except for the sheath option, good tip!) but I imagine that this will help out a lot of people.

#17 Robotstyle

Robotstyle

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostLeyana, on 01 May 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

A little something to add:

Otherwise, good post.

To add the number 3 skill on my engineers pistol would often hit whilst it was red and "out of range" whilst on a level ground.

#18 Luke86

Luke86

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostRobotstyle, on 01 May 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Also, the number 2 skill in the water bar with my mesmer had a 1200 range I think, but I could successfully hit anyone from pretty much any distance... probably a bug.

#19 Hasselmannen

Hasselmannen

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostLeyana, on 01 May 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

A little something to add:

Otherwise, good post.

I also experienced this a lot with my guardian's greatsword-leap. I rarely waited to get close enough for it to turn white before I popped the skill and hit the monster. I didn't really have to stand "far" above either, places that seemed pretty flat worked too.

#20 Tamora

Tamora

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

for those of u who aren't aware of t from gw1: crtl+alt shows the name plates of all characters nearby. they kept it in gw2 and it's quite handy, if u run around and want to check whether it's friendly territory or there are enemies. It's also very handy, if u want to target a spefic foe.

ctrl+t marks ur current target and party members or allies (not sure who really is affected by the marker) can assist u with t. that's also carried over from gw1 i think.