Today we have ten things for you that you can do to prepare for Guild Wars 2.

1. Reserve your name on Guild Wars, if possible.

One of the most stressful things about a game's release and during the headstart is the rush to getting that perfect name. While you won't be able to reserve 1-word names in Guild Wars, if you have a perfect 2-word (or more) name that you really want, then you can reserve it in Guild Wars already. All you have to do is link it to your Guild Wars 2 account, and log on some time between January 1, 2012 and a few weeks before release, and your name will be reserved during the Headstart.

If it's already taken, then you'll just have to take note of it and pray that person doesn't log on and get their name reserved, or don't pick up Guild Wars 2 by the release. Because if they don't, that baby's yours! That is, if you're fast enough... ;)

Of course, if you don't have Guild Wars then this isn't really an option, and while it isn't necessarily a requirement to playing Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars is a great game in its own right, and if you need something to do to pass the time until release, or just want to check out some of the lore and back story, then it may not be a bad idea to check it out. You can probably even find it for pretty cheap. I remember getting several copies of Guild Wars: Prophecies for just $5 during a Black Friday sale, and the entire series for just $15. So, if you haven't tried it yet... look around, maybe you can luck out, and who knows... maybe you can get that name you want.

2. Max out your Hall of Monuments.

Speaking of the original Guild Wars, if you have it, then you're definitely going to want to max out your Hall of Monuments so that you can get some extra goodies for free. A linked Hall of Monuments from Guild Wars gives all sorts of rewards in Guild Wars 2.

You don't have to fill it up completely to get all of the rewards - you only need to get to 30. But if you want to for the sake of completion or bragging rights, then you're most definitely able to, and you'll have the titles to show for it when Guild Wars 2 comes out.

And if you're new to Guild Wars, you shouldn't worry too much. You can fill up quite a bit of the Hall of Monuments and get a lot of great rewards with relatively little effort. It's a great way to get a lot of extra digital fluff for free. So even if you're not really interested in the original Guild Wars, it may be something you might want to check out for the unique rewards alone.

3. Try out all the classes!

That's right, all of them, even the ones that you don't want to play. I dare say the ones that you want to try out the least may be one that surprises you the most.

Before I'd tried it, I'd watched the videos and I thought Mesmer just looked completely lame, like some fail joke of a pet class, weak and boring. Oh how I was wrong... I tried it on an absolute whim, and not only were my preconceptions completely wrong, but it was the funnest class out of all of them I'd tried! Every single weapon set felt fun, and everything just felt 'right'. Now Mesmer is the class that I want to play as my main. If I'd stuck with my initial impression and not actually tried it, I may had really missed out on something great. So, don't make my mistake. Try them all!

4. Plan your appearance.

Appearance may not be crucial to some, but if you're anything like me then you may spend hours in the character creator making your character perfect. Mess with the character creation now, and screenshot the sliders or memorize them so that you won't have to mess with it during the headstart. You can save yourself hours during that critical time by doing this now.

5. Decide your classes and story choices, come up with names for your characters, and plan backup names for your characters!

As with the appearance, you should also take note of which story options you're going to choose. Plan out which ones you want for which classes and characters. If you have four human nobles, you may not want every single one of them to have a missing sister. Perhaps one of them will have wanted to have been in the circus. Plan ahead of time, and save yourself time later when that time is much more important.

Now... I realize that some of you may spend all of 5 seconds during the headstart coming up with Xx Narutoblade Xx, but for some others... names may be an extremely important element to you, and you may have a really hard time coming up with them and end up spending hours staring at that blinking cursor in that character creation screen trying to think of a name.

This is not something you want to be doing when the headstart begins and all of the good names are quickly disappearing. Prepare ahead of time! Come up with your names now. If you've already planned out your appearance, then you have a good basis for being able to name them. So come up with the names that you want, and then come up with backup names in case those names are taken. Doing this can really save you a lot of stress and headache during a game's headstart.

6. Check out the skill tool, read up on traits, read all utility skills.

Have you seen the Guild Wars 2 Skills tool? If not, you should definitely check it out. You can check out all the combinations of main hands and offhands, all of the utility skills and elites, and you can even set your traits. It's a great tool for learning more about the classes and really getting a handle on what the classes are all about.

Make sure those classes that you tried out are really going to be the thing for you, and checking out what all they can do in the skill tool is a great place to do that.

You may spend hours exploring skill combinations and traits, so it's best to do it in the downtime between BWE's (Beta Weekend Events), that way you don't have to waste your precious time during those events. You can try them out later during the next one and then come to your real conclusions about the classes. But it's just a great way to learn more and better prepare yourself for Guild Wars 2.

If it's items you're interested in, then be sure to check out our Guild Wars 2 Database right here on Guru. There's skills, traits, achievements, and all kinds of other things there too. So be sure to check it out!

7. Connect with friends or make new ones.

Find old friends and guildmates and get back together for Guild Wars 2! Or if you want to start fresh, then start making friends or find a nice group to play with now so that you're not all alone when the game releases.

If you're looking for a guild, be sure to check out our Guild Recruitment section!

8. Check your hardware.

Make sure your gaming rig can actually run Guild Wars 2. You can find the system requirements here.

If it can't, you had better start saving, bucko! You don't have much time now, better get that gaming system in tip-top shape before Guild Wars 2 hits the shelves!

9. Update your drivers and install system updates.

Now that you've determined that your gaming rig can handle it, it's a good idea to update your drivers and install your operating system updates.

While always a generally good idea to keep up-to-date, the difference between having updated graphics drivers and not could be the difference between spending hours pulling your hair out trying to troubleshoot a problem in-game, and actually having fun playing the game.

While it may be something you rolls your eyes at, a lot of times it really can make the difference.

10. Buy Guild Wars 2!

Buy the game! With Guild Wars 2's release date set at August 28th and headstart beginning on August 25th, this one may seem like a no brainer - but there are actually some people out there that haven't purchased it yet. Do we even have to tell you? What, you haven't bought it yet?! Why are you reading this? Hurry up and go buy the game! Throw money at your screen, whatever it takes! You're gonna want this game.

Are you already preparing yourself like I am, or are you preparing in other ways? Let us know how you're preparing, we'd love to hear!
Posted in: News Editorials

Comments

#1 lolabunnie

lolabunnie

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Good article. I do all of these things to "prep myself" for a release. I also buy no-calorie energy drinks, snacks and clear my schedule for the next few days. :D

#2 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Cool list!

#3 Xuphor

Xuphor

She's watching...

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Just some feedback/"constructive criticism" to the creator of the article:

#4 Mhairi

Mhairi

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

It's a good list, the only problem is #2.  If you're planning an asura or slyvari how to you plan your appearence? Other than that good list.

#5 Yol

Yol

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

[quote name='Mhairi' timestamp='1340912544' post='1556990']

Wouldn't it be lovely if the final beta weekend gives access to the sylvari and asura character creators?

#6 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Nice list but #1 never actually specifies making a GW1 character to reserve your name.   Reading the article one could think that there is name reservation option in GW1 or something.

Very good suggestion to pick character appearances and names during the BWEs.  The customization is not a extensive as some games but it is deep enough that screenshotting those settings beforehand would be a real timesaver.

I will, however, completely [b][i]disagree[/i][/b] with the sentence in the HoM section -
[quote]You can fill up quite a bit of the Hall of Monuments and get a lot of great rewards with relatively little effort/[/quote]
This is complete baloney.  There are two months left.   Beyond the initial 5 HoM points you need to [i]complete large chunks of the GW1 campaigns[/i] in order to get up to 30. You don't just need to buy GW1 as implied by the article, you'll need to buy EotN (at least) as well as Nightfall and Factions.

I'll be getting to 27 with the help of a veteran player (Thanks Aaron!) who helped me with the last 7 but getting to 20 HoMs on my own was NOT just a 'little effort'. I ended up buying Heroes and Skill Unlocks, which I was happy to do to support ArenaNet, but I'm certain I couldn't have gotten those HoMs without those purchases because I jumped back into the game after quitting a long while ago.

I've been constantly seeing the HoM misrepresented in the amount of effort required to obtain the rewards.  If someone was a truly hardcore gamer they might be able to complete all the campaigns and hit 30 or more in the two months left before GW2 is released but the article portrays HoMs as something simple which anyone new to GW1 can easily obtain and that is just plain wrong. I shudder to think how steep a two month learning curve would be for someone to simply become familiar with the GW1 basics like skills, builds, professions, heroes, runes, insignias and countless other mechanics.

GW1 vets might regard HoMs as simple or easy to obtain but they forget they've been playing GW1 for[i] years[/i].  And I think that is the point to HoM rewards.   The are meant to reward people who have been dedicated to the game for all those years.   People who want to jump in late will have to pay a steeper price (figuratively and literally).   And that's fair, I have not been a dedicated GW1 player, I quit years ago and only came back after GW2 was announced.  And that's why I have far different perspective on what it takes to get the HoMs.

Go for the HoM if you really want the rewards, but if you're new to GW1 or coming back after years of absence, then get ready for an hard and tedious climb.

#7 RabidusIncendia

RabidusIncendia

• 1953 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

There's a few things missing:

1) Schedule time off work

2)Buy lots of junk food and caffeine

3)Draft fake reasons to avoid social meetings
Fun while it lasted.  I guess.

#8 Dove

Dove

Elite Guru

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Are names reserved for 24 hours after you delete a character on your account?

I still haven't gotten an answer on this. Anyone test it during a BWE?

#9 Baktwerel

Baktwerel

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

[quote name='Yol' timestamp='1340913576' post='1557061']

This and so many times. If any developer is seeing this comment, please consider to let us play with the [b]character creation[/b] (nothing more) of Sylvari and Asura during the last beta weekend. At least consider it <3

#10 Drac The Twisted

Drac The Twisted

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Anyway, I thought it was a good list.Thanks to this I remembered to get all of my names reserved! The Hall of Monuments takes a lot of work and time to get 30 points. I am content with the 10 I already have.

Who else has been working on their HoM?

#11 Xynth22

Xynth22

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've done everyone one of these already, lol.

#12 Mournblade

Mournblade

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I think I will try for the single-word name versions and use the GW1 two word names as my backups. I can't decide. All I know is that I hated it when the cut-scenes and text bubbles referred to me as Ischade Anariel. Call me Ischade for gods sake!

#13 MinkoAk

MinkoAk

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

[quote name='Mournblade' timestamp='1340921346' post='1557520']

Yeah but would you imagine Xx Narutoblade Xx ? He'd be called Xx :P

#14 Korra

Korra

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Already did all of this! Hopefully i'll be fast enough to take the name i want, if not i'll be a sad panda. but heh i'll play anyway!

#15 Tanith

Tanith

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Isn't #5 missing something?  We should also decide our servers if we haven't already.  I've been perusing [url=http://titanpad.com/ep/pad/view/4SyT2aGiZB/latest]THIS[/url] link in case we decide we don't want to stay on Kaineng.  Not sure if there are any other pages out there with a population breakdown for the servers.

;)

#16 Anzuri

Anzuri

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

[quote name='Tanith' timestamp='1340923172' post='1557636']
Isn't #5 missing something?  We should also decide our servers if we haven't already.  I've been perusing [url="http://titanpad.com/ep/pad/view/4SyT2aGiZB/latest"]THIS[/url] link in case we decide we don't want to stay on Kaineng.  Not sure if there are any other pages out there with a population breakdown for the servers.

;)

Good point and good list. Will have to get everyone organised and on the right servers. Technically we have less than 2 months tho for those who pre-purchased. But I imagine they're prepurchases will skyrocket again as everyone will prepurchase and essentially all get to play on the 25th (nice of them to make it a saturday)

#17 Roan Rivers

Roan Rivers

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

How do I spend more time in character creator when beta is down? :)

other than that, I did everything I can to prepare.  Excess complain about GvG.  But that's for another day!

#18 Corsair

Corsair

Is trivia

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

[quote name='RabidusIncendia' timestamp='1340915690' post='1557195']
There's a few things missing:

1) Schedule time off work

2)Buy lots of junk food and caffeine

3)Draft fake reasons to avoid social meetings

Please don't make the rookie mistake of asking for time off work the day of release. Servers are flooded and overtaxed. I have never seen a huge launch be a smooth launch.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.

Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!

• 2099 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

[quote name='Drac The Twisted' timestamp='1340918693' post='1557379']

Who else has been working on their HoM?
[/quote]I finished mine a couple of months ago in march or april, so i need to a few things now that is related to Guild Wars 2 is to buy [b]NEW[/b] hardware. :D

#20 Creed

Creed

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

[quote name='Xuphor' timestamp='1340912397' post='1556976'] Terrible Article. Most of the people here already did 6 of those (Buy the game, Update Drivers (wtf?), make sure system is compatible, name picking, Skill Tool messing, and deciding classes.), 2 of them only apply if you have $50 for Guild Wars 1 (Name reservation and HoM. If you already owned the game, chances are you already did those 2 anyway), and the last 2 (trying out the classes and planning appearance) are somewhat better, but considering we [u][i]can't[/i][/u] plan our appearance for Sylvari or Asura yet (and don't even know yet if we will in BWE 3), it's kind of pointless. Trying out the classes..... we'll be able to July 20th-22nd, but otherwise we won't be able to again until August 25th/28th. Like appearance, pointless. That's not enough time to truly try out all the classes. So yea, terrible article, filled with either completely useless or redundant "advice". :( [/quote]

The article may be pointless to you, but it may be helpful to someone else. Why do you have to be such a thread killer? I you complaing about the op's post being pointless, you didn't even think about how pointless your post is.