Lewis B has posted his first part of his interview with Jon Peters over on Guild Wars 2 Hub. In it you'll find Jon addressing profession balance, pets, tiered traits, and more, so head on over and check it out!

Also, don't miss part two coming up shortly, as well as an interview with the famed Colin Johanson!

Today we're pleased to bring you the first part of our exclusive Guild Wars 2 interview series on the state of the game as ArenaNet prepares for launch, and for the upcoming beta weekend later this month. This week we have a great two part interview with Jon Peters on the trait system and profession balancing.

You can find part two of the interview here.

Comments

#1 Nedra

Nedra

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

[quote][b]Jon: [/b][color=#555564]I guess people read somewhere on the Internet that random effects cannot be in competitive games. Like everything on the Internet, that is at most a half truth. The truth is that random effects are what create moments of opportunity for players to react to. There is a threshold of randomness that is not acceptable, but if you are given outcomes that have clear, non-game breaking implications, those are the moments that expert players should be using to press advantages. Without randomness, all you have is masked complexity, which is hard for new players to understand, and creates false choices.[/color][/quote]

I completely disagree with that.

#2 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

[quote] This is expected as we intentionally reduced the number of options for each choice in order to make each system easier to understand; however, we countered this by creating more choices and more interaction between those choices.

[b]This creates more depth, but less complexity.[/b] As players dig deeper, they will find a system with more choice—one that still takes time to master, but one that will actually help more people reach that level of mastery. Of course it may frustrate people who are coming from a game they already have mastered, namely the original Guild Wars, but this is a new game after all.[/quote]

Only my opinion, but I would call that a superior system.

Depth = good
[u]unnecessary[/u] complexity = confusing

#3 GrrMcWtf

GrrMcWtf

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

So glad they fixed mine kit!

#4 Kogarasumaru

Kogarasumaru

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

[quote name='GrrMcWtf' timestamp='1341290862' post='1568586']
So glad they fixed mine kit!

seems a bit too good imo. now we have an engineer that can inflict conditions and remove boons at will.

#5 Politikon

Politikon

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

[quote][b]Jon: [/b]I guess people read somewhere on the Internet that random effects cannot be in competitive games. Like everything on the Internet, that is at most a half truth. The truth is that random effects are what create moments of opportunity for players to react to. There is a threshold of randomness that is not acceptable, but if you are given outcomes that have clear, non-game breaking implications, those are the moments that expert players should be using to press advantages. Without randomness, all you have is masked complexity, which is hard for new players to understand, and creates false choices.[/quote]

I'm really loving this response Jon made during the interview. I know that not everyone enjoys randomness (I certainly try to avoid it on a competitive level), but I feel he responds to the question very reasonably and with a cool head.

#6 The Eggman

The Eggman

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

[quote name='Kogarasumaru' timestamp='1341290933' post='1568587']

Depends on its CD. I highly doubt they left it with no CD like the mine kit was, especially now that it has boon stripping AND knockback as default. Same with its tool belt skill.

#7 PariahX

PariahX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Whoohoo! Glad I stayed up.   Article almost crashed the site tho.  ;)
Thanks again Lewis for another lovely read.  Looking forward to the second part.  Gotta love the way these guys think!  Give me deep over complex any day.  Nice to know they have so many changes in store.  BWE3 will be a whole new world.

[quote] we still build a system where the purity of purpose in professions lies more in their playstyle than in their roles.[/quote]

[QUOTE] The short answer is that pets need to be 100% responsive in combat, always attacking when they can and obeying any commands you give them. That has to happen in order for us to release the game.[/quote]

#8 asbasb

asbasb

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

I was missing a question about Messmers, but Jon's response about competitive randomness made up for it. gg

[quote name='Lewis B' timestamp='1341293503' post='1568653']
My mesmer questions are in part two tomorrow :)

Oh goodie! I'll be waiting patiently.

#9 Lewis B

Lewis B

TTH/GW2 Hub

• VIP

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

[quote name='asbasb' timestamp='1341293326' post='1568649']

My mesmer questions are in part two tomorrow :)

#10 Andlát

Andlát

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

A really interesting read.

This part made me really curious:

[QUOTE]We are still working out what the upper and lower limits for builds need to be. By the next beta weekend, you will see a lot of balance changes to all of the professions as we work toward establishing those limits. There are still going to be builds that fall into the glass-cannon category, support category, etc. We just need to determine where to draw the line.[/QUOTE]

This might shift the profession specs entirely.

#11 Vorsakan

Vorsakan

Storm Chaser

• Site Contributors

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

Huzzah for GW2hub interview week! :)

That is an interesting mine change indeed - didn't expect any skills to lose kit status altogether at this stage!
I wonder if any other skills [i]gained[/i] kit status... :o

I wonder if the mine skill is a Gadget now, or there's a new skill category e.g. "Ordnance"?
If one elixir was 'misplaced' between BWEs 2 & 3 (*cough C or U cough*), the engineer would be approaching a potential standardized 4 skills-per-type pattern.

#12 MethaneGas

MethaneGas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I wonder what changed they will make to Necros :o  July 20th can't come sooner DX (or maybe I should say August 25 - 3 day headstart >: ))
And it seems like the next beta will be a big one

Can't wait for part 2 =)

#13 Venbloodblade

Venbloodblade

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Definately gonna check out more engineer next BWE then, I think I've done all the experimenting on my lvl 35 charrdian I need to =)

#14 Saleem

Saleem

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Yaaaay ! Skill and trait changes ! XD I can't wait to see everything in game for BWE 3
Looking forward to part 2

#15 Istaro

Istaro

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

The new Mine sounds really cool.  I love it when a single skill can be used in quite different ways.

#16 Geirstadalv

Geirstadalv

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

[quote name='Lewis B' timestamp='1341293503' post='1568653']
My mesmer questions are in part two tomorrow :)

How about the thief?

#17 borovnica

borovnica

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Nice interview Lewis, as always :)

#18 Massive Jawbone

Massive Jawbone

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

[quote name='Lewis B' timestamp='1341289750' post='1568553']
Hi all,
The first part of my interview with Jon Peters has now go live.  The second part launches tomorrow.  The interview with Colin Johanson won't be far behind it :)
Enjoy!
[url="http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/profession-and-traits-interview-jon-peters"]Profession and Traits Interview with Jon Peters[/url]
[/quote]A bit heavy on the Engineer's side this interview, I'm not sure if your personal interest in this profession required such a preferential treatment. I skipped that part completely.
Other than that there was some nice insight to be found, very nice.

#19 Zero_Soulreaver

Zero_Soulreaver

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

This is great to read, I don't play Engineer at all but still worth hearing about it as we know many players have issues with that profession.  I can't wait for the Mesmer portion, which is my main concern.

#20 Lewis B

Lewis B

TTH/GW2 Hub

• VIP

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

[quote name='Massive Jawbone' timestamp='1341320352' post='1569259']
Other than that there was some nice insight to be found, very nice.

It’s pure chance that Engineer questions surfaced in the first part of this interview, the second published later today covers Guardian, Necromancer, Mesmer and Thief in some form.  Ideally I’d like one interview per profession, but it’s just not possible. :(