Arenanet is here with another new blog post today, this time on the opening cinematics that people experience after creating a new character.

Once a player has chosen a character, class, and name, the first experience you have with the story of Guild Wars 2 is the opening cinematic.

Some of you may be thinking: “A cut scene? Skip, skip! Where’s the gameplay?” But hold on there! These gorgeous cinematics aren’t just a warmed-over reiteration of the box text; they tell the history of your chosen race and set the stage for the grand drama that’s about to unfold. Plus, the opening cinematic offers you a chance to see the concrete results of your character’s history and personality choices. We wrote them for you!

Read the rest of the blog post here

And with this blog post, we also get 3 videos, one for each of the races that were playable in the last two Beta Weekend Events. If you haven't played the previous Beta Weekend Events and have not seen the opening cinematics for the Human, Norn and Charr races and you would prefer to see them in game then of course, you shouldn't watch these videos.

Comments

#1 Puddin Cheeks

Puddin Cheeks

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thought i was on top of things! you Beat me to it.
Watching all of these videos is just making me more impatient for Aug 25th to get here.
I've read through countless info and speculation threads and am twiddling thumbs in furious anticipation.

This is how i have been since BWE#1
[img]http://i.qkme.me/3okadw.jpg[/img]

#2 Makovorn

Makovorn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ah, so the penny drops. Now we know why we haven't seen the sylvari and asura intro cinematics in the JeuxOnline and Gamespot vids - ArenaNet obviously wanted to keep that little tidbit for a blog post. Well I can't wait! :)

I must say, they've tweaked these cinematics a whole lot over the past 2 years it seems - especially in terms of sound. I think your individual sound sliders determines the balance (i.e. sound effects vs. music), however the music seems way too soft in these previews. The sound effects are very pronounced, but it really needs that extra oomph and emotion that only music can provide.

Pity they don't do an audio premix and set it exactly right. With only 3 permutations per cinematic, it could only result in max 15x small 2 minute mixes. It just feels like it needs compression. It needs more pump! ;)

Gosh, I still get goosebumps hearing Claudia Christen in that (most excellent) norn cinematic intro. I remember hearing it the first time during the 2011 GDC, and oh, it's still so glorious. What I wouldn't give to have a replay system (or something akin to a scrying pool) in GW2 just to re-watch these masterpieces of art. Come on ArenaNet, make it so! :D

#3 7thCylon

7thCylon

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

great now i have to choose another server

#4 Beorn The Berserker

Beorn The Berserker

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

After that norn morphed into a bear I had to change my pants

#5 Shiren

Shiren

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Do they have some kind of data which shows people have been skipping the cinematics in the beta? I kinda got that vibe from the introduction.

[quote]Some of you may be thinking: “A cut scene? Skip, skip! Where’s the gameplay?” But hold on there! These gorgeous cinematics aren’t just a warmed-over reiteration of the box text; they tell the history of your chosen race and set the stage for the grand drama that’s about to unfold.[/quote]

Personally I've watched all my cinemeatics (and was dissapointed that the sylvari one was hidden in the videos this week and held back from this blog post - it's the only reason I bothered to read the blog article) when creating a character, unless it was one I'd seen before. I guess this blog post is mostly targetted at the uninitiated masses.

#6 Tenicord

Tenicord

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Meh.. the Asura and the Slyvari are the ones we want to see.. I'm sure most of the GW2guru fans have watched these to death.

#7 Archduke

Archduke

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

The opening cinematics is one of my favorite parts of the game. The art style and emotions that are in there just engulf you. Best way to introduce players into Tyria. Much better than a graphic intro where you are likely to have lag and loading problems.

#8 Bahadur

Bahadur

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

[quote name='Shiren' timestamp='1342645676' post='1610938']

Heh, i got the exact same vibe from this blog.
These videos are readily available in a lot of places, Anet making a blog about them seems to scream "please watch it! Why you no watch? :("

#9 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

I did watch the cinematics the first time I made my characters in BWE1, but since then I've been skipping them because I want to play the BETA.
I kind of wish I would have time to watch them when the game releases... but I'll have to rush to reserve some names.=/ I hope there'll be a cinematic replay feature ingame, cause I do love these intros.

[quote name='Makovorn' timestamp='1342640584' post='1610704']

Yes, the female norn intro is way too awesome. Totally my favourite.

#10 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Am I the only one avoiding watching these videos because I want to see them with my real character when the game is released?    I've seen the human one already from earlier articles and that left me impressed enough that I don't need to see the others until I've actually rolled my characers.

I guess I'm like those people who don't look at the calendar pictures before each month arrives.

#11 Dexwyn

Dexwyn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

[quote name='Makovorn' timestamp='1342640584' post='1610704']

I feel the same way about the Charr cinematic--get a shiver down my body every time he says "... we have killed out Gods." Can't even describe the feels I get at the rest of the video... Honestly, the writers don't get enough credit for these intros. Everyone focuses on the sound/music and the visuals, but the writing is seriously deadly.

I scratched my chin a little at this bit, though:

[quote][color=#000000][font=tahoma, arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]In the second part of the cinematic, we illustrate the player’s past history, their outlook on life, and which Spirit of the Wild—Bear, Snow Leopard, Raven, or Wolf—they feel the most affinity for.[/left][/size][/font][/color][/quote]

I remember the latter half of the cinematic talking about whether you'd chosen Strength/Cunning/Instincts, but I don't recall anything about spirit choice. I wonder if that's something they're changing!

#12 Vahkris

Vahkris

Vigil Crusader

• Community Contributors

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

[quote name='Doctor Overlord' timestamp='1342649194' post='1611086']
Am I the only one avoiding watching these videos because I want to see them with my real character when the game is released? I've seen the human one already from earlier articles and that left me impressed enough that I don't need to see the others until I've actually rolled my characers.

Aren't you in the beta?

Just so you know, the videos only actually show about half of the intro, which only describes the history of the race.  The parts where it branches according to your choices aren't there.

[quote name='Dexwyn' timestamp='1342649500' post='1611101']

#13 Ramei Arashi

Ramei Arashi

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Glad they didn't have sylvari and asura. I may have been tempted to watch them.  I don't need everything revealed in advance.

#14 Vahkris

Vahkris

Vigil Crusader

• Community Contributors

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

[quote name='Ramei Arashi' timestamp='1342650394' post='1611136']

Sounds like they're going to show them in a later blog.  Question is, will it be before or after the BWE?

#15 Psydrome

Psydrome

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I never skip cinematic stuff!
Story is one of the most important parts of a game for me.

#16 Amannelle

Amannelle

Legend of the Norn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

[quote name='Vahkris' timestamp='1342651967' post='1611192']
Before, definitely. There'd be no reason to wait until after, since by that time everyone will have seen it.

#17 Dexwyn

Dexwyn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

[quote name='Vahkris' timestamp='1342650046' post='1611124']No, the spirit choice is in there already.  People may tend to choose similarly, though (Strength and Bear, for example, or Cunning and Raven/Snow Leopard), so they can look like they're only one of the choices.  If you choose Cunning and Bear you'll find it very easy to see the point it switches.  They don't actually state "I chose this spirit", it's more flavorful text, but whichever you chose will be animated in the scene.

Gotcha. :) I'll have to go back and watch a couple and try and spot the differences. Thanks!

#18 MXCL

MXCL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

I'm still going to skip them.

#19 Vapor

Vapor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

I personally love all the cinematics, they add another dimension to the game.

#20 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

[quote name='Vahkris' timestamp='1342650046' post='1611124']
Aren't you in the beta?

[/quote]Yup.  I turn away, cover my ears and go 'Lalalala' very loudly :)

It's good to know the videos only show the history part of the races, I guess they're safe to watch.