Final Chance to Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2

Arenanet just sent out a newsletter to fans warning them that the final moments to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 are coming.  Pre-purchase guarantees three days of early game access, a unique in-game item, and other potential benefits.

Hundreds of thousands of players from around the world will become a part of MMO history when Guild Wars 2 launches on 28 August 2012.

By the time the game launches, players who have pre-purchased the game will have been exploring Tyria for three days already! Pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2 gives you the exclusive Hero's Band in-game item and three days of Headstart Access-so you can begin playing on 25 August!

Log in, create your character, and experience the wonders of Tyria three days before launch-pre-purchase your copy today!

You can read the newsletter here, pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 here, and find more information about Arenanet, the game, and mechanics on the official website.

Guild Wars 2 headstart access beings upcoming Saturday, 25th of August.  The retailer pre-order access begins Monday, 27 August, and the game launches officially on Tuesday, August 28th.

Comments

#1 Akbaroth

Akbaroth

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

So do we know exactly when the cut-off is for pre-purchasing? i've already got my copy, but a friend of mine is pushing it a bit close.

#2 Oduru

Oduru

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostAkbaroth, on 20 August 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Yeah, that's what I don't get either. They're only stating "This is your last chance!", but when that chance ends isn't mentioned anywhere. So my best guess is that it ends when the headstart actually begins, the "last chance" being the coming couple of days untill that happens.

#3 Izardoz

Izardoz

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

I am guessing that pre-purchase ends August 27th at 11:59PM PDT..in other words, right before launch
I doubt they would keep anyone out of the game who purchased it during the 3 headstart days...

#4 Naevius

Naevius

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Probably about 24 hours prior to headstart; enough time to eliminate the majority of screw-ups and support issues, not to mention resolve all payments.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostNaevius, on 20 August 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Agreed, this is probably a marketing thing, but it could be today for all we know.

#6 TheHanzou

TheHanzou

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

HM preordered my version from a shop yesterday (since i dont have PayPal) that just told me its no longer aviable and i will only receive a normal copy. Now i need to get my money back and get it on paypal which will take 2 days...

I think if i cant get the headstart version anymore ill just not buy it at all. My friend will start at headstart and he even took a day off on monday (as did i). I know him and he will play hardcore and not stop for me, so if i can only 'powergame' to play catch up i think ill just pass entirely on the game.

#7 rlh445

rlh445

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Just to let you know, you wouldn't really have to play 'catch up' as your buddy could just come back to where you are, be scaled down to whatever level area you're in and you guys can still play and have fun together.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Your friend will be downscaled if he joins you, and the only catch-up to play is your non-shared adventures.  We do not know when, but pre-purchase could be up until 1 minute before headstart access for all we know ,so don't skip on a game solely due to your friend getting a little faster start.

#9 TheHanzou

TheHanzou

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postrlh445, on 20 August 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Yeah i know what u mean but he wont do that. He will not do content he already did 2 days before again. He will just go to get 80 as fast as possible. But hes not a bad friend, hes just highly competetive, im in the same boat as well. Thats why isaid better dont play at all for me if we cant start together.

#10 Kogarasumaru

Kogarasumaru

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Makes sense. PvE is highly competitive.

#11 Oduru

Oduru

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

If you pass on the game just because your friend will be a couple of levels above you, I think you should rethink your priorities. And I'm sure that if he knew you would not play the game at all just because he's a few levels ahead, he would come back and play with you (which grants him comparable experience anyway, so he won't really slow down that much). If he doesn't, I'm not sure if I would call him a good friend... but that's just my personal view, of course.
Anyway, it's an amazing game and there's insanely much to enjoy apart from the race to 80 (which is quite a limited way to play, since you'll probably only experience about 10% of the game untill you reach level cap... and then what?).

#12 DrunkenMadKing

DrunkenMadKing

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Wow I don't know what competition your friend sees at the end of the road at 80 in pve.  I have several friends and no matter how many times they join and start I won't mind coming over and helping them out and seeing the content with them.  That's the joy of this game.  No matter where I go I will still be able to participate with my friends.

Different friends different priorities I guess.

#13 Sevens

Sevens

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Sorry but no where in that newsletter did it say "Final Chance" or even hint that there was a cut off or dead line...it was more like " Hey we have a 3 day head start you should be aware of"

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostSevens, on 20 August 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Subject line: "
5 Days Left until Guild Wars 2 Headstart Begins! Last Chance to Buy to get in the Game Earlyā€¸"

Bolded, Underlined, and exaggerated upon for emphasis.

#15 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Why be precise when you can make more sales based on uncertainty and "gotta buy NOW"?

#16 ZudetGambeous

ZudetGambeous

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

"Hundreds of thousands of players"

Guess they still haven't broken the 1 million mark with pre-purchases, otherwise they would have surely said so...I can't think of any reason not to. I know all other MMO's always announce when they hit the 1 million milestone.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostZudetGambeous, on 20 August 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

"Hundreds of thousands of players"

It's probably a marketing tactic.  To a person, hundreds of thousands sounds a lot more than simply one million.  It's like prices, why do they always charge 14.99?  Because 15 sounds bad.

#18 AxeX

AxeX

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

^ Theres also the fact that many people pre-ordered, and not pre-purchased. Normally I'd assume Arenanet would be like any other company and just lump the two groups together but as far as my experience goes they've done many things differently so it wouldn't surprise me if they're actually being honest about that "hundreds of thousands".

#19 MattVid

MattVid

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostTheHanzou, on 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

You both sound like you will be playing the game incorrectly, but I hope you can enjoy yourselves. If you idea of fun is skipping all the content, not exploring anything and rushing to 80, I am not sure GW2 is the game for you.

And your friend can come back and play content he hasn't played yet. There are 5 starter zones and many other leveling zones in the game. There isn't just one. You will most definitely need to complete many of these zones to get some of the legendary weapons later on. Completing all the skill challenges and what not alone will give you free points to use for skills and even buying items later.

If you are not buying the game because your friend won't play with you, then I guess that makes sense. I would suggest getting friends that are not WoW tards though. Rushing to the end is always a bad idea. If you are that competitive to race to the end only to quit the game inside of 1 month ... go for it. But it sounds like a poor idea to me.

#20 TastySlop

TastySlop

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

The thread title says "Final Chance". Nothing in the ANet stuff says final chance.