The official Guild Wars 2 strategy guide is now in english and available for purchase. The guide includes the following:
  • Detailed Maps and World Coverage
  • Comprehensive Profession Analysis
  • Character-Build Guidance
  • 25-Level Walk-through
  • Extensive Bestiary and Crafting Coverage
  • Exclusive Developer Tips and Interviews

Amazon is also selling a physical copy - you can either buy the hardcover or paperback version here:

The Essential Companion
  • Quick-Reference Map Stand Included - The perfect screenside reference for navigating Tyria. This freestanding atlas highlights waypoints, trainers, challenges, renown tasks, trading posts, and many other crucial locations. Find the points of interest you seek at a glance!
  • Limited Edition Hardcover Strategy Guide - Features all the expert strategy, detailed analysis, and indispensable data from our Signature Series guide— showcased in a deluxe hardbound volume with exclusive cover art. A must-have collectible for serious Guild Wars fans.
  • Bonus Digital Guide - Each Limited Edition contains a unique code granting free access to the digital edition of the strategy guide.
Strategy Guide Includes:
  • Detailed Maps and World Coverage - Our maps guide you through the land of Tyria, identifying critical locations and characters. World chapters break down each region with data for waypoints, tasks, harvesting, and more.
  • Comprehensive Profession Analysis - We detail each profession’s strengths and limitations, armor and weapon choices, skills, attributes, traits, and general play styles. Plus, we show you how to get the most from them in PvE and PvP.
  • 25-Level Walkthrough - We lead all races up to level 25 and beyond. Along the way, we cover basic and advanced concepts for battle, grouping, finding skill challenges, dealing with dynamic events, and more.
  • Extensive Bestiary - We describe the best ways to engage the many creatures you’ll encounter, including where to find them, their common attacks, useful items they drop, and more.
THAT’S NOT ALL!
  • Exclusive tips, interviews, and stories from ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2 development team!
  • Expert character-building guidance for both novices and seasoned veterans.
  • Essential crafting coverage helps you make the items you need.
  • Fascinating background on the Guild Wars universe, gorgeous artwork and imagery, and much more!

Comments

#1 Xuphor

Xuphor

She's watching...

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

25-Level Walk-through
Considering there is 80 levels, that's pretty bad for a guide. Also considering all the information in the guide can be found (and actually undated) in the GW2 wiki, it doesn't seem very usefull.

I can understand wanting a physical copy of all the stuff on the wiki, but it's an MMO..... it'll be uselsss soon enough. Look at all the strategy guides for when WoW launched, I bet they are 99% inaccurate nowadays.

EDIT: It's not physical, it's digital. That makes this utterly useless, even right now when the game launches. Alt Tabbing between the game and the guide? No thanks, I can alt-tab between the game and the wiki. I also doubt many people would pay for the ink/paper required to print it all.

#2 Khalija

Khalija

Leaf on the Wind

• Administrators

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostXuphor, on 27 August 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

Amazon is selling the hardcover and paperback: http://www.amazon.co... strategy guide

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!

#3 Rekkie

Rekkie

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Part of me wants that Hardcover....although it would be useless long term it looks pretty.

No need for a walkthrough though, but some of the other content could be worth it.

#4 Manzana

Manzana

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

I do believe my Prima guide for Guild Wars 1 was outdated before the game even came out :P

#5 Xuphor

Xuphor

She's watching...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostKhalija, on 27 August 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Good to know, but it still falls prone to the other things I said, mainly the fact it'll be outdated very quickly. A few of my friends that actually play WoW said that my saying 99% of launch day strategy guides being inaccurate now is pretty true.

I must admit though, if I had a higher paying job and had a decent amount of disposable income, I still would probably buy the physical copy. It would come in a lot of use while it lasts.

#6 karekiz

karekiz

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

View PostKhalija, on 27 August 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

So basically coverage of all the things we have already seen in Beta?

Whoopy?

#7 Ikarlos23

Ikarlos23

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

I have to say that I was so excited about the idea that I just bought it, it's got 515 pages so I'm guessing it's got plenty of information. I'll report back after I've read more of it. So far, I'm happy with my purchase. :)

#8 Yosepi

Yosepi

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

I might  actually get one
Just to make sure, they all have the same content in right?

Edit:
Nevermind I read it properly and found this

I'll buy it tomorrow and if this post is still active when I get it I'll post whatever shots people want :)

#9 illu

illu

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

I own both of the strategy guides that were made for Guild Wars 1(Prophecies and Factions of course; the Nightfall guide was deemed a fruitless venture before it even began).

I don't feel silly buying these as they are for enjoyment purposes only. I had fun flipping through those two guides just to look at the pictures and little thoughts that went into crafting it. In fact, a quick flip through it reveals that some of the prestige armors had previously required Ectoplasm and Shards to craft; outdated/misinformed information or not that is just wow! :)

Plus, the first Guild Wars guide had many editors that were alpha/beta testers.

#10 Izokka

Izokka

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

mmm just wondering if someone that have bough the collectors edition can mail me the copy ....

#11 curiousfluke

curiousfluke

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

I want to know what the "Quick-Reference Map Stand" looks like. I've been jonsin' for a physical paper map and I might just buy the guide for that.

Would someone who buys it take a shot? :)

#12 Prince Zorkian

Prince Zorkian

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

Already bought and prepaid for.  Just waiting for it to arrive at Game stop tomorrow morning.  I do believe that making any copies of copyrighted material is against the Guru policy, but if I am wrong, I'll see what it do it upload it tomorrow afternoon (my time)

#13 Yosepi

Yosepi

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostPrince Zorkian, on 28 August 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

Shame, completely understand it though xD Otherwise only 1 person would need to buy a copy.
What about certain things? Maybe like the atlas or something? Unless they plan to put some pics up because I suppose I do kinda wanna know more about what I'm buying

#14 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostPrince Zorkian, on 28 August 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

You can summarize content and post your opinion on it (which would be great!), but you're right, no direct scans of the guide can be uploaded.

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

#15 sergel02

sergel02

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

I'd get it if i had the money. I like strategy guides and find them fun to read.

#16 Lord_Demosthene

Lord_Demosthene

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

The sad truth is, basic guides/primers like this one USED TO be free, already included with the game's box. Civilisation: Test of Time is about the first (but not only) coming to my mind (and it had about 200+ pages of written manual detailing every silly question you'd otherwise have to ask over the Internet).

My experience with Brady Games is based solely on their Starcraft II guide (my flatmate got one), and well, what can I say about it?

It covers all the basics in more detail, highlights strengths and weaknesses of the factions which are oblivious/not obvious to casual gamers and has a rather good analysis of few ladder maps, coupled up with a step-by-step campaign walkthrough. A good start (because all the information is condensed in one place), but definitely not a 'cutting edge' strategy or 'voodoo secrets' as the advertisement makes the guide to be.

#17 Yosepi

Yosepi

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostYosepi, on 28 August 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

I might  actually get one
Just to make sure, they all have the same content in right?

Edit:
Nevermind I read it properly and found this

Edit (Again) :
Won't be taking shots because it's illegal but I've ordered it and will tell you if I think it's worth it when I receive it :)
Amazon says it's out of stock though so it might be a while :S

Yeah I clicked Quote instead of Edit :P Fail

#18 Coolit

Coolit

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Seems quite pricy when you consider the cost of a physical copy. I purchased the limited hardback version and it didn’t really cost much more (£13.99 from Amazon, normal version is £11).

#19 HeroYouFear

HeroYouFear

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Damn, i tought it was physical, but apparently it's digital, i swear i did read phyisical a few days ago, so i blindly purchased it, i don't think i can have a refund, 9 euros for a PDF that i will be able to download online in 30 minutes for free.

#20 Yosepi

Yosepi

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostHeroYouFear, on 28 August 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Unlucky :P Yeah, I wonder if they're gonna try to do something different to stop that. Because really all the information will be copied up to wikis by next week, and the maps are all there already.... Ah well, I still bought it haha