ArenaNet has recently posted some status updates on some of the most important issues for the Guild Wars 2 team. You can find the original post over on Reddit.
  • Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.
  • Email authentication - Email authentication is a feature that notifies you if someone tries to log into your account from a location you've never logged in from before. Thus, even if someone guesses your game password, he can't log in unless he also guesses your email account password. You can make email authentication even more secure by using an email provider that supports two-factor authentication, such as [1] Google or [2] Yahoo, and taking advantage of that. We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.
  • Parties, guilds, etc. - Parties, guilds, and other social features are periodically failing. This causes issues such as party members not appearing on the map, and party members not staying in the same overflow servers as they travel between maps. This happens particularly during times of peak usage. We're working to fix related problems and mitigate this issue with each subsequent update.
  • Worlds - Many worlds are filling up. We're keeping the number of worlds constrained so that worlds stay well populated even after the initial surge of high concurrency. However, we will add worlds as necessary. As of Wednesday, August 30, all German language worlds are full and all French language worlds are at high usage, so we're adding two new German language worlds and one new French language world.
  • Overflow worlds - During this initial surge of high concurrency, and especially while many characters are low-level and thus playing in the same starting areas, it's common for players to be directed to overflow maps. If you want to play with a friend, but you’re not on the same overflow map, you can form a party together, then right-click on your friend's portrait in the party list and click "join". Note that this functionality is sometimes intermittently unavailable due to the "parties, guilds, etc." issues noted above.
  • Trading Post - We're working to bring the Trading Post back online. To help test, we've temporarily made it available to a random 15% of players, while we work to resolve remaining capacity constraints that will allow us to open it to everyone.
  • Edit: We have completed our live testing of the Trading Post for today and the Trading Post is now in maintenance for all players. Thank you everyone that participated; this test has helped us tremendously.
  • In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.
  • Edit: The fact that in-game mail is disabled means that it's currently impossible for account hackers to loot stolen accounts, so we're going to leave it disabled for just a little while longer, while we work to ramp up email authentication.
  • Botting - We'll start substantial banning of bots on Wednesday, August 29. Since we're currently seeing widespread casual, unsophisticated botting, we will start with 72-hour bans for first offenses. In the coming days, as we address the casual botting problem, we plan to switch to our normal policy of permanently banning anyone who runs a bot.
  • Forums - Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit.
  • Next software updates - The next update of the game server and back-end server software will take place tonight at midnight Seattle time. The game may be unavailable for approximately 20-60 minutes while we perform the update. We expect this update to have fixes for email authentication and in-game mail. Our continued work on the Trading Post is not tied to game updates, so we will continue to test Trading Post updates throughout the day.
Tips for Keeping Your Guild Wars 2 Account Secure
They've also posted a new article with tips on how to keep your Guild Wars 2 account secure. You can read the full article here.
  • Always use a strong password that is unique to your Guild Wars 2 account.
  • Set up Guild Wars Account E-mail Authentication when it becomes available.
  • Whenever possible, only check your e-mails from a trusted device.

Comments

#1 Fatalis

Fatalis

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Certainly good to see Anet addressing these issues.

• 2046 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Thank you for this update details, I'm glad they are looking into it.

#3 Voison

Voison

Team Legacy

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

Glad they are looking into the issues. Now hopefully people will relax about everything.
[TL] Voison ~ 내 원수,에 대한 경례
Voison ~ Asura ~ 80 ~ Warrior ~
picture

#4 Rekkie

Rekkie

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

After being pretty quite, this was a nice big update.

I hope we start getting patch notes for the updates they do.

#5 Black Metal

Black Metal

I'm not worthy

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

very glad to see them jump right on this.  There is definitely something fishy going on, with legit password reset emails being sent from Anet that were not requested by the account owners being sent to a giant amount of people.  I'd love to know where the source of the intrusion came from when it gets sorted out.

While that has me very alarmed, I'll be very patient when it comes to all the other network problems they are working on.  Security first.

#6 Racthoh

Racthoh

Bladedancer

• Site Contributors

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

It's frustrating to know the multiplayer aspects of the game are still not working correctly two days after the official launch of the game. One would expect some of these issues to have improved by now, and instead we're losing functionality of the ingame mail. Considering we can't trade to players even if we're standing right next to them, and the trading post is still down, that's a pretty big deal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Neato

Neato

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'm a little sad the authenticators they were talking about weren't the keyfob kind like Blizzard has. Hopefully they get those, too.

Nice to see some of that other stuff though. Wish they'd actually post that kind of stuff on their site though, rather than just Reddit.

#8 malevolence

malevolence

• Community Contributors

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

ahh no mention of CE in-game items :( , when are we suppose to get our Miniature Rytlock, Chalice of Glory and Tome of Influence?

#9 Black Metal

Black Metal

I'm not worthy

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

View Postmalevolence, on 30 August 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

for me, it was when I picked up my CE box and put in the code.  Had to log out of the client, but when I got right back in, they were in the in-game mail.  I do understand that it's not working that way for some ppls though.

#10 Auenwing

Auenwing

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thank you for posting the information.

We were sure something important enough had captured their time / attention based on the shutting down of mail, trading post, forums, etcetera and we weren't naive enough to think it was just performance issues.

Sadly,  looks like our concerns were correct.  Reported 2 gold selling spammers in game today. Was a shock to see them there.

Glad to see that ANet has the determination to do what is needed, despite knowing how some of their customers might complain. Particularly at release. They are doing the right thing to balance the long-term health of the game at a critical point in time.

We are quite willing to put up some inconvenience while they are doing so. Hope to see ANet resolve this, for everybody's sake, including theirs and the game we all enjoy.

Appreciate the time ANet took to keep us posted with information. Getting one large packet of information at one time was a good move. I'm sure they are incredibly busy.

#11 Archduke

Archduke

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm really debating with myself if I should create an e-mail address specifically for GW2/GW1 and change the password to be super complex. Was hacked once over 10 years ago on Runescape (lol!) wasn't fun. I would die if it happened here.

My info, I'm sure is safe and secure, but my email I use for GW2 is over-spammed and filled with junk and get like 20 junk emails every hour. So I have to dig through it to find stuff, like emails from ArenaNet. Thinking it might be time to change.

#12 BlueSmiley

BlueSmiley

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostArchduke, on 30 August 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

That would be a good idea. I got the same thing happening over here. Why didn't I think of that... :rolleyes:

#13 Mena_haxtur

Mena_haxtur

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

I would like to know if they are going to open new spanish servers.......

#14 Denny Haynes

Denny Haynes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

As regards passwords, use ,.?*/@# between the letters. This is supposed to make it harder for the hackers.

Example:; Pa,,.SS?/wOr*&d.

#15 Fhaerron

Fhaerron

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostAuenwing, on 30 August 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

Thank you for posting the information.

Yes, people have missues the mailsystem and they where doing fixes on that. A more sad thing I've saw about 4 diffrent "players" most likly bots who where advertising gold selling sites ..

Hoewever just like you said I have a lot of confidence in Arenanet and I am pretty sure most of the players will be pleased and happy (haters are everywhere though)

Thanks for this usefull post & heads up :)

#16 Coren

Coren

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Excellent news, thank you for keeping us up to date on these things Anet, hope it will soothe some minds.

#17 Sarosna

Sarosna

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

"Trading post is broken" uhhuh, no kidding? Seeing as there is no CoD for mail nor a direct trading option, people are in a pickle. Since it seems to be so hard to maintain the TP, include the CoD and trading features as a back up. It will require a lot of work to implement at this point probably, but it's a million times better solution than leaving people completely stranded when it comes to economy.

Parties, from what I tested with 2 friends, don't work squat. Party members are only tracked on map if they're standing practically next to you. Excluding the fantastic overflow system of course. Party members should be seen on map at ALL TIMES. They're in Lion's Arch and you're in Metricia Province? So what? You should still know where they are for crying out loud.

Not meaning to QQ but these kind of features are a must if they want this game to really be successful. People expect these features. It makes playing the game much less of a chore.

#18 Lydeck

Lydeck

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Haha, the game population is going to get really light for 72 hours if they temp ban everyone that "botted" ,since a huge amount of players were farming those bugged DE's and I'm sure standing there attacking waiting for the respawn will count as a "bot" to them.

#19 romulus71

romulus71

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostLydeck, on 30 August 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

I doubt it. The majority of people actually enjoy playing, not standing around in one spot

#20 Valaria

Valaria

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postmalevolence, on 30 August 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

I got my stuff when I registered my CE code.