Rate Article   * * * - - 2 votes

We've got another post over on Reddit on the karma weapons exploit, permabans and ArenaNet offering a second chance to redeem themselves:

Today we banned a number of players for exploiting Guild Wars 2. We take our community and the integrity of the game very seriously, and want to be clear that intentionally exploiting the game is unacceptable. The players we banned were certainly intentionally and repeatedly exploiting a bug in the game. We intended to send a very clear message that exploiting the game in this way will not be tolerated, and we believe this message now has been well understood.

We also believe and respect that people make mistakes. This is in fact the first example of a widespread exploit in the game. With this in mind, we are offering the members of our community who exploited the game a second chance to repair the damage that has been done.

Thus, just this once, we will offer to convert permanent bans to 72-hour suspensions. Should those involved want to accept this offer of reinstatement, contact us on our support website--support.guildwars2.com—and submit a ticket through the "Ask a Question" tab. Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account.

This is a first and final warning. Moving forward, please make sure you that when you see an exploitable part of the game, you report it and do not attempt to benefit from it.

We look forward to seeing you in game,
Yours Sincerely,
Chris Whiteside- Lead Producer ArenaNet

Comments

#1 Freddy_Fakename

Freddy_Fakename

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd prefer them to stay permanently banned.

#2 Eragon Zarroc

Eragon Zarroc

Vigil Crusader

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Interesting.  Glad to know that some people I know won't be perma-banned anymore after only having the game for a week.  I think anet really managed to get their point across with the initial perma-bans.  [i]Don't exploit![/i]

#3 Tzu Qui Jinn

Tzu Qui Jinn

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

if it looks like an exploit, might not be a good idea to use it, but I agree with the first poster.

#4 Tenicord

Tenicord

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

This is good... and a good lesson. I'm sure some people didn't thing expolit when they were doing it. Like I could see myself saying sweet i can buy this karma items and sell the to vendors for a bunch of gold. And keep doing it without really think I'm exploiting but rather just finding a smart way to make money. I'm sure some maybe even most people knew it was a mistake but i'm sure a bunch of people didn't really realize they were actually "exploiting" the game.

#5 Fhaerron

Fhaerron

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

They should have been permanently banned. They where warned!

I always directly raises a bug ticket if i see an exploit. Everybody should do this instead of exploiting bugs.

#6 Velicia

Velicia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I can understand a non ban if some bought the ONE weapon and didn't sell it a few minutes later (or at all).
If they did, they were clearly abusing the exploit.

#7 XImpalerX

XImpalerX

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

I feel people should be punished for exploiting, but isn't it ultimately not an exploit? That's like me going into Walmart and a product was labeled with the wrong price. I would expect to pay the advertised price. Then Walmart comes back to me a day later and says "Hey we made a mistake, we need you to pay the difference!"

It's ANET's blunder for creating a game that is exploitable. If you can do it, do it right? Of course if I bought 1000 of the prodcut knowing I was taking advantage of the mistake, then that is considered "exploiting."

#8 Buddylee

Buddylee

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

People that were banned just received a blessing from Anet. Consider yourselves lucky. This is a warning shot across the bow for everyone. The zero tolerance rule is nice to see and I hope they stick to it.

#9 NeoN707

NeoN707

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

How did the exploit work?

#10 Tawme

Tawme

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Wow guys.  Didn't think the community here would want them permamently banned.  I mean, hey.  I never had Karma as a currency before, so how the heck would I know about what awesome/cheap things I can buy or sell with Karma?

I still haven't used my Karma to buy anything yet, because I'm worried about what items will get obselete quick when I level up.

#11 Ganntak

Ganntak

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Always gonna be a few bugs n things early doors with all new games ,those that purposefully exploited and cashed in from that have i hope learnt a lesson. Play fair or dont bother!. Anet been taking a bit of flack with the alleged hacking of accounts ,i myself received an email saying attempted email change and to click link didnt ofc. Changed pw for peace of mind though im guilty of using the same pw for many fan sites doh!  But have nothing but praise for this game -Anet you guys are doing an amazing job and the games absolutely top drawer you guys deserve a big pat on the back and keep up the good work banning botters/exploiters ! :D

#12 Seipher09

Seipher09

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

"then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit"

Thats total BS!!!! Arenanet should delete that themselves. What happens after they DONT delete there gold? How will Anet know?

How do you even delete gold?

#13 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Bravo. Swift and just, but not without mercy.

#14 mutuh

mutuh

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's interesting that they are letting people get rid of the profits by themselves. And once they don't they will get re-banned. I'm guessing it's to confirm that you're human and you really care about that particular account.

Some may consider the punishment harsh, but you have to remind yourself that gems can be bought with gold, thus by exploiting the game for gold one is quite literally 'stealing money from the company'.

#15 Achromatis

Achromatis

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

From what Ive read I gather it was buying stuff with Karma, then selling it for gold? I dont see how thats an "exploit", but I dont have the game yet so Im not entirely sure what Karma points are either.

#16 Zhahz

Zhahz

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

[quote name='XImpalerX' timestamp='1346430026' post='1855953']

I disagree since life isn't a contest to see how much you can steal or get away with, and neither is the game.

Games of this complexity will never be perfect, especially not at launch, and there is the idea of "the spirit of the game" (sort of do the right thing for games).

You don't condone stealing by saying, well, nobody was looking, and you don't condone exploiting in a game by saying, well, the code let me do it.  In both cases you know it's wrong and you have a choice.  The people getting banned made the wrong choice.

I applaud ArenaNet for being firm and taking action, because too many companies treat players like little babies and coddle them.  Don't wanna upset subscribers!  Another advantage of GW2 not having a sub is that there's no reason to give cheaters, exploiters, and TOS violators any kind of leniency.

What's sad is there is both support for the exploiters and a lot of misinformation and nonsense being said in-game (and here) as rumors and stuff flow.

ArenaNet REALLY needs to communicate better.  This should be posted on the launcher (and not buried in a nebulous link there) for all to see, not just posted on forums that many players don't ever visit.

#17 lazykoala

lazykoala

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

The innocent people are gonna be the ones who probably bought 5 or less maybe because they wanted a variety of weapons to swap between and didn't know better that the karma price was actually 1/9th of what it was supposed to be. The guilty ones are gonna be those who probably bought anything above 10 or more especially if they bought multiple of the same weapon. Those people know who they are and it really shouldn't take anet to scold them and give them a second chance, so they should consider themselves extremely lucky that they might not get perma banned.

#18 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Now banning people because of a bug in game is wrong, but on the other hand those that got banned should be banned for bad taste and simply put GREED i mean buying weapons for 15k+ karma, really what`s the point ?
If you want to get all items that easy in game you shouldn`t play at all !
I`m disappointed at some people`s behaviour really how low can you go to exploit/cheat in video game ?

#19 Eragon Zarroc

Eragon Zarroc

Vigil Crusader

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

[quote name='Achromatis' timestamp='1346433283' post='1856349']

People were also able to take the weapons, put 4 into the mysttic forge, and get back even stronger weapons.  Easy lvl 80 exotics.

#20 Sifflion

Sifflion

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

[quote name='Achromatis' timestamp='1346433283' post='1856349']

Level 40 Rare weapons at 20 karma. Doesnt sound too good ya?
They all knew something strange was going on, but they still bought tons of weapons, they deserve the permanent ban.