A new blog post from Linsey Murdock describes some of the new "Ascended" gear coming to Guild Wars 2 in the upcoming November update and why it's being introduced. This has become an incredibly hot topic the moment it came out of the oven. Players have stated concerns about future gear progression as well as the role the new infusion slots will have in the game.
You can read this blog post on the Guild Wars 2 official website here, but here's a quick summary for those looking for some answers.
- There will be a new monster condition called "Agony", which is where the new infusion slots come into play.
- Players must "infuse" to protect against this deadly new ailment.
- Infusion slots come in Offensive, Defensive, and Omni protective varieties.
- In terms of rarity, Ascended items fall between Exotic and Legendary.
- Currently, Ascended items only come in the form of rings and back slots, but there's room to expand in the future.
As we watch Guild Wars 2 mature in its Live environment, we have found that our most dedicated players were achieving their set of Exotic gear and hitting “the Legendary wall.” We designed the process of getting Legendary gear to be a long term goal, but players were ready to start on that path much sooner than we expected and were becoming frustrated with a lack of personal progression. Our desire is to create a game that is more inclusive for hardcore and casual players alike, but we don’t want to overlook the basic need for players to feel like they are progressing and growing even after hitting max level. Adding item progression is a delicate process normally undertaken in an expansion, but we feel it’s important to strive to satisfy the basic needs of our players sooner rather than later.
How do you feel about the introduction of a new tier of gear to the game? What about the new Fractal dungeons or Agony? Tell us what you think below!